Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/170/160
BF:?
Progress: 44%
Default My Birthday...cake?

Well, it's coming soon and I know that my co-workers are probably going to get the ceremonial cake and/or ice cream. I'm already doing the internal debate, because I realize that I can allow myself this cheat on occasion. My biggest concern is that I have been drinking too many beers on the weekends, and so I feel like I've already been cheating! Hmm, must give and take and make a reasonable decision......

<sigh> And I've already planned my next 'cheat' meal for next month. I am going to casa bianca's pizza pie for well, pizza pie!

Too many carbs, not enough cheat days.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:53

Plan: Atkins-induction
Stats: 188/177/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Make a bargain with yourself....give up 2 of your normal weekend beers and have a slice of cake for your birthday! It's just not a birthday without cake. Ok..this may not be the best WOE advice, but it's life...you have to live it once in a while! Happy Early Birthday!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:55

Plan: Atkins-induction
Stats: 188/177/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Feel I need to justify....I actually am 177. Lost 11 lbs. If I had only lost 1 as my name says, I wouldn't share any opinions!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 19:00

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Would it be possible to bring at least a sugar free cake? My coworkers would have been relieved if I offered to bring my own cake (SECRETLY sugar free, of course).

To me, I've gotten to where I choose to tell strangers I'm diabetic or that I have a certain allergy to avoid foods and hassels. Guess that wouldn't be so easy at work.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:14

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

You could also replace the tradition B-Day cake with a low carb cheesecake, recipes are listed in the recipe section. Try altering a traditional favorite cake recipe by using splenda instead of sugar & a nut flour in place of regular flour. You can low-carb just about anything, it just takes a little extra effort. Only you can decide if your goal is worth a little extra effort. While an ocassional exception to low-carbing is OK, it's a dangerous habit to continue to plan cheats as a regular thing. I know it would lead me down a slippery slope, but we're all different so... just be careful. Good luck & happy birthday.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 06:00

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

My son's birthday is three days from now and I've been trying to decide what to do about the cake issue. My hubby and I are both doing Atkins and rather than have a regular cake that only my children can eat, I think I'm going to do something with fruit. My son loves berries (strawberries in particular), so I think I'm going to make a layered fruit with whipped cream type thingie...you know...layer of straweberries, layer of cream, layer of raspberries, layer of cream, layer of blackberries, layer of cream. This would be suitable for all and everyone loves this type of dessert.

I may make a low carb icecream as well...dunno. Figure hubby and I will both end up eating more carbs than we usually do, but nowhere near what we would if we actually ate cake.

The alternative is to get a cake for him and hubby and I just not eat it...which temptation wise really isn't a problem since neither of us are really cake people.

Good luck with your decision. I can't imagine making an exception for my birthday or any other reason. I guess I'm too afraid...lol. I would be really ticked off at myself if I delayed my weight loss by a week or two.

L
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: General lowcarb
Stats: 224/203/150 Female 66
BF:35/35/25?
Progress: 28%

My birthday is not to far way either and my work group ALWAYS has cake for each of us and it is a big deal. Not sure what to do, thye know i am lC but all love the cake feast and look forward to it. i was thinking let them have the cake and i will bring in strawberries and cream for myself. i have not had any fruit yet so it would indeed be a treat.
Peachy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 09:03

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

I say, take a piece of the cake, have a little bite or two, move it around the plate with your fork, and forget about the rest. The only truly good part is the frosting anyway!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:52

Stats: 178/170/160
BF:?
Progress: 44%
Default I guess

I don't know if I can handle a bite or two. I'm an all or nothing typer person Hey! Maybe I should have them get a cake that I don't like, then I'll just have a bite and feign eating. Hm.

About that cheesecake: WHen my bf first started Atkins, we <i>tried</i> to make a cake like that. It ended up tasting like cream cheese with sugar in it. It was way too thick! It was kinda gross. What kind of cream cheese are you supposed to use? What brand have you used to make it? I love cheesecake, but this one didn't even come close to it.

Thanks!