Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Angry How to handle invites?

More of a rant, really...

Last weekend being Easter, we were invited to my husband's grandmother's house for dinner and there wasn't a single low-carb thing there. I was hungry, and have always been taught to eat what's served to me at someone else's house, so I went ahead and ate what there was. It was sugar-drenched honey-baked ham, cheesy potato casserole, green bean casserole (never liked it even was I wasn't lcing) and rolls. Not even salad was available! So I ate enough to not have my stomach growling at me but I really didn't like it.

Now this weekend, my husband and I have been invited to a friend of his from work's house to have dinner and play games. He said he'd have his wife make her pizza that's supposedly the best thing around. The thing is, I don't WANT to cheat. I don't want to be rude, either. I had my husband tell his friend that we'd be glad to come over to play games, but that we'll have dinner before we come because I'm low-carbing. The problem is, that I just can't get over the feeling that this is being rude.

I feel that if I am going to cheat, not only should it be a planned cheat, it should also be one that I enjoy. I don't want some yucky carby food that I don't even like.

How do the rest of you handle these situations? I've frequently told people I am low-carbing, but most of the people I know don't seem to get it. They think it's some crazy diet that I'll just go offo of at some point. My friend at work was even nagging me about eating spinach because she said it wasn't allowed on Atkins! Good grief!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:55

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I let people know that I have a serious medical condition, (I do, morbid obesity) and that I would much rather have the pizza (I would), but for the sake of my health I need to follow a special diet. All of this is true-It doesn't evoke the same sort of response as saying I am dieting (In whatever form). People seem more than willing to understand and I offer to bring my own meal so that I don't put the host/ess to any extra trouble.

This WOE is not an option for many of us-It is essential to our health and longetivity. Here's to your health!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:15

Stats: 220/000/145
BF:
Progress: 293%
Default You could always say.......

that you have a sensitivity to flour and sugar and can't eat some of the food. At the family get-together---you could pretend to feel sick to your stomach. You could even bring an Atkins bar and eat it in the bathroom to get over the hungries.

Regarding social situations:

I always offer to bring stuff. Sometimes I don't even offer, I just bring it. You could bring a great salad and a cheese and vegetable plate. You could bring some fruit(if you're eating fruit). If you bring stuff you can eat, you can fill your plate up with that stuff and take a piece of pizza too. You can either eat the pizza(one piece) or somehow get it into the garbage without other folks knowing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:34
Registered Member

BF:

I do like the idea of telling people that I have a medical condition that doesn't allow me to eat things like flour and sugar and I think that will work with the people we're going to see this weekend, but I just don't think that will go over too well with family. I expect them to be nosy and want to know what condition is it that I have. Most of them already know I am low-carbing but they haven't been all that considerate of it. Matter of fact, my husband's grandmother was supposedly starting Atkins when I saw her the week before Easter (so I had hopes for low carb options), but then when we showed up on Easter, she and her husband informed me that "Atkins doesn't work" and that they can't eat a diet "without any vegetables." I tried explaining to them that they need to read the real book, not just the Atkins cookbook that they had read, but they were having none of it....they're headed back to the cabbage soup diet. They just aren't in the right frame of mind!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:57

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I go everywhere prepared. I never go anywhere more than 2 hours without food and water. I bring a cooler chock full of things I CAN eat, just in case the food is off limits for me, or I am still hungry. So far so good, I don't believe I have offended any hosts yet, nor do I mean to anyhow. You have to get over how other people feel, their feelings versus your own health. You have to look out for #1!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:38
Registered Member

BF:

I do want to look out for me, but the way I'd like to do it isn't by dragging food around with me every time I get invited somewhere. I'd much prefer to just eat my dinner before I go over there and then no eat there. I'm just not into social eating anymore. Why can't we just go visit people and hang out and not feel like we have to eat? And I don't really want to have to lie and say that I have a medical condition because that just opens the door to too much nosiness. I just really want to eat at home and then go see people....sounds simple in theory, but I just don't know how to tell people that without offending them. <sigh>
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:58

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I think you have the right idea. Eat before you go. There's no law against refusing a dinner invitation. Then meet after dinner.
With family it shouldn't be a problem. You're an adult now and can choose what you eat. As was mentioned above take some dishes to family gatherings so you will have something to choose from. Don't let them pressure you into doing something against your principles.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 19:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Whenever I am invited to a party, I always bring something low carb. That way I know there is at least one dish I can eat. It's accepted practice around here to bring something, so no one thinks I am strange.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 22:45

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

This is usually not a problem with my family, but at our friends they always have potatoes with everything, so I bring the salad! That way I can have what I like and I can try to be a good influence too!

Salad goes great with pizza. Just eat the toppings on the pizza. I know a lot of people who just don't like crust.

Last edited by twofoofers : Thu, Apr-24-03 at 22:48.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 06:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/230/150
BF:
Progress: 27%

I've been low-carbing for 3 years. My family is used to it by now. My sister-in-law is VERY considerate (ain't I lucky?) and always makes things my hubby and I can eat. She makes things everyone else likes too. She's a GREAT cook.

I tell people I don't eat starchy foods or sweets. If they want to know more I tell them I avoid carbohydrates. If they still want to know more I tell them I do it for my health, that my body does not react well to carbs. If they are REALLY nosy, tell them you are border-line diabetic (which is probably true for most of us) and you would rather avoid going over that border.

As for pizza - you CAN EAT PIZZA - just don't eat the crust. I have it regularly. I just scrape the toppings onto a plate and eat them. Lawsy it is good. Of course you eat more pieces than other folks because you aren't filling up on bread.

But, if you friend is having a pizza dinner you'll not want to eat a whole pizza yourself (believe me, I could). So, as others have suggested, let your hostess know that you are on a restricted diet for medical reasons and while you will have some of her wonderful pizza you will bring some food for yourself. Like dessert - make some yummy chocolate mousse and let everyone else just smell it.

Have fun with LC - you are doing right by yourself and should not be embarrased.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 08:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile Lots of good advice here

To start with, you should probably eat something before you go, then eat some pizza toppings. This will please both you and your host.

Don't feel guilty or rude for preserving your health. One good tactic is to tell people you're allergic to wheat, which is probably the honest truth anyway. Another is to tell them that you've discovered that you have blood sugar problems, which is also true, and that you therefore need to avoid starch and sugar. People tend to become solicitous instead of difficult if you have a health problem.

Families can be tough to deal with, since any change from established routine is usually resisted. Maybe you could tell them you're at risk for developing diabetes and need to avoid sugar and starch. You're not lying, you're just playing up the truth.

Your friends and family will probably need educating on what constitutes lo carb, since people automatically go to low fat instead, but if you ask for help in managing your "condition" you might be amazed at how accomodating they'll become. Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Georgia,

I vote for either skipping dinner with your game friends, or bringing something. As for family... I had to deal with this with my mom recently. What worked for me was to be honest and say, "Mom, I can't even *tell* you how much better I feel when I stay away from the sugar and starch. My acne, PMS, and even my moods are improved. I have lots of energy. When I fall off the wagon, I feel terrible. I'm not myself. I don't want to be grouchy and tired while I'm here, so I'm only going to eat the stuff I can tolerate." That worked.

If a family member feels rejected because you didn't eat their food, that's <b>their</b> problem, not yours. Don't feel guilty - just say NO.

Best o' luck!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:32
Registered Member

BF:

Well, my DH just told them that I'm on a diet that's working really well for me, and that I'd rather just eat at home before we come over. Works for me! I just can't bring myself to go to someone's house who I barely know and only eat the toppings off their homeade pizza. If it was someone I knew well, that would be different, but I've only met these people once.

The thing about easter is that I had expected it to be low-carb since my hosts told me only one week before easter that they were doing Atkins too. Oh well, my mistake. I shouldn't have assumed they would take it as seriously as I have. Next time there's a gathering like that, I guess I will have to take my own food.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 22:11

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just had a business meeting today - at an Italian restaurant. I just bit the bullet (actally, the baked ravioli!) and skipped dessert. The folks I met with LOVE this restaurant and even if I don't lose this week, I'll make up for it in money!

Fortunately my family thinks I'm quite odd already and won't question my eating habits. Although they do tease a lot, like when I was a vegetarian for a year. (That year I gained 20 pounds!) My family always encouraged us to stand up for ourselves, even when our stance was unpopular, and it's served me well as an adult.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.