Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/218.5/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Help - DH feeling nauseated during Induction

My DH and I have been Atkins since April 21 and for the most part we have been doing great. DH lost 9 lbs in the first week and has been enjoying this new WOE. But for the last couple of days he has started feeling nauseated in the afternoons.

Has anyone else experienced this?

He has been eating three meals a day plus at least one snack. He has been drinking anywhere from a gallon to three gallons of water a day. His carb count has stayed between 10 - 15 a day while in induction. His caloric intake has been between 1500 - 2500 a day. He's been exercising by walking about a mile to two miles a day.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:15

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

Nausea is common in the beginning of Atkins as your body goes through withdrawal from carbs. 10-15 g. That's really low! You are allowed 20 g per day and I'd suggest trying to get as close to that without going over as possible and see if he feels better tummy wise. I know I've experienced a lot of nausea during induction and it should pass within a month into the plan. Hope this helps a little!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:39
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy

I was very nauseated the first week and a half. It gets better. I was really tired too. The withdrawls were terrible. After you get past that you feel GREAT

Hang in there...I drank tons of water and sometimes had a hard time getting in enough food cause I felt so nauseated. It will pass...promise!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:48

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

3 GALLONS OF WATER A DAY!!!

This may be the problem! Too much water can be toxic. I don't know what the symptoms of drinking too much water are, but it can throw the entire body off balance. It can even be fatal.

8 glasses a day is fine, a few glasses more if you exercise or sweat a lot during the day, or if you are significantly overweight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:02

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Water Intoxication

It's me again.

I checked up on the consumption of too much water.
It's called "hyponatremia." As a person drinks large amounts of H2O, blood plasma increases. As this takes place, the salt content of the blood is diluted. If sweating, you lose even more salt. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.
The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some people show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hypoatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Interesting Footnote:
Water intoxication has become one of the most common causes of serious heat illnesses in the Grand Canyon. Some people hiking the canyon drink large amounts of water and do not eat enough food to provide for electrolyte (salt, potassium) replacement and energy.

I hope the 3 "gallons" was a typo and you meant 3 "quarts."
If your DH has truly been drinking 1-3 gallons a day for an extended period of time, you should call your doctor right away!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:04

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Interesting

I never heard of water intoxication before. In fact all I've heard is get your water and as much as you can handle. I'd think one gallon would be good.. But wondering HOW could one handle more than that. I know I have trouble getting down 1/2 gallon. Interesting I'll have to look into that subject I've never heard of it. Ya learn something new every day I guess.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:07
Registered Member

Stats: 232/218.5/150
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks!!!!

I had no idea drinking too much water could be dangerous. I will let him know right away that maybe that could be causing the problem. Because that was not a typo he really has been drinking on average two gallons of water a day.

I will also make sure he takes his supplements to help replenish what he might be missing.

Thanks again for all the good advice.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:47

Stats: 254/221.5/175
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Thank You for your help with my problem.
I started with my supplements this morning and already feeling better. I decreased my water consumtion too.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:03

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%

I was nauseated for the first 2 1/2 or 3 weeks. It finally disappeared. Hang in there!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:29

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hi swampbabie
I don't know how much your fella weights but 1500 calories per day is way too little for just about any man! I hope he doesn't intake that little on a regular basis. I am a slight woman and I can easily maintain on that!

Remember, this is supposed to be easing you into a lifetime of good habits - eating enough, eating your veggies. I think lotsa people (particularly men?) do it in the most drastic fashion and end up crashing and burning. The ATkins plan is drastic enough without narrowing the parameters, IMHO.

www.atkinscenter.com - maybe a new look at rules of induction would help?

And, yes, the nausea will pass if the program is done properly.
Lecture over.

Good luck!!
Jinx

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 16:48.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:50

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yes, with all that water he's probably still experiencing a lot of electrolyte loss and dehydration. I've said it (typed it ) a thousand times but I will again: Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium are the most essential supplements on a low carbohydrate diet... especially in the beginning.

Make sure that hunk of yours gets em in!