Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/262/170 Female 5'4"
BF:270/261/170
Progress: 8%
Default Moved the Scale in the Closet!!!

I finally broke down and did it! I have read many threads this weekend about people getting discouraged very quickly by stepping on the scale daily. And I realized this was ME! I would get sorta depressed everytime I saw a gain, but I knew it was surely because of my water intake SO I broke down and locked that scale in my closet till Sunday mornings. It was very hard this morning to walk pass the "hidden scale in the closet" but I smiled and told myself...YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Good for you! MaryToU has a Mother's Day Challenge out there for people to promise not to weigh themselves until Mother's Day. Hopefully, the whoosh fairy will bring us all a Mother's Day present. I weighed myself every day for months, I finally broke down and went to weekly weigh-ins, well, I went back to daily weighing. The wait was killing me! So I have joined in on this Mother's Day Challenge, the daily weighing is not good for my mental sanity. MaryToU's thread is here on this forum, probably a few pages back.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:57

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up

You have totally inspired me . Those scales are OUT OF THE BATHROOM. That's right, folks - TWO scales!! I stepped on my digital once and it suddenly said 117.8! Pulled out the other scale - cuz I KNEW there was no way. I was right, which is really a good thing. I would prefer slow loss/slow gain to SUDDEN HUGE GAIN/loss. I don't want to feel like I'm spinning the wheel of fortune (OH, bankrupt! too bad).

But that's all ancient history now. I resolve to wait to weigh myself until Sunday.

WE CAN DO THIS! Happy Monday!
Jinx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

I weigh in every morning and sometimes evenings, I find the scale helps me to stay sharp and focused, if I don't weigh myself I develop the OUT OF SITE, OUT OF MIND - attitude and end up gaining weight,
I have trained myself to be happy if the scale does not move - no movement is better than an increase- any decrease in the scale movement is an extra bonus, and lovely surprise.

So what I am trying to say is that it is important to deal with the issues in your mind, removing the scale is not a final solution, it only delays the problem. Are you guys intending not to weigh at all?? and what will happen if you only weigh once a week/month etc and still find that you didn't lose?? or even worse you gained?? dealing with the real issues and problems is better than dealing with the indications of the problems !!!

sorry if you don't like what I say- just ignore me :-)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:38

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%

I'm in. I had a low-calorie high exercise day yesterday and I'm up a pound today! I suppose constipation, water retention, and other factors are all in play, but it definitely affects me emotionally the entire day.

SandyDown it's not about denial...it's about removing the psycholigical impetus that affects the attitude. As long as I am eating without cheating, I know I will lose. Period. And the weeklyweigh-in is the reward for focusing on my WOE instead of whether or not I burned enough fat or evacuated enough food/water to lose from one day to the next.

I recently started a thread that polled others about how often they weigh and I was shocked to see how many folks get on the scale more than once a day. At some point it moves from ritual to obsession, and that's not healthy.

I'm not willing to wait until Mother's day to weigh myself, but I am switching to weekly weigh-ins.

Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:56

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%
Default so how'd you do today?

I ate breakfast right away...knew i wouldn't get on once I'd added "weight." Y'all manage not to sneak a peek?

Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I am thinking of moving the scale in front of my fridge so I think about things before I put them in my mouth....is that torture or a good idea?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 16:06

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking I walked around...

the scale this morning - hoping to make it until the weekend without a peek .

Jan
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 16:41
Registered Member

Default No Peeking for me!

I am sticking to my guns on this one, I haven't broke out the scale yet! I may even take on the bet of waiting till Mother's Day Everytime I walk pass the closet, I can hear the scale CALLING my name....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 23:52

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

This possibly makes me the worst child in the world, but when is mothers day? Is it May 14th? The more i think about it, the more i think this scale hiding thing is a great idea. It is so awful - you wake up, feel pretty great, go to get into the shower, step on the scale just to 'check', and find it hasn't moved, or has moved in the wrong direction, and my day is off on a bad note.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 00:05

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

May 11th. You are not bad.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 01:07

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Smile Kudos

Good for you Amy! AS i read more and more i realize it's about inches and not pounds. AND feeling better in general!

His amazing grace.......came
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:31

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

I have a question about this...

I weigh the least first thing in the morning...is this the weight I should "go by?"

I think I should lock mine up, too!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:36

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Okay, am I the only one here who would not have to remove the scale to stay off it? LOL...I just get a chuckle because if you are the one who hides the scale, then you know where it is and it would be just as easy to go to where you hid it and get on it as it would be to get on it in the bathroom. Why not just stay off the scale?

Just curious...lol.

L
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Works best for me....OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND