Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 154/150.5/132
BF:25%/22%/15%
Progress: 16%
Question food count books in nz HELP!

Hi hope someone from nz can help I do have a couple of food count books and the zone blocks book but they all list US products are the any books good for nz products to count carbs,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 23:33
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I am from the US and i don't know the answer to your question but i just wanted you to know that some of us are out there listening...unfortunatately I don't know all the answers But I'm working on it

Bye yA
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 03:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%
Default Food Count books in NZ

Hi Jules420
I have been looking myself each time I'm in a Whitcoulls or similar but nothing yet. I seem to remember some years ago seeing a small book for diabetics with glycemic (?sp) index counts in it, maybe it also had carb counts.
Possibly a call to your local diabetic group/hospital dept might throw up something.
There is an Aust web site - I think there is a sticky about it at the top of this forum -that gives the carb count on a lot of Aussie brands - many of which we have.
Let me know if you have any luck.
Cheers
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 154/150.5/132
BF:25%/22%/15%
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Macadamia no luck yet. It hard

Hi thanks for the reply ( what part of nz are you from) no luck on the books yet trying hard to be good over easter with no luck once I fall off the wagon it seems to take me days to be good again this I am finding hard to cope with and it is getting harder. I have just printed of a week food plan from the zone som hopefully if I follow that it will be easier I just have to keep trying my weight is not going up but it not going done either and I seem to be really bloated around the middle. Being able to come on line helps I think I need to do it more to help keep focused. Good hearing from you all.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 18:28

Hi Jules
I'm from Auckland too.
Wasn't too bad over Easter - a few little indulgences, but with this WOE I just plough on - don't have to worry about weighing in like at WW or the like. Recently when I had tried to do WW - I had abandoned it most days by morning tea time - where with this I don't feel like that after any small slip ups - I just think - well that's a few more carbs than I should have had - not like well I'm a failure at this so I'll have a pig out !!
I'm a terrible "picker" or snacker and that's me and probably I'm not going to change at my age -(which is about the same as you) but with LC so long as it's LC picking I'm having it's OK.
I started this late last year and "did it" all over Christmas time and you know what that's like in NZ - food, food, food-and still didn't put any weight back on -so I'm staying with it.
As you will see from my journal this is really slow for me - but it is working - haven't been under 70kgs for so long - so am really thrilled. Was 67.5 the other morning and a few people have noticed - that's not my main purpose of course - just want to be back down around the 63kg mark and look OK in my clothes.
It took me a while to get into this, this site has been amazing -I've just read heaps and I guess learned heaps about how LC really works. Are you taking any supplements ? - other times I tried this I wasn't but I can see how they help and are probably essential.
This is a bit of a ramble but hope it helps
Still keeping a look out for the NZ carb count books.
Have a good Anzac Day

Last edited by macadamia : Thu, Apr-24-03 at 18:29.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 19:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:49%
Progress:
Thumbs up

hi there

another kiwi here well i was in whitcoullss and i picked up a book called "FAT & FIBRE counter by Jo Fowler its a new edtion and completly nz products and it lists the carb gram and %
seems ok but it is stating low fat diet is the way to go so i ignore that part but it lists the important carb content and thats what we need .im still learning this atkins thing so i hope this book does help.
due to a complication im not able to start my weight loss stomache ulcer or gall stones having tests done
so i hope this post is of some use to is published by penguin

cheers D.J

CENTRAL NORTH ISLAND
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 21:30

Thanks DJ
I'll be near a Whitcoulls tomorrow and will have a look. Best of luck with the tests - I wonder if starting off just reducing your carb intake will help you (not induction level) -would be interesting to know?
Cheers
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 23:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: food count books in nz HELP!

Quote:
Originally posted by jules420
Hi hope someone from nz can help I do have a couple of food count books and the zone blocks book but they all list US products are the any books good for nz products to count carbs

I understand New Zealand and Australia sometimes list carbohydrates and fiber on nutritional labels differently than American labels. Here in the States the fiber is always listed separate from the carb and deducted to arrive at the "net carb". Apparently, it isn't always listed that way on the other side of the pond! For instance: Flemings Bran Flakes: Total Carbohydrate is 24 grams per 100 grams(weight) and Dietary Fibre is 44 grams per 100g.
Following our rules: 24 - 44 = -20
There is no such thing as a negative carb!
Watch your labels carefully!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 01:48

Smile Fat and Fibre Counter Found

Have found the book D.J. mentioned - will be useful - but need to be aware that amounts are mostly given for 100gr of any given food - not always an amount that is used frequently - but a quick look at the carb count ( in comparison with known amounts )gives a pretty good indication of what's high in carbs and what's not
Found the books at Whitcoulls - St Lukes - Auckland

Last edited by macadamia : Tue, Apr-29-03 at 01:50.