Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 17:26

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Sugar Free Kool Aid

As my journal will attest, after 5 months of Atkin's I still hate drinking water. I've tried everything that's been recommended to get more water in and I just can't get it down. I found some sugar free koolaid at Wal Mart this weekend. It was zero carb but has nutra sweet so I know that should be limited and could cause a stall. I also know that you can't count anything but pure water towards your intake. I don't get that... tea is mostly water and kool aid is mostly water... why can't it count? At least for someone like me who really is struggling every stupid day with drinking water.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 19:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Whenever I want a break from water, I make kool-aid with Splenda. Buy the regular kool-aid and then make it with Splenda (the measure for measure comes in a box not little packets).

I don't like things too sweet, so I only make it with 1/2 cup per 2 quarts. Try making it like that and if that's not sweet enough for you, you can add a little more to taste.

(This doesn't mean I drink the whole two quarts in one day! I posted this idea before and someone thought I was consuming 1/2 cup of Splenda a day! No, I make the 2 quarts and leave it in the fridge, just drink a little now and then. )

You still need to get in your 64 oz of plain water per day, but this is an alternative. I know you are only supposed to have 3 packets of Splenda per day, so if you make your kool-aid the way I do, you could probably have at least a couple of glasses a day and still be okay, as long as that's all the Splenda your getting for that day.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

what a great idea kool aid with splenda thanks
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 07:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Water

Dont be so hard on yourself, water is not easy to get used to, for me beverages were always great company for my snacks ! Now that I rarely if ever snack, and when I do it isnt something that needs a beverage like chips and pretzels so it is hard.
I know that Dr Atkins says not to count tea but he also says that green tea aids weight loss. My new trick is to mix bags of green tea with a few bags of black tea and add splenda and maybe some lemon juice. It is a home brew but gets me drinking water. It is probably much healthier than cool aid overall.
Back when I was eating carbs I used to drink a gallon of water a day, now I stuggle to drink a quart ! Having an ice cold brita helps a lot because it makes the water taste better.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:48

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have a brita at home and Absopure at work! I still struggle..

I'll try making my own Kool Aid And that tea doesn't sound bad... in the summer I normally don't drink much pop...mostly water tea or lemonade so maybe things will get better.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:58

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey Daethian,

I have a real problem with water as well. Although, I don't need something as strong as Koolaid. Just something with a good hint of flavour works for me.

My suggestion: Have you seen those Crystal Light singles? They say on the package that they are to be mixed with 500ml of water... IMHO that would make any person pucker for an hour. But if you use a single in a 1.5 litre drink container it's perfect. And those packets are only about 3/4 of a teaspoon.. if that. If you can't find the singles packets, just regular Crystal Light just only use 1/4 or 1/3 of the package per use.

I carry my drink container around all day, and end up going through 2 or 3 a day... and it's almost pure water. Almost....

Let me know how you like it!

Linnea