Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question What do you say to critics of lo-carb?

I just started Atkins a week and half ago. I feel great (except for the ketosis taste in my mouth - but extra water and diet jello seems to help) and I'm excited and encouraged by this way of eating. But my teenaged daughter - who is VERY opinionated - keeps telling me that it is bad for me and she knows several girls who got quite sick on Atkins.
She's also got my husband on that "it's bad for you" bandwagon.
Does anyone have suggestions for handling this? What have you done about this sort of criticism?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:41

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I would ask your daughter if the girls that got quite ill from this WOE followed the plan correctly and did not treat it as a quicky diet in order to fit into a prom dress? The evidence does not support her claim.

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:44

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Have you been to the Media and Research Watch section of this forum? There are a lot of good articles and scientific evidence denoting the health and effectiveness of low carb eating. It will also help to read our personal experiences and attest to lowered cholesterol levels, blood pressure readings, etc.

Or, of course, just tell them to read the book and mind their own business.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:48

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

As you can see from my stats - and most definately Donalds' stats (post above this one) We are happy and healthy eating this way. The reports that this is "bad for you" are mostly myths - the ones that aren't, are just like Donald said - People don't do the Atkins diet, don't read anything on it, just think they do it.

People used to think the world was flat - the person who said it was round was highly criticized and mocked.

People used to think getting sick was a mystery for the gods - no one beleived it was itty bitty germs. And when it was suggested, they were treated with scorn.

The first car - was just "unnatural" - now look.

What I am trying to say is that as we age as a society, ideas that we have had and lived with - get disproved. This is one of those things.

When I get the doomsayers, that I know I canno presude. I just nod and say --- "Hmm, I will have to look into that" and then change the subject.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 19:51

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to fight tunnel vision, Waldorfmom! If I was you, I'd just calmly smile and say, "Yes, dear" to both of them--then continue doing your own thing.

Hey, in a few months, you'll be able to say, "I told you so." !!

judy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:05
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thank you everyone. I will definitely check into the information available on this site and give my family something to read. And I have been doing the "mm-hmm, yes dear" thing because I know that the girls that she is talking about were probably trying the quick fix thing and didn't make sure that they had plenty of protein & fat available when they were hungry!
And, Talon, I appreciate your reminder that "what's true" changes as our society evolves.
My biggest dilemma with their opposition to my doing this WOE is that I feel a bit lonely in my home and that I can't talk about my excitement with all I'm learning. I guess this is what this forum's for!
Thanks for the support. I hope as I continue along that I can offer the same warmth and good advice!
Blessings!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:13

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

my body, my life, my way of eating. if you doin't like it, don't eat like me!!

try talking a smoker into giving that up. they will say, my body, my life, i will keep doing this if i want to no matter what you say!
(or at least that is how the smokers i have known are)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172.6/169.6/140 Female 63 inches
BF:41.5%/41.5%/25%
Progress: 9%
Default Convincing others

I had the same conversation with my daughter and here's what I said to her, "The doctor said I need to watch my carbohydrates, so I'm giving up sugary desserts and junk food. I'm also really cutting back on white bread, pasta and rice. But I'm eating more vegetables than I have in a long time. The point of the Atkins program is to find out what level of carbohydrates I can handle and still maintain my weight, so each week I'm adding more carbs back until I find out what that number is."

I said the same thing to my husband, but not much more than that. I figured, if the Atkins program worked, the results would speak for themselves. And it's true! My daughter came back from college several months later and I'd lost almost 20 pounds. This time, instead of questioning my choices, she asked me to cook HER meals like mine!

Stick it out.... results will do the convincing for you.

Best of luck!
Nelle
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 21:01

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

I had the same problem-i actually asked this same question this week (low carb-not socially acceptable-help_ Anyway, it's really hard to deal with other people that don't understand the diet. I just tell people that I need to do this diet to keep my blood sugar regulated. (which is the truth).

if that doesn't work-...just breathe on them with your new smelly ketosis breath.