Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 21:19

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Question Strange skin bumps?

What the heck is this? I am getting little bumps all over my body? Could this be from something in my diet? Has anyone else had skin problems from eating this way? I just want to know if I should be concerned about this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 21:26

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I don't know if yours is the same thing, but I developed little bumps on my skin (no pain or itching or anything) a few years ago...turns out it was a very common problem and was easily cured by using a prescription lotion, which, I believe, was called Lac-Hydrin, or something like that.

If it's the same thing, I don't think it has anything to do with the Atkins WOE. You might want to have your doctor take a look at it if it persists.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 22:13

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Are they primarily on your upper arms and thighs? If so, it is likely a skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris. Here's some info about it: http://www.keratosispilaris.org
I have it and it's very annoying. Keys to treatment are exfoliation and lotions like the one Pugzilla mentioned. Try not to pick at it... that's MY problem.

If it's not that, I have no idea.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

I have those same little bumps.
They run in my family. Where
do you find the lotion?

Thanks!
Tanya

(Never mind- I just clicked on
the website....duh!)

Last edited by tgill32177 : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 08:48.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:18
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I have had these bumps on my arms and thighs for several years now.

But I've discovered something that actually works. I was reading the threads on skin brushing and planning to get a brush to give my skin the best chance of firming up when I lose the weight.

Until I got around to buying a brush, I just used my net scrunchy wash thingy (what the heck are those things called anyway?) from the drugstore. I've been using it religiously every time I shower. I try do the motions described for the skin brushing, i.e. from hands to shoulders, feet to hips, always pushing towards your lymph glands.)

At the same time I switched from my regular Aveeno lotion to the new one with the light blue cap (Positively Smooth with soy).

And I tell you, my skin is soft as a baby's. I can't remember EVER having skin this soft. My bumps are gone! I keep on rubbing my own skin like a weirdo because I can't believe how soft it is.

I've been using Aveeno for years because I have VERY dry skin and exzema. Since using it, I've been able to stop using cortisone cream (thank God!) except on very rare ocassions. But up until recently I'd been using the regular Aveeno. This new one is incredible! I also use their facial moisturizer.

I can't reccomend these products highly enough to anyone with sensitive, very dry skin or those with excema and psoriasis. They're terrific. All hypoallergenic. They're a little bit pricer than Vaseline or Jergens but they really work. Believe me, I've tried everything to control my skin problems. A 300 ML bottle costs me about $10.99 CDN.

Anyway, that and the scrunchy seem to be doing the trick. Some days I even think the routine is helping with my cellulite, but that might be just wishful thinking!

The only other thing I could possibly attribute my new skin to is the supplements I began taking March 1 when I started Atkins. Might be the flax oil, or evening primrose. Of course the WOE itself is great for our skin.

But for anyone with the bumps - give the Avenoo a try and use your scrunchy thingy EVERY time you shower.

Wishing you all skin as soft as rose petals!

Kaillean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

If you go to KeratosisPilaris.org, there is a link to an online drugstore that has lotions. My KP is reeeally bad, but Kaillean's right, exfoliation and lotion will help. Check out the site... KP is VERY common, especially in women.

I hate my KP. Sun (as in getting a slight tan) is also supposed to help.

Last edited by Skamito : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 21:16.