Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/136.6/120
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Sweet Tooth

What do you recommend for a sweet tooth during the induction phase of Aktins - if any thing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Linwag, welcome!

I highly recommend not feeding that sweet tooth.

In a few weeks, you'll find that your tastes have changed dramatically, and sweet things will no longer hold their allure.

Meanwhile, I found taking L-Glutamine worked wonders at removing sweet cravings. I followed Dr Atkins' directions of 500mg ½ hour before each meal. It really, really helped!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:31

BF:
Default Thanks

Rosebud,

Thanks! I hope I'm responding to your feedback correctly. If not would you please let me know
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Started as a 'normal' diet. Now on Atkins. Check my sig.
Stats: 315/215/180
BF:
Progress: 74%

Cravings, arg. I know the feeling there.

I used to be insanely addicted to soda and caffeine. I'd drink nearly a case a day! I stopped whenever I started dieting and I've drank nothing but water for 9 months. It's all about asserting yourself and saying "I can do this."

Don't bow to your cravings, make your cravings bow to you. We can do anything we want to do if we put our minds to it. If you feel yourself getting distracted and eyeing something that's forbidden, do anything you can to get your mind off it.

And of course, now, I don't even want soda anymore.

Last edited by robzero : Tue, Apr-22-03 at 22:44.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 23:58

Stats: 200/163/150
BF:
Progress: 74%

Linwag,

Welcome! Sweet cravings are pretty normal during the first two weeks of induction, but like Rosebud said, they absolutely will diminish!! I looked at induction as a two week test. Every time I got a craving for sweets (and yes, sweets were my downfall) I'd drink a glass of water. Hard, yes, did it curb the desire for sweets, nope, not completely. I felt like I did something positive though and until those cravings "hit the road" doing positive things seemed to help me through. Believe it or not, the cravings do go away. Cravings are simply a sign of your body saying "give me the quick fix" a last ditch attempt to get you to succumb before it gives up and starts to burn fat! At least that's how I look at it.....now when I get the occasional urge for sweets I try to smile and think that my body must be ready to lose more fat, otherwise it wouldn't be sending out those "emergency flares" in the form of cravings.....

Hang in there, once you get past induction, the freedom and control you gain over those cravings make this lifestyle a truly desirable one!!!

Good luck

M
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:27

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

The others are absolutely correct, of course. However, you ARE allowed some heavy whipping cream and sweeteners on Induction, so if the cravings get RRRRRRRREALLY bad.. that's an option Just stick to the allowed amount and watch the scale.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:02

BF:
Default Thanks

Thank you all so much for taking the time to write. I've never in my life been able to stay on a "diet" for more than a couple of days. Always giving into the gravings - then saying oh well, guess I blew - there's no chance for me now! I appreciate the postive feedback about sticking to the rules of the induction phase and making up my mind to do what I know I need to do. I really want this for me this time.
Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/192/135
BF:39
Progress: 19%
Lightbulb Sweets Craving

Linwag

I know your feeling. This is only my first week and sometimes I just want to hurt somebody. hahahahaha.... Instead, I reach for sugar free jello (0 carbs) and the can whipping cram with (0 carbs). That seems to do the trick for me.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 18:37
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi,

I can only speak for myself, but I'm really glad I just went cold turkey on the sweets during Induction, and did not have any sweeteners.

The desire for more variety got me to try out some of the low carb treats and sweeteners. And while they're yummy, they do seem to promote cravings in me. I had no cravings in the first two or three weeks on Induction, only when I began to add in sweetener (I'm on week 7). So, I'm now reserving sweetener for VERY occasional treats only.

Why not try to do the two weeks without treats. Like Rosebud says, you'll be surprised how much your tastes change. I couldn't believe how naturally sweet foods like peppers, tomatoes and onions tasted all of a sudden. I also lost my desire for salt and I used to be a major saltaholic. Foods taste much better to me now in their natural state. I added berries in week four or so and they were heavenly plain!

Give it a go!

Good luck.

Kaillean
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:05

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

COLD TURKEY is the way BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!!!!!! That innocent looking little jello just about wrecked my life! Wasn't that a movie in the 50s?

I made a bowl of that fruity stuff and was DRINKING IT before it jelled!! Yes, that was quite a low moment...no, I didn't have to set down the bong first. There were no legal or illegal intoxicants in my body, and STILL that Jello got the best of me. We'll meet again someday, Jello. And when we do, I will have the last laugh.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:20
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Is jello the Devil?

OOO, Ms. Jinx, maybe that's what's wrong for me? I'm eating those sugar free jellos every day (with heavy cream) and I have been stalled on the scale for over a week!
Linwag, the things that curb my cravings for sweets (and I am a bonafide chocoholic!) are sips of heavy cream, a few macadamias or small hunks of brie or some other creamy cheese. The fat really seems to help me over my sugar attacks!
Good luck to you Waldorfmom
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 06:11

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Waldorfmom hit the nail on the head. EAT FAT. The fat will kill your appetite and minimize, if not entirely kill, any cravings. You may be left with emotional cravings, which admittedly can be just as bad, but, that's something you need to address too and early on.

Hey Jinx, that reminds me, whatever happened to my bong collection?

Jones