Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:35

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 144/141.5/132
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Discouraged

I STARTED ATKINS IN 2/6/02. I THINK I HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN I HAD MY FIRST ICE CREAM & CAKE AT MY NIECES B-DAY PARTY. I HAVE ONLY LOST 4 LBS. IN 2 MONTHS! I HAVE LOST INCHES AND CAN FIT INTO CLOTHES THAT WERE REALLY TIGHT. I AM DISCOURAGED THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET UNDER 140 LBS.! I AM NOT IN KETOSIS NOW SINCE MY FALL OFF THE WAGON YESTERDAY. I READ THAT TAKING HRT MAKES YOU MORE RESISTENT TO WEIGHT LOSS. I AM ONLY TRYING TO LOSE 10 LBS. I HAVE A MUSCULAR BUILD, WEAR SIZE 6 AND I FROM ALL OTHER POSTS, I SHOULD BE HAPPY ABOUT MY SIZE, BUT I REALLY WANT TO GET DOWN TO 132-135. I'VE NOT EXERCISED 40 MINUTES 3-5 DAYS/WEEK. I CAN USUALLY CAN GET IN 30 MINUTES 2-3X/WK. I NEED ENCOURAGEMENT AND ADVICE ON WHAT ELSE TO DO. I CAN'T DO THE INDUCTION FOREVER! WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND OUT HOW MANY CARBS I CAN EAT AND STILL LOSE.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/195/155
BF:
Progress: 17%
Angry Discouraged Newbie Too!

Hi,

I'm a newbie from North Carolina and I am struggling too! I've lost 8 lbs but that was in the first two weeks. I've been on the Atkins plan religiously since March 1st. I am in the 15 range of ketosis but not losing weight. I'm about to give up and go back to Weight Watchers! How are you hanging in there?

Tammy in NC
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:21

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hi meateater!

well.. I would have to say, you have lost some weight on induction, which is good. The other thing that comes to mind is that many people lose in the first few weeks, then they begin to stall and stay at the same weight for quite some time. You could also be doing some damage with eating such little carbs and doing the exercise you are doing. One thing you could try is upping your carbs a bit.. say, bring them up by 5grams per week, with the same amount of exercise, and see what that does... also, make sure you are getting enough water!

Sometimes it gets discouraging, and also, as you have less to lose, it is harder to lose. I am there too. I havent lost anything in pounds, but have seen the change in inches. When it comes right down to it,.. .lost inches are more representative than what the scale says. Be kind to yourself okay?

hope this helps some, hang in there.. adding a few more carbs (veggies) could help shake things up abit. Also check how much you are getting for protein. You may need more protein!

cheers,
j
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 07:58

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default welcome Meateater

You have such a small amount to lose... it will take a while to do it... generally speaking, the fewer pounds to lose... the slower it goes. It's your body trying to protect itself.

Don't let it worry you! And stay away from the cake and ice cream... that will just slow it more!

Welcome Aboard!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 10:33

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 144/141.5/132
BF:
Progress: 21%
Cool

can you believe this?? Yesterday, I drank a ton of water and was peeing every 30 min. Today, the scale says 139! I ate all protein..eggs, cheese, chicken, tuna fish, Atkins protein shake and 1/2 cucumber! It must be water weight. I am still not in ketosis. I have a challenging weekend of entertaining, but I'll be getting exercise-walking and carrying my golf clubs! Thanks for all your help!! I know that this type of diet is the best for me, but I do miss the fruit and my weakness is wheat thins & chocolate!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:19

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi

Glad to hear you broke 140. Just wanted to comment that I have been on HRT for over 11 years and I have managed to lose 24 pounds. Relative to your current weight it is true it is slower if you only have a few pounds to lose. Most of us on this board are planning on doing this for our lifetime and do not look at it as a weight loss plan. And...inches are more important to the way we look than what it says on the scales. It takes a long time to reprogram yourself to think the opposite of what we thought we always knew to be true.

Good luck to you.

Rose
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:24

Stats: 171/157/149
BF:
Progress: 64%

Newbie here, but willing to put my two cents in.

I really think you need to increase your exercise time to 3-4 times a week and at least for 30-40 mins. Is seems like the folks that have the most amount of success have a pretty good exercise routine.

I have been able to get the exercise in but with 200-300 gms of Carbs a day I have gotten FAT! Now I am working on the diet.

Hang in there!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:32

Stats: 218/198/155
BF:39.7/36.7/28
Progress: 32%
Smile I'm new here and need some help :)

Hi,
I have been doing the low carb thing for a while. The two times I had to lose weight in my life I did the low-carb without knowing and lost everything, but with a doctor. Now I'm trying on my own, with the Atkins, and I know it works, but in 2 months I have lost only 15lbs. I'm doing the induction again but it seems to be stuck. I exercise everyday. I read someone say something about exercising and having to increase the carbs. Can someone help me? I eat nothing but MEAT, CHEESE, EGGS and TUNA! No veggies, no fruit, no nothing! Why my khetostix not dark purple??
What am I doing wrong???
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:46

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi Dany:

You say you don't eat veggies or salads. There is the biggest problem. You should eat at least 2 cups of salad per day and 1 cup of veggies. Doing low carb means you must ingest some carbs..on Induction 20 carbs and on OWL adding in 5 carbs at a time to find your CCL (critical carb level) to find out how many carbs you can eat without gaining weight. I believe eating what you are eating is more like the Stillman Diet and not meant for a long period of time.

I suggest you re-read the Atkins book again to refresh your mind on what foods to eat.

Good luck to you.

Rose
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 15:04

Plan: HCG/Atkins
Stats: 143/134.3/125 Female 5'5"
BF:30.6
Progress: 48%
Default HRT

Hi! What kind of hormones and how much are you taking?

I am on premarin and provera and am having a very hard time losing.....bouncing between 143 - 140.5.. Eating breakfast for me is a problem... no time and poor planning.

I know RBalhan says she has no problem losing while on hormones, but I don't know what kind..

At any rate, hang in there....patience is a virtue.......Happy LCing and good luck!

Dianne