Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:19
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Ruh Roh! I screwed up

Hi All,

I went grocery shopping and bought some carrots thinking that I saw them on the list of Acceptable Foods for Induction.

So, today I took a few to work to have for the first time. I was sitting with some co-workers at lunch, and my friend who used to follow Atkins politely told me that carrots weren't allowed on Atkins.

I stopped eating them immediately and ran back to my desk after lunch to double check the Atkins site. Sure enough, carrots are no where to be found. EEKKKKKKK! I ate about a cupful, but the rest went immediately into the garbage (after I tried to unsuccessfully pawn the rest on to some of my colleagues).

I'm just hoping I didn't screw myself.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:27

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

According the Atkins a medium carrot will run you 7.3 grams of carbs, with 2.2 grams equaling fiber (so net carbs is 5.1 grams) I'd say limit your carbs for the rest of the day and for dinner. Good thing is you did it early, and you have the whole day to burn off those nasty carbs.

Just ran it through Fitday... a cupful is 11 grams of carbs, with 3 grams equaling fiber (so net carbs is 8 grams)

Last edited by Crimson : Fri, Apr-25-03 at 13:31.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Oooops - carrots are on the starchy side and have a good supply of natural sugar. Be sure to read the list and try to stick with that.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:32
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks. Yep, I'm not having any more carbs the rest of the day. NO way, no how. I guess that was my first cheat in 11 days. GRRRRR

I have that darn Acceptable Foods list printed out and I have been following Atkins to the T. Oh well, no one's perfect. I'm just so mad at myself for not being more careful.

Thanks guys.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 2875//169 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 3%

I have a cold and took nightquil last night and just realized that it probably has sugars (not to mention alcohol) Crazy ol' medicines.

We all make mistakes - it is just important to keep on going and learn from the mistakes.

Look on the bright side - those are carrots and not cookies so at least you got a few vitamins out of the deal.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:05
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Youre right Smilyus. I'm not going to dwell on my mistake.
Hey, I see you're in Mpls. We are 5 hours apart. I was just in Mpls twice recently. Love that Mall of America!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:18

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

You know things are getting a bit silly when you get upset about eating a few carrots. They are "banned" because of a somewhat higher glycemic index. But acting like carrots are the same as Coke is just silly.

When you start raising your carbs someday, what to you think you will be eating?

The primary reason I am on my own plan, instead of calling it Atkins, is because I eat a few baby carrots every day. It hasn't slowed me down or caused me to go out of ketosis. Its those bacon and eggs breakfasts I have on weekends that raise my weight - probably a little water retention because of the salt.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:50

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

It's often hard to remember stuff if you just rely on trying to remember what's on a list. I find if I underderstand something, I will remember better. For example, carrots are a root vegetable. What's the main purpose of a root ? To store energy for the plant, i.e. sugar of some sort, so that would make me think that carrots were less than ideal.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:52
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

George dear,

You can think me getting upset is silly if you want. Opinions are like *ssholes, everyone has one.

However, I'm trying to do this right, and... it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Have a nice weekend.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:55
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

manucpa, thanks for the tip. thats great
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 15:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hey Zora, I, too, made that very same mistake. But at least in your case it was caught early. Not in mine. I just assumed, duhhhhh, carrots were vegetables, therefore, safe to eat. I knew I wasn't to eat corn or, obviously, potatoes. I never really did much about it. I still lost 21 lbs. in four months (who knows if the weight loss would have been even faster without those darned carrots)! Happy LCing!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 15:44

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

YOU TELL 'EM ZORA!!!

#13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:02
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Paradise.. 21 lbs in 4 months is great! You are doing so good. Congrats!

MsJinx..
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I was reading the carb count onthe bag of mini carrots, there are not as high, as I thought they were, sorry can't quote it right now, but I will have one as I'm puttign them into my sons lunch, or throw one in my lunch and its a nice change.

If I were you though, I'd buy the book, it's so much for useful then just doing it off the net, lots of other info in it. Mostly it's right there to refer to, so you find out right then what you want to know. I know I can not always get to the computer. Theres no way I could of done this diet ( and with great results too I might add ) without the book.

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%

Don't be upset. I ate nuts the whole time on Induction. Have and read the book so don't know where I got that from. It didn't slow me down from losing 15 lbs in 2 weeks, so the carrots won't either. Have faith.