Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 11:59

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Negative Attitude from BC Baker

Wow, I could not believe the negative attitude shown in this email I got today. I had written to ask Best Breads if they had any LC breads.. You can see the response below:

"Hello Jean,

I am wondering if you carry or make any low carb breads?

Not at present.

There is a HUGE untapped market here in the lower mainland for them .

Possibly. You are the first person to enquire about low carb breads.

Hoping that you have (or will soon have) good news for me - I can spread the word really fast on the various mail lists and computer forums I'm registered with .

We are currently loaded with products, but once we open our retail location the variety will increase. As far as low carb breads, my personal opinion is that it is similar to consuming low calcium milk, low vitamin C orange juice, or low iron spinach -- what's the point? Certainly, it must be a product that caters to dieters, but I prefer to advocate exercise rather than cutting calories. I, as you can imagine, eat a lot of bread, yet not an ounce of fat on me. If you know of other reasons for consuming low cal. breads, other than avoiding exercise, I'd appreciate any information that could be sent my way. But of course my personal opinion doesn't count if enough people are interested in a particular product.

I will discuss low carb breads with my partner.

Regards,

Scott
www.BestBread.Ca
Wholesome breads and condiments to your door
."

Not exactly enthusiastic, is he?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/178/150 Female 5 feet, 11 inches
BF:
Default Re: Negative Attitude from BC Baker

Never mind the lack of enthusiasm, that e-mail makes me think this Scott guy is an ignorant jerk!

Quote:
I prefer to advocate exercise rather than cutting calories. ... If you know of other reasons for consuming low cal. breads, other than avoiding exercise, I'd appreciate any information that could be sent my way.

And who the hell asked his opinion???

Quote:
But of course my personal opinion doesn't count if enough people are interested in a particular product.

Yes and no, Scott. If the product is there, many people will buy it - expect those that know you're a dumba**

You've got me mad now Jean, I'm ready to kick some....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:38

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I will second that!!! How dare he, people would use a LC bread.

He has not right to say we would use it to avoid exercise. I exercise at least three times a week and ride a bike when at home.

I hope no one buys his stupid bread!!!!

Windy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:40

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Sorry maybe I should not have said anything. Just upset me reading that post. People talk and do not even know what they are talking about.

Windy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 13:45

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Concur

I have to concur....whatever happened to the customer is always right? people like that are in business for the wrong reasons.....let's hope it was just a bad day for him and he really doesn't have his head that far up you know where!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've run into the same type at Choices, in the pharmacy section no less! I guess these fitness types like to hype about the benefits of exercise, just like we hype about the benefits of low-carbing. He's entitled to his opinion, but... there is a time and a place, and this wasn't either.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:02

BF:

Hey, don't apologize for anything you've said.. that's why I posted it. I just couldn't believe how ignorant he was. And replying in such a fashion to not only ONE potential customer, but MANY (as I inferred in my original email to him). Avoiding exercise, indeed!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:40

BF:

I just responded to that email.. This is what I said (I was trying for a "reasonable" tone, even if that's NOT how I felt!! lol

I am sorry that you have such a negative, judgmental attitude towards people who believe in the low carb way of life. You may not realize that there are plenty of avid fitness buffs as well as "dieters" who exercise several times a week, who would ALL prefer a high protein, low carb alternative to normal bread. Note that I did not say "low calorie". There are many such bread choices in the USA, with more arriving every day. Canada will not be far behind. However, if you choose to ignore the potential market that I am suggesting to you, so be it. Someone else will step in and reap the benefits.

Ick, now that I re-read it, it does seem a little ... ummm, annoyed? Oh well, c'est la vie.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:47

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I found it nicely put, and straight to the point. Keep us updated if he responds... maybe we'll all email him and give him something to think about!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 15:49

BF:

Hahaha.. now that would be funny! But counter-productive if we "scold" him, perhaps. However, he did say that mine was the first request for low carb bread......
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:17

Stats: 237/178/150 Female 5 feet, 11 inches
BF:

Well put response Jean. If I was corresponding with him, I'd have to stop myself from starting the letter "Dear Ignorant Jacka..." lol

Keep us updated on any future responses.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:36

Plan: not sure
Stats: 168/165/135
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs down How ignorant

There are a million responses to such narrowmindedness (whew is that all one word!!LOL) But it annoyed me so much I am sputtering lol.

Sherry
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 16:59

BF:

I just realized that I didn't post my ORIGINAL email to Best Breads... in case you're interested, here it is:

"I am wondering if you carry or make any low carb breads? There is a HUGE untapped market here in the lower mainland for them.

I believe Food For Life [NB Best Breads *already* buys breads from Food for Life - specifically their gluten-free and "sprouted" varieties ] - makes two low carb breads (http://www.food-for-life.com/summary.asp?cat=26) and also Nature's Own Reduced Carbohydrate Premium Wheat (http://www.naturesownbread.com).

Then, there are some Canadian bakeries that have developed their own, such as Lakeview Bakery in Calgary (http://www.organicbaking.com). They had this to say recently about their Low Carb bread:

"Yes, we have just developed a high protein/low carb bread with NET CARBs of 3 grams of carbs per 28 gr slice. Total carbs =7 gr - 4 gr of fiber = 3 gr net carbs. It contains water, High protein flour, wheat gluten, wheat bran, defatted soya flour, roasted pea flour, sea salt, yeast, natural enzymes and sunflower oil (NO SUGAR). It has a good flavour and we are having a hard time keeping up with demand. This week we made 250 loaves and this is only the 3 rd week of production."

Hoping that you have (or will soon have) good news for me - I can spread the word really fast on the various mail lists and computer forums I'm registered with."

So, the tone of my original email was extremely helpful - I pointed out 2 potential sources of low carb bread for them to resell (one of which they already deal with) and gave him contact info for another Canadian baker who has developed his own bread - a list of ingredients FOR that bread AND a clue as to how well a bread of their own might sell... Gawd, I'm offended at the response I got!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:42

BF:

Still no reply to my last email.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 12:40

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi,

I am newish here - actually started Atkins a year ago and last a short time but am back now with a vengeance! On day 5 of induction and doing okay. This site and forum is a godsend!

I think we all should email this fellow - and let him know politely that we are all here, that we all read his response and would like him to explore the possibility of carrying low carb bread.

If we don't do this he will never know the number of us in the Lower Mainland who would purchase his product.

Sally