Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:02
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie to Atkins

Hi everyone! I have been reading the posts for several days now and I have found them to be very helpful. I am new to Atkins and on my 5th day of Induction. Finally the headaches have passed! YAY! However, I have a few questions.

Question #1: I am having a bit of a craving for something sweet, and I read in the Atkins book that you are allowed diet jello and a tbs of heavy whipped cream. I figured this would take care of it. However, I found that the sugar free jello has aspartame. Is it still ok to have this, and also how much am I allowed? I couldn't find an amount listed in the book.

Question #2: I could not find porkrinds anywhere on the Allowed Foods List for Induction, so I'm assuming I have to wait until Induction is over to have them? I found a great recipe for chicken wings breaded with crushed porkrinds and was wanting to make it. How much are you allowed a day of pork rinds?

Question #3: I am in medium ketosis. I was wondering if I should be in high by now? Have others been successful staying in medium? Maybe I should increase my protein and fat and decrease carbs a bit?

Question #4: I see that a lot of people are posting their body fat percentages. Where do you go or what do you do to find out the amount of body fat?

I am really looking forward to getting to know you all, and to a thinner me! Thanks!

Zora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Default Hi Zora!

DH and I ate a little SF jello on induction. The only brands I could find have aspartame so that's what we used. We would have a cup with a little heavy whipping cream on it.

As for the pork rinds, we couldn't have made it through induction without them. Used them for making french toast, breading, and with eggs at breakfast time.

As for the ketosis and body fat, I can't answer. I know there are lots of experienced people here who will help you with that.

Welcome to the forum.
This is a great place isn't it?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome!

1) There are a few sugar free jello's that do not contain nutrasweet - check other stores in your area. Dr A suggest in his book that if you are having sweet cravings to take 500mg of L-glutamine prior to each meal.

2) While not on an official induction lists, using them as a breading should be no problem. Be warned though - they have a higher salt content so could cause some temporary water-weight gain.

3) Medium ketosis is great! Y ou don't have to be in dark ketosis, even a small amount is good. Ketosis is Ketosis, no mater how many ketons you are spilling in your urine.

4) There are some sights that help you guestimate your BF ratio, there are calipers that can help measure and their are scales that claim to be able to measure it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 12:11
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Zora,

Welcome to the forum. It looks like your questions were already answered, so I won't add anything there. What I did want to tell you is that, if you haven't already, you might want to check out the Triple Digits Club. It is located under Lowcarb Support Focus Groups and is for people with over 100 pounds to lose. It is a very supportive place.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 14:12

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Welcome! Not all people are effected by aspartame, so an ocassional sugar free jello probably won't hurt. I've heard the Jolly Rancher variety of sugar free jello is sweetened with splenda, but have never seen this product in my area, so... If you can find it check it out. L-glutamine, an essential amino acid, can greatly reduce your cravings for sweets just like Talon said. 500mg 30 minutes before each of your 3 meals. It's found at Wal-Mart in the vitamin section or health food stores. As mentioned before, ketosis is ketosis, so the actual color rating is irrelevant. Just as you're not a little pregnant you're not a little in ketosis, it's an all or nothing thing. The keto strips are just another tool, so don't focus on them too much. Instead look to what the scale says & also take measurements. Measure you waist, hips, thighs, etc.. because often times when we're not losing pounds we're losing inches. Good luck & stick with it.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 17:21
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to each and every one of you who responded!

Amy, I will definately buy the L-Glutamine if I continue to have cravings for sweets. Liz, thanks for the tip about the Triple Digits Club. After I saw your message, I went and visited the forum and already made a post there! Talon and Gram, thanks for the info too! I am really excited about joining this forum! Everyone seems so nice and helpful!

Take care all!

Zora
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 19:22

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Zora, welcome! I am still a relative newbie myself but have also found this forum to be extremely helpful and informative.
Everyone has already given you great answers and advice, and if you stick with it, I am sure you will see results.

I started slower than I would have liked but sticking to induction exactly (even if that includes pork rinds, which I would still consider a meat product) and drinking LOTS of water (it's recommended you drink 64 oz a day plus).

I have also increased my activity, and recently joined Curves for Women, and I can tell you I am definitely losing inches....

So good luck to you and welcome and most important, stick with it! In two weeks you'll feel so much better you'll wonder why you waited so long to start!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:14
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the encouragement Pugzilla! I am drinking at least 68 oz of water a day, although today, I know I didn't come close to that. I seem to drink more at work. I keep a water bottle on my desk at all times.

I have also considered Curves For Women. So it really works?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

DO NOT FLIP ON THE KETO STICKS! Med. Ketosis is just fine and everyone is diffrent, to make them puppies turn black (for me) is about a feat! If you are in ketosis I find that is fine. I find a glucose monitor to be very helpfull...

Good Health and Many Blessings,
Froggirl
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 13:58
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice Foggirl
Keep on keeping on!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 13:59
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Oops, I mean Froggirl! I can spell better than I can type - really!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 15:44

BF:

Zora, I've been to Curves twice and I really like it! It is the first time EVER that I've actually wanted to continue an exercise program and feel like it's something I can do on an ongoing basis. You only stay on each machine 30 seconds, so there's no time to get bored or fatigued, then you move on.

The cost is quite reasonable as well. If you've got one in your area, I would highly recommend checking it out. If you are not sure if there is one in your area, you can go to www.curvesinternational.com and click on "Is There A Curves Near Me?" Just plug in your zip code and you'll get the address and phone number of the location nearest you.

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 16:37
Zora

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Pugzilla,

Yes, we have one here in town. I've actually gone to look at the place about a year ago, and then never joined. All the machines were set up in a circle and you moved from one to another.
I think I'm going to concentrate on my treadmill and exercise tapes to start with and get a routine going, then move to either Curves or a gym. I feel really self-concious going to a gym. I feel like everyone is watching the "fat girl." But I try to rationalize it. The gym is for out of shape people to get in shape too. Not just for barbies and muscle heads! I like the fact that Curves is just or women. I will have to decide which way to go. Thanks for the info!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: Under 30 carbs per day
Stats: 200/194/160
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default I'm just starting again too...

Hi Zora:

I just wrote to KatGurl who is also new that in the past, locarbizi.com has made life low-carbing so much easier for me.

Amy TN (who replied to KatGurl) is right, hold off adding sugar alcohols for another week, so as not to stall the process. I am new to this site, so I am going hog-wild and having a blast writing to everyone! Here's my deal...I was 200 lbs, low-carbed down to 169, then started a new job and within a year, was back to 200. Ughhh. I am back low-carbing, and have lost 5 lbs in the last week. Trying not to beat myself up for falling off the wagon. Hang in there!
Jen
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:38

BF:

Zora, good for you using the treadmill and exercise tapes. I have been thinking of getting a bandflex (like a bowflex) for home that I can use on the days I don't go to Curves.

And believe me, I understand about feeling self-conscious, that has kept me from MANY activities, especially any kind of gym. The only other thing that I will say about Curves is that it is a completely non-judgemental atmosphere, and the staff is very kind. You and I had about the same start weight, so I can also tell you there's nothing you won't be able to do there. I was sure I wouldn't be able to get through the first "circuit" of machines the first few times I was there, but to my pleasant surprise, I was able to get around twice with no problems.

Whatever you choose, good luck and hang in there!

I look forward to sharing our success stories!