Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

I've thought of another one.

! I won't miss being afraid to fall. Thus causing me to hurt myself due to injury. Darn that phrase," The bigger they are the harder they fall" is too true.
2. Not being able to play... see above.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:03
Registered Member

Stats: 276.2/276.2/140 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I will not miss getting out of breath when I take the stairs.

I will not miss shopping in only certain sections of the clothing store.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:59
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I could relate to so many posts - especially fat body issues. Reaching, bending, mobility, fitness - all are more difficult the larger you are.

But so many of the things we want to change are society issues.

Physical things like seats that are too small. Just because most adults are ~5'10" doesn't mean we set our ceiling height at 6' (although it would save space, the 'reason' business gives for not including some larger sized seating in public places). How long can we hear 'you don't fit', before we feel like outcasts?

And emotional punishment. We all know it's okay to laugh at fat people in our culture; it's one of the last non-tabboo topics. As if people can shame us into slenderness. We all know how well that works.

Many folks in this forum have lost lots of weight and the rest of us are hoping to join them sometime soon. My thoughts are ... what happens when we're not the fattest person in the room? What do we owe that individual?

Gotaloseit writes:
Quote:
And I vow, I will never, ever walk up to someone who is overweight and preach to them about the need to lose weight.
I so agree and I'll add ... I will always strive to make this world safe, accessible and comfortable for people of all sizes, regardless of the size I end up being.

Last edited by AntiM : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 22:00.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 22:25

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

things i will not miss:

having to wear Grandma looking "fat " clothes at 21 y/o!

the stares

the fear of my boyfriends arms not being able to fit around me ,

being out of breath climbing the stairs to my office at work..
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 06:41

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi,

This is not really on the subject but I felt I needed to write about what AntiM said.

I agree with her about society. I am sure most of us can identify with the pain society has placed on us as "large" people. I fail to see why society in general can not seem to grasp that people with a weight problem are not that way by choice. I think that is part of why Dr. Atkins was so professionally outcast..he dared to
put forth the concept that people who are over weight have a medical condition, not a mental condition or simple greed.

I personally dont see a day when people are not judged by their size due to the overwhelming media presence in our society. Younger and younger people are turning up with eating disorders in an attempt to look the like half starved models on runways and in print articles, bodies that are for the majority physically unattainable. I find this trend to be in all very sad......Having been an overweight teen was very difficult but in this day and age it must be sheer hell.

But in someways I see that the problems that seem to be growing in terms of obesity are very much related to our "modern society". Convenience has taken over, foods are no longer prepared from fresh ingredients, walking has become a thing of the past (when I lived in Europe you walked everywhere) and people have become increasingly sedentary in their general lifestyle. Not to say that you are not responsible for your own body because your health is your business. And in this day and age there is help out there. I think that society needs to be less focused on size and more focused on health and I dont see how this can be accomplished. I am truly saddened that people can be so cruel to each other, but we see it about religion, skin color, economic differences, clothing, not just weight issues.

In a perfect world we would all be judged by our hearts and minds, but until then one person can make a difference by speaking up, by telling someone a joke is inappropriate, writing to your congressman about health care, or mentoring a child with a weight issue......now there's an idea......a program that pairs people who have overcome their weight issues with children who are struggling and need a kind and helping hand, because after all children are our future.

Thank you for listening while I let out my feelings, who better to understand how I feel that you all???
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 09:44

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is a perfect example of how fortunate we are to have this forum and the Triple Digits Club in which to express these ideas and emotions.

Just think of how frustrating it would be to have to keep this all bottled up. I mean, I'd bet that few of us have friends or family that would get into a deep, meaningful conversation about these issues or let us get it off our chests as many times as may be necessary.

Bless us all and bless this forum.

Donald
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:39

Plan: Atkins & CAD
Stats: 458/394/180 Female 5'4"
BF:yup..very.
Progress: 23%
Red face i will not miss

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!

- THE LOOK

-WADDLING

- having to ask that we not sit in a booth when i go to a restauraunt with a friend or else having my stomach rest on the table if i am forced to squeeze in.

-the look of disgust from my mother (or anyone else who sees me) gives me when i am in my nightgown without a bra and my big bojangas SWING LOW...sweet chariot...

-hearing my ten year old nephew excliam" geeze..what the hell happened to you? you used to be hot" when he discovers my old high school photos , wincing in disbelief.

- having to eat my dinner standing at the counter b/c i am afraid i will turn the spindly antique chairs that look pretty at the table into kindling (again..see my journal).

- having sales people, gas station attendants, etc ignore me or speak to me with contemp..without making eye contact.. when i try to appraoch them in public.

-having the waiter at the expensive hotel restaurant
where i was staying for two weeks hand the check folder to my guests b/c he assumed the fat lady must not be able to afford it....>grrrrr<

-placing my low carb high fat groceries on the check out belt while walking around my cart to get the last few items off the bottom of the cart while trying to keep my belly from flopping over into the cart as bystanders look on in disgust at me...then my groceries..then back at me...

-wedging my self into movie theater seats and having to wait through all the credits for the place to empty out so other people wont see me sruggle to get up and out.

-trying to buy a carpet washer at sears only to have the sales guy refuse to sell me one..abrubtly stating"you dont need one" while avoiding eye contact with me, only to find him selling one to a skinny lady 5 minutes later.

-catching people staring at my belly ..then the rest of me..when they first see me.

-the look of concerned repulsion i get when i cannot fasten a seat belt..bend over to pick something up ..or fit into an airline seat..from "friends" or strangers.

-hoping no one in my extended family dies or gets married so i dont have to face them at a wedding or funeral or make excuses why i cant go

-praying to GOd every time i go out that i dont bump into anyone from highschool...and certainly not an ex-boyfiend!

-being the one that cant ride any rides at disney world and slows down the whole group on vacation

- going over a speed bump, pot hole or other bump in my car and feeling my double chin and everything alse still jiggling for a few seconds afterward.

-sweating everytime i move around

-listening to the cleaning lady accuse me of "never doing any housework" in spanish evrytime my skinny and very messy mother leaves her clutter lying around b/c the maid assumes i must be lazy and sit on my ass all day to be so fat.

-hearing "you have such a pretty face..it is such a shame you are so heavy" from my grandmother.

-overhearing the er doctor talking to the interns when i had an anaphylacic allergic reaction say "she's so god damn fat..who the hell can tell if she's swollen!"

-hearing the paramedics who took me to the hospital shout.."guys..we need extra men on the end" as they hoisted my gourney..with me jiggling on it ..out of the ambulance.

-getting my hair highlighted at the salon and sitting there..jiggling..while my hair dresser had to pump the peddle over and over to get the chair to raise up to his height...

-waddling!!! did i mention waddling?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:57

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
<I>PixyNixy wrote:</I> I won't miss being afraid to fall.

I know I say this far too often, but again ... I thought I was the only one who felt that way ... I think that's why I hate winter, because I'm so terrified of falling on the ice.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 14:20
Busty McChacha

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/246.6/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

first some background. my mother is 53 years old she is very fit she plays tennis she goes to the gym every morning. my mother is 5 foot 1 and 100 pounds.

I wont miss being introduced as her daughter and the double takes I receive from her "Friends" and "Business Associates"

I wont miss being excluded from fun outings because I am fat.

I wont miss being the fattest person in the room.

I wont miss the waiter assuming that I will be having desert.

I wont miss the dismissive look when I go to lunch and eat a salad or a diet drink (I refuse to be caught drinking a diet soda in public). Its just too humiliating.

Also to touch on what some of you others spoke about when we are no longer the fatest people in the room but there is someone else there who is over weight. I'm gonna tell them about low carbing. They may not want to hear it but I'm living proof it can save your life!

Im sick and tired of actresses and public figures and even the general population who are overweight and say they are happy and healthy at 60-100 pounds over weight. That is utter nonsense. Im overweight. I dont feel healthy and strong. I had to stop watching the View because Star Jones really rattles my nerves with her thoughts on weight you cant tell me Star does not wish to be slimmer and healthier.

Whoops went off on a bit of a rant. This thread was just what I needed. As a fat person I think I am sometimes afraid to get upset. Afraid to cause more attention to myself I guess. Im glad to say that those days are becoming a thing of the past!

Thanks for listening yall.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 14:24
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally posted by celtinore
I know I say this far too often, but again ... I thought I was the only one who felt that way ... I think that's why I hate winter, because I'm so terrified of falling on the ice.

I'm terrified of falling for two reasons:

1. I still have trouble getting up from the ground. I slipped on the ice in a parking lot last winter and had to crawl over to a car so I could hold onto it and get myself back up. I am very much looking forward to once again being able to easily get up from the ground.

2. If I got seriously hurt by falling, I can't imagine who would lift me up. Also, I'm way too heavy to haul myself around on crutches. Last time I had to use crutches I weighed about 250 and it was a struggle. At my current weight, it would be even worse.

I will not miss getting over this fear of falling. It keeps me from hiking on some rocky trails I would like to tackle.

Last edited by liz175 : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 14:25.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 18:07

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

I agree with many of the ones already posted...but today made me realize I am not going to miss "fitting akwardly" or not at all into workout equipment at my gym...
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 18:11

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hmm i agree... the thigh rubbing thing... Eww i cant stand that.. and the feeling of THUNDER THIGhS YUCK!!! geez... i dunno... im ready for it all to be gone... ( all the fat that is)

hmm something else i wont miss is going swim suit shopping and figuring out the only ones in your size have a SKIRT

whats a 21 y/o cutie to do ?? LOL

Last edited by luddybell : Thu, May-01-03 at 22:22.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 18:48

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

I love this thread!

I will not miss:

The looks of disgust i get when i shop in the lingerie dept.. even tho there are some 3X stuff that i can wear. Its like... "eww cant imagine why she would even bother trying to look sexy

Going to a softball game and sitting in the larger sized lawn chairs.. and standing up just to have the chair attached to my bottom.. cuz the arms of them are too snug against my hips

Having the amusement park ride attendant tell me that I should be able to fit on the ride... just to be humiliated when the harness wont fasten down over me and i have to get off in front of everyone

Going out for dinner and feeling like everyone is staring at me to see what 'the fat lady' is going to order.. and hearing little snickers about why im so fat

Trying to find excuses why I cant do something I love doing.. like hiking.. because I know I will get maybe 1/2 mile and my back will hurt so bad I will have to turn back

wow.. i could go on and on
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 00:08

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Orygungirl - THIS is MY biggest one:
Quote:
Having the amusement park ride attendant tell me that I should be able to fit on the ride... just to be humiliated when the harness wont fasten down over me and i have to get off in front of everyone

Last summer, (and several before) I went to an amusement park with my hubby - I LOVE roller coasters - but tend to avoid them unless I KNOW I'll be able to fit the seat. Didn't avoid the new one they had - went to try it - didn't fit - had to get off the other side, and stood there with my back to the crowd, waiting for the tears to stop so I'd be presentable again. DH was a jewel, but I was completely humiliated and depressed - it took me a couple hours just to be able to enjoy the rest of the day without feeling weepy, and it still makes me feel teary-eyed.

SO, things I WON'T miss:

**The roller-coaster seat thing.

*Worrying about seatbelts not fitting.

*People-watching while waiting for the annual parade, and having some redneck in the back of a truck full of partiers say, "What're you lookin at, you fat cow?" I had a quick response, which shut him up (won't repeat it here), and watched while his girlfriend called him an *ss and slapped him, but I was embarassed and sad for awhile.

*going on vacation and after a day of walking, not even being able to get to the bathroom in the night well because my feet are so crippled.

*Hearing an ex-boyfriend (from WAY back in high school) and his friend talking, and the friend saying, "Good grief! Didn't you used to go out with her?" And the ex-bf saying, "Oh, it was a fluke - and she was skinny then."

*Plus-sized clothing.

*Feeling like the dancing hippos with tutus on in Fantasia when I try to wear lingerie.

*Huffing and puffing.

*Theater seats (ANY seats)

*Feeling uncomfortable in dresses (like I'm wearing a tent).

*Stepping on the Doctor's scale.

*Contemplating gastric bypass surgery as a last resort.

Sh'ra
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 18:41
Pending Member

Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Oldie but Goodie

I was reading on some of the older threads today and came across this one.... thought it was time to give it new life and see what everyone won't miss -

Here are a few of mine -

I won't miss my co-workers thinking that they are "helping" when the say - if you didn't overeat you'd be fine

I won't miss the infamous "you have such a pretty face" comments

I won't miss the thighs rubbing and the shorts riding up

I won't miss the constant knee pain and this horrible pain I keep having in my feet

I won't miss my mother pushing the gastric bypass surgery option or telling me how incredibly much I still have to lose

Patty