Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 09:58
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Business travel advice?

I blew it big time recently on a 3 day business trip. I started out great, took my own snacks & food for the plane, even had the right kind of breakfast and lunch the first day. Dinner went downhill and the whole next day was a disaster too. I could hear a little voice in my head screaming not to eat the donut, but I ate it anyway. After that I knew it was the physical addiction to the carbs kicking in. Needless to say, I came back and was up to 190!! Luckily I was able to exercise while there so I think it could have been worse, but I had to dig out an old pair of Size 16 (normally wear a 14) pants to wear to work yesterday!!

I restarted Induction yesterday and thank goodness am down to 187 and feeling my energy coming back. The thing that scares me is that I will have to travel every 2 weeks for this project for the next 6 months. I need to be able to stay with this and since I am not a seasoned business traveller, I'd appreciate any advice on the best and easiest ways to stay on track when away.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:09

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Lightbulb a tough dilemma

I know what you mean, I recently went on vacation, and was more lucky than anything else not to gain any weight back. One thing you can do is pack more snacks than just enough for the plane. You can use lo-carb bars to supplement your meals when you are eating protein and veggies and maybe it wasn't enough, or you need a little snack so that you won't cave in later from sheer hunger.

Always remember that nothing tastes as good as thin feels-it's really true. Remind yourself of your goal, and how good you will look and feel when you reach it!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 12:10

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

In addition to bringing your own low carb foods for travel & arrival, try taking L-glutamine to help curb your cravings while travelling. Take 500mg 3x's daily before each meal & this will help curb those nasty cravings which seem to get out of control while you're away from home. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:14
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Find a ready- mixed shake you like, these aren't bad poured over ice. I always pack my own splenda packets as well.

Live and learn. You see how badly you feel (physically and otherwise) - remember that the next trip and it may keep you motivated to stay the course.

Congrats on jumping back on the wagon!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

OK, this is going to sound strange, but travel is a major part of my job, and many that I work with, and I think it's EASIER to be on Atkins while traveling. Many, many that I work with have lots lots of weight on Atkins, and these folks are on the road 2 or 3 weeks of the month.

So. What does that mean? Comfort zone. Getting the tricks down. I mean, really, you can get a salad, or meat and cheese ANYWHERE. The big challenge? BREAKFAST. So...that takes a little thought. Here's some things we all do:

1. Our conferences are usually 7 or 8 days. They are always in larger cities, so we ask the concierge where we can find a health food store. There we get some bars, (well, the GUYS can eat them with no ill effects), and I get some un-sweetened soy milk and a few other allowable goodies.

2. Ditto on the splenda packets!!! I can't be away without them!!

3. I am a lover of protein shakes, so sometimes I take the shaker container and some of the mix with me.

4. Always have a water bottle in front of you.

5. Continental breakfasts should be only a mile marker in a swift jog through the lobby; imagine al the food crawling with lice. (sorry..just my view)

6. I thought the deli and fast food places would think I was NUTS when I was asking for the egg/bacon sandwich without the bread. Now...know what they say ALL OVER THIS NATION? "Oh, we do that all the time". I was really surprised in the beginning.

7. Really, this WOE is EASY on the road! I love it because I get so much more variety and yummy food than at home, (I hate cooking, and I get to use an expense account while away).

Hope this helps..and if you have any specific hurdles, please ask!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:38

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

I just got back from a business trip, too. I was amazed at how many choices I found on menus that were easily adapted to low carb. I ate salmon, steak, chicken - just aked them to hold the rice/pasta/potato and give me extra veggies. At one little italian place I asked if they could NOT dredge the chicken in flour before cooking it, hold the pasta, no beans on the salad... they were very nice about it and I had a delicious meal.

I was lucky to be staying in a hotel with a daily breakfast buffet. This allowed me to coose my items carefully and I just never opened the container with the hash browns or went anywhere near the breads & pastries. (I like your 'crawling with lice' image, wordlady!) Since we had continental breakfasts in our meeting rooms, I always made sure to go get the breakfast buffet before I got to the meeting! Lunches were pretty easy with chicken caesar (hold the croutons).

I did take some Atkin's bars for the plane and in case I got stuck in a meeting for over 6 hours (which did happen).

The trick is to be clear on what you want to eat and communicate in a pleasant, but assertive, way.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:38

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking The word has spoken!

I agree with wordlady! I travel in my business and I find it easy and I do not bring anything with me from home like splenda. I do buy some nuts before I get on the plane so if there is no meal I can have some of them when they hand out the pretzels. The rest is willpower to stay away from the donuts. I admit I did not eat many donuts before this WOE. I can walk past almost any of those temptations. Finding LC choices though on the road has been fairly easy. Hopefully you can build up will power, bring enough snacks for the whole trip or bring size 12 pants so you have no choice but lose weight during your trip!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:06
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sounds to me like a little extra planning to make sure I have allowables on hand will help a lot. My trip was to a town in the middle of nowhere to visit a dead farm animal rendering facility. No health store available and not a lot of options in the way of food.
Plus I really didn't feel like eating meat after the visit to the facility!