Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Started as a 'normal' diet. Now on Atkins. Check my sig.
Stats: 315/215/180
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Tonight's Grocery List.

Hey. I decided to start Atkins (or at least, some form of low-carb diet) as you may have noticed from my other topic.

Anyway, I'm heading to the store tonight to stock up on groceries and buy either an Atkins book or another low-carb one for specifics, but I'm not sure what to buy til I get a book.

I mean, I have a general idea of what I can include on my grocery list, like meats and chicken and stuff. I think ground beef, eggs, and the like, but it'd be nice to know more things I can buy.

So if you can, could maybe a couple of you readers include a general grocery list I should purchase tonight of low-carb foods? Maybe the things you bought on your first couple of weeks of a low-carb diet.

It'd be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Don't forget your veggies!

green beans
broccoli
asparagus
brussel sprouts

ALso some lettuce - Prefer romaine and some lower-carb salad dressing - ranch or blue cheese are pretty good.

Also don't forget to get some cheeses, butter - and some spices to vary the tastes. Check out some ideas in the kitchen area here before you go.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 11:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

To what has already been written, I would add olive oil, red wine vinegar, cucumbers, red peppers, and cans of tuna fish (good to have in the house in an emergency). I cook a lot in olive oil and I make my own salad dressing from olive oil and red wine vinegar. A quick, emergency meal is a salad of lettuce, cucumber, and red pepper, topped with tuna fish and hard boiled egg, and dressed with olive oil and vinegar.

I also find it convenient to have some sliced deli meats in the house for snacking.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 11:56
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, Ranch is low-carb? Awesome.

Anything else, anyone?

And thanks Liz. I glad you're pointing out that lettuce and stuff is fine. My original thinking was that pretty much all vegtables were loaded with carbs.

Last edited by robzero : Sat, Apr-19-03 at 12:01.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 11:59

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Most ranches are lower in carbs -just be sure to check the label of the particular brand you are thinking of buying! ... And make sure it is the full-fat kind - not that fat-free stuff. yuck.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 12:09
Registered Member

BF:

One last thing and I'll quit bugging you guys.

I know I also need to pick up some vitamins of some sort since I'll be lacking some things. Any specifics on the type of vitamins I should get? Maybe even a brand name?

Having never taken any, I'm completely vitamin ignorant.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 16:45

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

I can't help on brand names cause you probably wouldn't have the same types as we do down here but I take the following

Multivitamin (no iron, with potassium & magnesium) - this is recommended in DANDR

Chromium, L-Lysine and L-Carnitine are the other three I take for varying reasons.

I'd suggest finding yourself a good multi-vit and maybe some chromium or L-glutamine - both good for preventing sugar cravings.....

oh and BTW don't quit "bugging" us, thats what we are here for and you're not bugging us at all

HTH

Fiona