Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 125//115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Extreme Hunger and Calories!!!

I have been soo hungry today! I've already had over 2000 so far and it's just 5 PM. I have been trying to limit myself to 1500. Today I felt really tired and under the weather. Well, I think it's just because I'm so hungry! So I gave in and am trying to eat until I'm no longer hungry! I'm eating eggs, chicken, nuts, peanut butter, salads, sugar free jello, string cheese, and deli meat. I feel kinda guilty eating this much, definitely if I went over 3000 calories for the day.

I do know that I have been majorly under eating. I usually ride the elliptical machince at my gym for 45 minutes and swim for an hour. I also lift weights 3 times a week, so I am pretty active. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me that it is OK to eat! I have heard of calorie cycling and refeeding, so maybe this day is something that my body needs. Help!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:23
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

EAT!!! Eating good - starving bad! Sounds like your calories are way too low for your lifestyle. Try eating 6 small meals throughout the day - if you keep your blood sugars regulated you may find yourself reducing your calories naturally. And remember - those last pounds are the toughest to lose!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:24

BF:

I forgot to mention that I am not eating these things all at once. I eat small amounts at a time and drink plenty of water in between meals and snacks.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:25

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

Is it that Time of month?
I get very hungry during this time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:29

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Jellibeanz... have you heard of Leptin? Do a quick search on this site and read about it. I think your binge could be your body's way of trying not to starve. That's totally okay once in a while! Keep it legal and I bet you'll feel better soon.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:52

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

There is a great article on refeeding on a website called "Theminisistryoffitness" You can even do a search on msn on "refeed" and get really good results! I used to have the page bookmarked, but I don't anymore, so I'm sorry I can't provide the link! Hope this helps!

I have tried the refeed myself, and so have others that I know with success. I had to be very careful not to turn it into a full- fledged binge....I did this by planning out ahead of time what I would eat, and also by not having any junk food around me. Also, realize that you'll probably feel kind of gross and fat afterwards. The next day you will probably weigh more, but a few days later, the weight sort of slides right off!
Some people plan them out ahead of time, and that was my intention, but it just sort of happened one night when I came home real hungry and tired.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 15:57

BF:

Thanks for all the advice. I just ate some harb boiled eggs. A little while ago I had a chicken caesar salad. I know that I should eat more normally, but I am used to restricting calories to lose. I wouldn't lose any weight if I didn't because I am in a healthy-low range right now. My stats are probably wrong. Actually, I know they are. I am definitely thinner than when I started. I just don't weigh myself because it drives me crazy! I don't want something else to obsess about. The number means nothing. I want to feel comfortable with my body.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:13

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Jealibeanz

I came off of extreme calorie restriction and jumped right into Atkins. Terrified, I doubled, and soemtimes tripled my calorie intake and I managed to lose. I exercise about as much as you do, and know that I need to eat a lot to maintain my energy level. Keep it up! Try the refeed, you probably jsut need to "confuse" the old metabolism a little.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:33

BF:

Oooo!!! You must be a skinny little thing, Climbergirl! Your goal weight seems really lean, but I understand cause I wanna be that lean again, too. We should talk. We probably have similar bodies and goals. BTW, I was thinking of having one high calorie day a week, just to trick my body and give myself strength!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Could it be ....

the whoosh fairy coming to visit? From what I've read here lately, extreme hunger and big calorie intake often presage weight loss. Isn't that special?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:18

BF:

I know people say that, but it almost seems too good to be true! I'm sure many of you can relate about the fear of high calories. This is scary, I just had another chicken caesar salad! Really, who eats 3 dinners?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:23

BF:

Sorry to reply to my own thread, but I just need to get my thoughts out. OK, today will be a very very high calorie day! I'm now at 3500 and still very hungry! I know I have never been that high in my life and it is fraking me out! I am eating low carb foods. I know that to increase Leptin levels you are supposed to eat high GI foods, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Is what I'm doing just going to make me fat? I hate to eat this much, but I just feel soo sick and tired. I feel better now that I'm eating. I really over did it with the exercise and calorie restriction this week. I hope all my hard work won't go to waste.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 06:07

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I can't recall if this was said previously, and I know this would be terribly hard for you, but I think if you increased your fat intake, it would help tremendously. I eat between 70-80% fat every day and TRY to hit 75% because I lose best when I get that amount of fat. Dr. A is very specific in that you cannot do a lowfat version of Atkins and expect results. I think it was great that you had the hardboiled eggs as they are high in fat...

I have read that a high consumption of fat also makes you feel fuller for longer (fat and protein).

Good luck!

L
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:17

BF:

I do eat a lot of fat. It usually is around 70%. However, if I'm not in induction, shouldn't it drop some iwth the added carbs? My body can handle a lot of carbs. I could lose weight eating high carb if I wanted because of my activity level, but I like this way better. I know you're trying to be helpful and I appreciate the help very, very much, but this makes me feel guilty. It's like sometimes people tell others to increase their fat if they're hungry, not calories. Calories are what we need if we're hungry, right?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I'll bet that your weight is going to drop. Happened to me after an almost 3 week stall, I went from eating around 2200 calories to well over 3000 one day and then the next week I lost 4 pounds. Are you drinking alot of water. I always finish a meal with about 20 oz of water and then I brush me teeth. That usually satiates me. I'll watch for your posts next week, hope it happens.