Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%
Angry SO Mad when I was trying to be good

My husband's boss invited me to a surprise luncheon they were having for my husband as a belated b-day thing. THe luncheon was at a sushi place. So I figured I would order a salad. I ordered an oriental chicken salad and I picked off the little crunchy things so essentially it was chicken, cabbage, and mixed greens with dressing. Well when I ate about half of it I realized the dressing was sweet tasting. I bet there was freaking sugar in it!!! ARG! If I was going to mess up on purpose I would have just had shushi just like everyone else...I love sushi. I hope this does not mess me up too bad. What do you think? Will the sugar in the dressing cause me to stall or gain?

Thanks for letting me rant. It is just hard when ordering out what the heck to eat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:12
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

It is difficult (did you read about the travesty going on at IHOP?) - but it isn't the end of the world. I'm a big believer in mind over matter - put this out of your mind and soon it won't matter! Worrying won't help. Be proud of yourself for resisting the sushi!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:18

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

coolazchic,

I second Iowagirl's comments. "Put it out of your mind and soon it won't matter".

Don't beat yourself up

Not sure how the sugar will affect you, but fingers are crossed that it won't

As for the sushi, I thought we can have that? as it is protein?? Obviously ordered without the rice. Usually comes with avacado and stuff, too. Would love to know if we can have sushi or not, because we have plans to go out Saturday night for it. Oh, and I don't plan to have a lot
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:19

Thanks Iowa girl. I just get frustrated when I am trying my best to be good and I find out I still did something wrong. What is going on with IHOP?

mom2girls thanks for the encouragement. I think we can have the sushi without the rice but I only like it with the rice and/or in a roll. Tuna rolls are my favorite...yummy. Darn rice!!

Last edited by coolazchic : Wed, Apr-16-03 at 15:21.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:24

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally posted by coolazchic
What is going on with IHOP?

They put pancake batter in the omelettes! Here's the thread: Omelettes at IHOP...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:29

OMG thanks for telling me! I was going to go to IHOP on Sunday with my SIL. Wow. You never know!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:35

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

GOOD GOD! IS THE WHOLE FREAKIN' WORLD AGAINST US??!?

I would always order that when travelling - even smaller towns have IHOPs. Is someone getting rich from making the whole world diabetic??

Ok. Tirade over. This one, anyway.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:28

Quote:
Is someone getting rich from making the whole world diabetic

LMAO! That is sooooo true! You are funny!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:36

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Thumbs up

I too miss tuna rolls. But I have successfully eaten at sushi restaurants by ordering sushimi - just the fish without all the fancy fixin's. Hamachi, maguro & sake (that's the salmon - not the wine) are all very mild and really easy to chow down on. You can also order edamame - steamed & salted soy beans. They are delicious!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:44

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Default it happens

just dust off, and get back on!! You'll be fine!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 06:15

I don't know why I did it but I got on the scale this morning and BAM up 2 pounds. Darn sugar!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 09:49
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's you and sugar! (I just love that icon)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:52

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I go for Japanese a lot (it's my boy-f's favorite). I order sashimi and let it marinade in the low-sodium soy sauce... yum! Also, they have fried chicken wings too! There might be a slight flour coating on them (not positive) but it hasn't been a problem for me.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:57

Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I had a similar experience in the cafeteria at work. I would get my roast beef slices, provolone cheese, some black olives, and a side of chicken salad. They gave such a generous serving, and it was really delicious!

I noted each and *every* time I would stall for 2 or 3 days (hence my nearly month long stalls). I even posted a remark here wondering if perhaps it was working nights, or somehow my schedule was causing a slower loss.

I mentioned it one night as I was preparing to go down for my dinner, that I was going to avoid the chicken salad as it seemed to stall me every time. I expressed this was somewhat experimental to see if it really was the chicken salad, and mentioned how odd it was, that none of the ingredients should cause a stall. Some chicken breast, a little celery, some mayo, no reason I could understand it causing the stall. Not *just* stalls, but going out of ketosis, too.

Someone piped up and said, "Oh I think they use low fat mayonaise."

I just stood there with a blank expression for a long minute.

I committed to removing the chicken salad. When I went down to get dinner, I asked. Yes, indeed, low fat mayo. Anywhere from 2-5 or more carbs per *tablespoon*. All sugar carbs... two months of wrong Fitday. 2 Months of wondering what I was doing wrong.

I expressed this may not be a good thing to do since an unwitting diabetic may come along thinking the chicken salad was A OK. They just shrugged.

I can chalk up to looooong stalls to my hospital cafeteria! Who would have guessed? Perhaps it also explained my craving for the chicken salad, as well. *sigh*

Owell, you live and you learn. Never eat mixed foods without asking, even if you do get wierd looks.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:54

Stats: 178/170/160
BF:?
Progress: 44%
Default Beauty of Sashimi

Shoulda just had sashimi. That's what I get when I get the sushi urge. Same thing - no rice.