Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420/420/250
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Another Question for the you all!

Just wanted to run this meal plan past you all and get some feedback.....

Breakfast: Normally None, just dont have time.

Lunch: Burger with a little mustard, no bread or anything else. 1 tiny pickle slice on occasion.

OR

Lunch: Lettuce/1 strip of bacon with grilled chicken. Oil dressing.

Dinner: 1 maybe 2 small Filet Mignon, prepared on grill, nothing else with them.

OR

Dinner: 1/2 cup of grilled chicked mixed with Basil leaves and or lettuce. Light oil dressing.

No Snacks ever, drinking upwards of 150+ ounces of water daily.

Let me know what you all think. Been a few days since I actually got on the right track with Atkins and this is my normal meal plan. Scary enough but it fills me up and I actually feel great since I began this. Plus, without all that sauce and nonsense on top, this stuff actually tastes great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:50

Stats: 244/165/150 Female 5'5"
BF:It is scary!
Progress: 84%

Hey Ren,

Your menu looks pretty good but you may need to eat a little more. I also would recommend some kind of breakfast (jm not a breakfast person either) but I usually will eat some cottege cheese or something.You are doing great with you water!!!! Maybe you could add a few snacks, I snack on pepperoni,ham rolls with cream cheese,broccoli,and pork rinds.You are doing a great job keep up the good work!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:58
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

First you really need to get a breakfast in. Try boiling some eggs ahead of time, so you can just grab them. Maybe some Atkin's canned shakes, those you can grab and drink on the way to work. But I really think you need something.

Also you seem to be a bit light on food, if you don't eat enough your body may hold back thinking you are starving yourself. Eat as much meat as you want till you are satisfied.

May I suggest using Fitday.com and tracking your intake for a few day.

I am really worried that if you don't get enough food to run your body. The basic rule of thumb if you wanted to track your calories is, 10 to 12 times your current weight. And getting more fats in will help you lose better. How many times do you get to here that one in your lifetime?!?

Also I think you need to try and get in some more veggies.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You've got the basic idea but...

Don't skip breakfast. If you do, that means that you are going almost 18 hours without eating at one time and that's a good way to slow down your metabolism. Eat something, even if it's a hard boiled egg on the way out the door or a few slices of cheese. You can also make deli roll-ups the night before with deli roast beef, turkey or chicken spread with cream cheese. Just grab on the way out the door and munch on your way to work.

You also need to add more veggies than a little bit of lettuce here and there. Broccoli, green beans, spinach, cauliflower are all allowed on induction (plus a lot more..check your book for details). They provide much needed fiber and a lot of healthful vitamins and minerals that can only benefit you in the long run. What you listed above is way below 20 grams of carb, so you can easily afford to add a few more veggies into your meal plan. Going less than 20 grams of carb per day will not help you lose faster and the lack of fiber could cause constipation.

You also look a little light on the fat and calories. Your menu above might come to a total of 1,000 calories and that's not nearly enough to sustain even your basal metabolism. If your caloric intake is too low, your metabolism will slow to compensate thinking that you are starving (and you actually are). There's no need to starve yourself even if you have a lot of weight to lose. Eat when you are hungry and until you are satisfied (not stuffed).

Keep at it. Like I said above...you've got the right idea; it just needs some fine tuning.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 19:27

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

Definitely doesn't seem like enough food. I agree with the others, you need to eat breakfast. The Atkins shakes are a good choice since they come already canned and are low in carbs (2g). DON'T get the cafe au lait flavor though! OMG I tried it this afternoon for lunch. I swear the after taste reminded me of the smell of dog food! The vanilla flavor is really yum, though. Also, you could have an Atkins advantage bar.There are lots of flavors- my favorites are chocolate decadence and chocolate mocha crunch. And breakfast isn't limited to "breakfast foods". You could always eat a leftover piece of chicken or pork chop or burger if you wanted.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 19:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
DON'T get the cafe au lait flavor though!

I guess everyone has different tastes. I really like that flavor, but only use them rarely because they seem to make me stall.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 19:56

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%

Hey there!

I understand about the breakfast thing... HOWEVER... "it's the most important meal of the day". REALLY! It can curb mid-morning cravings. And nothing is worse than being hungry when "dieting".

You know what I have? An Atkins shake for breakfast. Instead of the 8 oz, I mix up 12 oz (3 scoops of the powder). It's filling and creamy. I don't know what I'd do without them since I am SO not an egg person.

However, as you may already know these shakes contain sugar alcohol sweeteners that MAY stall loss in SOME FOLKS. I'm lucky that it doesn't seem to be affecting me. But I would recommend trying them out and if they don't stall ya, it's better than NO breakfast.

= Meagan
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi-
Three thoughts:
1) Some wrote about the eating calories at 10-12X your weight rule. This "rule" probably won't work for you, since I sincerely doubt it would be possible to lose much weight if you were to eat 4000+ calories a day. If you are feeling not too hungry with what you are eating (which was definitely on the low side - 1000 calorie-ish). I'd just add in a bit more food in the form of:
2) eating breakfast!! There have been studies where just making people eat breakfast makes them lose weight. Skipping breakfast sets you up for failure. There were lots of good suggestion above. I'll just add a few of my favorites: lo carb hot cereal (keto brand- I guess this takes a few seconds to heat the water, so it is not super-fast), whole milk ricotta with splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon (you can make ahead of time), whole milk unsweetened yogurt, with splenda and vanilla (you can subtract about 7g out of the carb total for 1 cup because it is lactic acid, not carbs)
3) eating more veggies!!!! it doens't look like you are getting nearly enough, and you will end up paying for it in terms of poor nutrition and constipation. Have giant salads- lettuce and spinach are virtually "free." Have veggie snacks. Have steamed veggies with garlic butter (yum). And, once you add on the various dips, dressings, and other toppings, you calorie total should be a bit better.
jess
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Stats: 174/159/138
BF:
Progress: 42%

Another couple of snacks that you might want to throw in there are celery sticks filled with different cream cheese spreads & peanut butter. These seemed to kick my body into gear ( I could feel the heat after eating them). Just make sure you count the carbs & stay to the lower ones.