Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/148/130
BF:25%/25%/20
Progress: 22%
Default This WOE and Paxil/Prozac, etc.

I have been on this WOE to lose 20 lbs since before Christmas-2002. I have stayed constant at 153 or gained (up to 156). I did not lose an ounce. I was taking Paxil at this time.

Three weeks ago I went from Paxil to Prozac. My dr. said it would take a good 2-3 weeks to get a working level of Prozac in my system. I stuck with this WOE the entire time.

I have been testing with stix the past few days and I am anywhere from 15-40 constantly. I have dropped from 153 to 148 and have stayed there without fluctuation. Before I might lose a lb but it came back and then some

I know not everyone takes these medications so this thread is not for everyone. For those of us that do, however, it has been my experience that which type of medication a person takes can have some effect on their success.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default paxil, prozac

Hi-
I am a prozac user (trying to convince my doctor to try 5HTP-a natural supplement) and have found on a low fat diet (weight watchers) I did lose weight 1 1/2 pound week average). It has been another story on Atkins though-lost at first then no loss for 1 1/2 months, then a two pound drop once I started counting calories. I don't understand the difference, but will continue to count calories (max 1250) per day and see if I continue to lose weight. I should mention that my calories on WW must have been around 1,000 per day and I was hungry. I'm also menopausal so hormones come into play. But, as my son says, "calories in, calories out." So, I'll just keep on counting.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 09:41

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Can you post a typical day's menus so we can take a look at what you are consuming? It may be more than the medication that's stalled your progress.

BTW, I take Effexor and have been able to cut my dosage by 75mg. since starting this WOE 5 weeks ago. I have found that I am less depressed, not because of the weight loss, but I simply feel better without all those crappy carbs!

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:06

Stats: 193/193/145
BF:100%
Progress: 0%
Default antidepressants and Atkins

I was wondering if anybody has any info about taking antidepressants while on Atkins. I have been following the induction plan for a couple of months with NO success! Although I feel better, I have not dropped any weight as expected. I was reading in the Atkins book, and on their website about taking antidepressants and not losing weight. Anybody know about this?

I'm taking Celexa... does a different kind of antidepressant work better with Atkins? I tried to wean off, but the depression symptoms came back in a hurry. I have only been taking it for about four months, and life is MUCH better with it. I don't know which is worse, being depressed or carrying around too much weight.

Help me!
Claudinne
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:30

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I take Prozac, and I've lost 72 pounds (so far) since Jan 2002. Do I think it might slow me down? A little, but either I can more quickly be a skinny b**** quickly, or be a skinny nice-lady a little more slowly.

I agree that it would be a good idea if you posted your daily menu, or put it through www.fitday.com (free site) to see what your carbs/fat/calories are.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've been on Effexor since before going low-carb. I believe it helped increase the energy level boost from Ketosis.

I was on Paxil for years and years - VERY happy to be off of that - it worked well early on but ground me down over the years - all my emotions seemed to evaporate. It is good to "feel" again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:11

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:

Talon

I tto am on Prozac, and have lost, some. no where near your amount. I have real problems with this beong a slow weight loss thing, same weight for months it seems and no more inch loss, really need help, can you post you fit day for me for one week or so so I can copuy you..haha.

I cant get below 150, no matter what i try, Very depressed.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have heard that Wellbutrin is a newer antidepressant that doesn't slow you down. I have a friend taking it and she says she FINALLY has some energy and is having some weight loss success.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:45

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:

I take Wellbutrin, and i have lost fine on Atkins. My mom takes Paxil, and she also has lost. When I was on Prozac before, i found that it did not help with my weight. It sucks when medications interfere...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:29

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool anti depressant medications

I take a whole slew of medications for biplar disorder. Wellbutrin is just one of them. Topomax is a mood stabilizer that seems to have a weight loss property to it. The others have a potential to gain weight. I seriously believe that everyone is different. I have been able to lose weight on the Atkins plan. But what has one side effect for one may not react the same way for another it is really hard to tell.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 09:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/199/155
BF:
Progress: 2%
Question celexa too

I am new to Atkins, just started last week. I am now taking 20mg/day of Celexa. Have just gone off of mood stabilizers that have caused 15 lb gain in 3 months. Hoping that low dose of Celexa won't make too much difference. So far weight has just stabilized, but I am going to be patient! I cannot go off anti-depressants. Interested in hearing from any other Celexa users.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:24

Stats: 193/193/145
BF:100%
Progress: 0%
Default Celexa and Atkins

Hi Kathi

I'd love to correspond over email about the Celexa thing... I'm also on 20 mg and can't seem to get the scale moving even with a very strict Atkins lifestyle. I feel much better, but I'd like to feel better with baggy jeans!

Please email me at dvd~jtfgraphics.com

Claudinne
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:24

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Results with Atkins and AntiDepressants

Just wanted to say that I have been taking Zoloft for about 1.5 years and I started Atkins a few months back. I have been able to slowly lose weight while following Atkins.

A friend of mine used to take Celexa and not takes Effexer and she is also successfully losing weight on Atkins too. She lost 8 lbs her first week and she was not exercising at that time.

When I first started Zoloft it killed my appetite and I lost 4 lbs immediately b/c It caused me to lose my appetite. I felt fine and was getting thin at the same time, it was great. Unfortunately, It was only temporary.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:34

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default To Napalil - Counting Calories

Hello there,
I was reading your post and your calorie limit of 1250 caught my eye. I'm no expert at this diet, but I was informed by a Sr. Member that for me personally to lose at this point, I should multiply my current weight X 12 and use that as a guideline as the number of calories I should eat. So today I weigh 123 and my goal will be 1,476. Tomorrow if I weigh 122 my new goal will be 1,464, and so on. My goal is 112 so my lowest calorie intake will be 1,344 and perhaps can be a little higher if I'm exercising regularly.

I have been doing this and slowly losing, but my problem is I still feel hungry. You seem to have great willpower. I was wondering if it is difficult for you to limit yourself to only 1,250 b/c if I did that I would actually be starving. I do have a big appetite anyways.

Do you still feel energetic and satisifed at that calorie limit?

Just curious.