Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 61/63/57
BF:
Progress:
Default Snacks

Hello Kiwis - what snacks do you eat during the day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi there,

I have finished induction so there is a bit more choice now.

I have been having some brazil nuts, ham with cream cheese and cucumber, chicken legs, cheese and cherry tomatoes, hard bolied egg, salami. Stuff like that. Although I have found that the desire for snacking has really diminished on this WOE.

Hope that helps

Bye

Geri
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 308/158/160 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 101%

Nuts, nuts, nuts, nuts, nuts.

Last night I made a batch of spicy curried nuts, and also a batch of walnuts with cinnamon/Splenda. Very yummy snack and you still get the *crunch* which I was missing after all that meat, cheese and salami.

I also like thin slices of crunchy daikon radish with home made sour cream or mayonaise based dips (Best Foods is the best mayo brand! 1g carbs per 100g add in crumbled blue cheese, or pesto, or chopped herbs and garlic). Or 'salami crisps' which is thin slices of salami nuked for one-two minutes in the microwave until crisp.

There are some great snack ideas in the recipe section. A word of warning though, I have tried some of the low-carb biscuit and candy recipes and have found that they induce the same reaction that real biscuits and sweets do - an uncontrollable urge to splurge! Of course, maybe that's just me - I have never been good at moderation!

Cheers.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:00

Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Kiwilass,

the Daikon Radish sounds good with the Mayo - especially the blue cheese!

which supermarket do you get Best Foods mayo from?

I haven't tried any of the sweet stuff recipes yet, not really a sweet tooth. Sometimes get the urge for Chocolate though.

Bye
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 308/158/160 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 101%

Hi there

Best Foods mayo is definitely available at Woolworths, and I think maybe New World and Pak'n'Save. It is very close to 'Helmans' mayo, which you might see in some American members posts.

I indulged in some Really Good (horribly expensive!) chocolate - Bittersweet Swiss chocolate (Linz or Munz are two brandnames) 70% cocoa butter and about 7g carb for 40g. Not sweet at all, but definitely chocolate. I have had one or two pieces of it - just enough for the chocolate hit - and surprisingly (hooray for ketosis) am content with just one piece every few days for just 2g or so carbs! It sure makes the bar last a long time! It is the closest I have been able to find to the unsweetened bakers chocolate mentioned in Atkins book. Found it in a chocolate shop here in Wellington, also available in some supermarkets.

Good luck with the snacks
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:42

Stats: 232/217/185
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi MargoA
I have a collection of gourmet cheeses in the fridge which I eat when craving a snack (which isn't very often on this diet). They taste better on a bit of raw vege such as rounds of cucumber (my new crackers) & celery sticks (didn't take long to get to love them) & slices of capsicum or wrapped in lettuce, often with a wee bit of cold meat. Cold roast beef & brie is supremo! We have such lovely cheeses in NZ - treat yourself to the best (but don't overdo it as cheese does have some carbs.
I often get a sweet craving after a savoury meal so just have a cuppa tea or coffee with sweetener. In fact that is often all I need when I do feel like snacking (yes I know I probably have a caffeine addiction but don't think it is affecting my weightloss). Also I check how long it is since I last had a meal as maybe it is time for another one.
Whenever I go out & expect to need to eat I quickly pack a lunchbox (or chilly bin) of cold meat, cheeses, olives, dips & salad veges just in case - instant picnic! Not only does it avoid awkward situations but it is lovely to share - most people think the foods we eat are a treat.
best wishes
Floribunda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:48

Stats: 232/217/185
BF:
Progress: 32%

PS forgot to say
when really degraded & down I have consumed dollops of sourcream or cream cheese sweetend with liquid sweetener, eaten with a teaspoon in front of the TV
AND a tiny bit of crabapple jelly spread on cold chicken or beef
(I had to! My neighbour gave me a jar made from the crabapples in my garden!)
but THAT is only for emergencies
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 197/187/165
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi,
I haven't been here for ages but really need to get back on the wagon again. Re mayo - I would be surprised if you can't get Hellmans in NZ - here it's available in Coles. I have found gorgeous blue cheese mayo and Caesar mayo in gourmet sections of other supermarkets. It's a matter of looking around.
Re chocolate - I think as others do that avoidance is the best answer because it tends to set off a dreaded chain reaction however Cadburys Lite is very nice and cheap. Bit hard to get but very LC. Be careful of nuts - so easy to eat tons and so high calorie which I really believe matters. Cheers. Sally
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 23:32
Registered Member

Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Olives are good if you like them. I eat cheese and nuts with olives on a little plate. Then I don't eat too much.