Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 20:37

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question low carb not socially acceptable. Help!

Hi, well...i have been on Protein Power for almost a 4 weeks, and i love it. The problem is-coming out as a low carber- The first few times i told people i was doing protein power-i got such a negative response that i almost didn't want to tell anyone else. My boss tells everyone that i'm loosing weight, so then people ask me how-i tell them-and i get a really bad response and a weird look. It's really hard. Low carbing is just not socially acceptable at all. People do not understand that this is my way of life now.

I was at a bridal shower on sunday, and when i asked if there was sugar added in one of the dishes-i got a nasty look from the server-as if i was insulting her for asking. i lied and told them i was a diabetic. (i know, i know...but i didn't want to go through it again). Has anyone gone through these type of situations?

And, do you also get this: When I eat my lunch, I put my dressing on my salad-and my boss tells me how it's not good to eat all that fat...or cheese.....How do you tell people(in a simple way) that it is okay to eat fat?

thanks roxie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 22:12

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Example is the best answer

This your health and your life, next time someone you know grabs a "low fat" overprocessed food product, raise your eyebrows at them and shake your head tragically rolling your eyes as you do so! Ha Ha!

No, really though, just be compassionate and understand that this is the way we all grew up thinking, so who can blame some of them?...just remember, "radical" new ideas will always be met with resistance and the only way anyone really gets ahead is by not caring what anyone thinks.

Remember your Tibetan Buddhism: Compassion with detachment.

Steve
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 04:53

Plan: Atkins/Protien Power
Stats: 204/170/160 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Im sure most of us have had similar

experiences. At work this young guy gave me a 1/2 hour lecture about how bad Atkins was, his wife is a pharmacist (not a doctor), she knows how bad it is, blah blah blah. It just went in one ear and out the other. I dont let it bother me. Your going to hear it from alot of people. Of course if they had nothing negative to say about the way you eat they would find something else to complain about.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/168/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Have you noticed

Have you noticed that the most critical of the LC way of life are overweight? My cholesertol was over 500!!! It is now under 200. My Doctor said whatever I was doing keep it up. Maybe you should carry around your lab reports like I do. It seems to quiet the naysayers down instantly.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 300/241/200 Male 6'
BF:20
Progress: 59%

I can really relate!

Before I went on LC I was the biggest critic!
I saw a buddy and his dad (a Dr.) go on the diet and sucessfully keep it off. I decided I wanted to lose weight, so I talked to him. I asked him every question I could think of.

so because I critized other people for going on it, I have little response when people talk to me about being on it. Because I said all the same things.

odd huh?

I have been on it for about 2 1/2 months. I plan to be on it till August. I still have a problem believing it is a healthy diet. I eat a lot of meat and fatty foods. I take my vitamins. Sometimes twice a day. I try to get my exercise in. I have been working 12 hour days lately and it has not been pratical.

I look at the low carb thing this way: I am eating, basically, the same as everyone around me. Except, I don't eat the breads and sweets. I figure doing this for 6 months and losing (hopefully) my desired 70 pounds is healthier in the long run then being 70 pounds overweight.

I think it is very important to have a plan. After I get to 230 I plan to continue to watch what I eat. I have found that taking my lunch to work really helps me watch what I eat. It takes a lot of the spontanous fast food stops out of my schedule. Fast food is killing us!!

I wish everybody the best!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:39
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

"Living well is the best revenge" - when someone makes a negative comment I would smile and say, "By the way, did you notice I've lost___ pounds?"
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:41

BF:
Smile Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

It's really weird 'cause I know when people don't understand something, their first response is to make fun....but sometimes people really drive me crazy with their response. And sometimes (yet, it's very rare) I become that little girl on the playground that is worried about what everyone thinks about her. It's probably because I have been so worried about my appearance for a long time. I have been on WW for along time, and I originally lost weight ...but then gained it all back. I really love PP 'cause it is the first time I don't feel as if I'm on a diet. Really cool. I just think my own worries (is this really healthy) sneak up on me when people critize my diet.

Plus...I work in a very body aware type of place. I'm a custom bra fitter. My bosses have been so supportive...yet they are women that obbsess about their own bodies all the time. (they have had lipo and major work done) and all the women i see are nuts..... about their bodies. so i deal with women on diets all day.

Iowa girl-I'm def. going to take your advise: I must really smile big when I do that.

stephensond-you are doing great! i know, sometimes i just don't know if i'm doing something healthy.

ggrumpy-my cl. needs to be lowered. i know the last time it was checked...i was slightly high. should check it soon. your news is very reassuring.

sonshine-you have some patience

stephen-I will do that. show them who's boss.
i'm the boss.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:50

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face ignorance is NOT bliss

You will likely get all kinds of reactions b/c people are IGNORANT about their bodies, what to eat, health in general, etc, etc. They retain very little information about something unimportant to them, so low-carb info is just not on their radar... Plus, they remember that it was called dangerous, etc, for all those years. My own daughter told me that when you go off of it you gain all the weight back-well, she's right, but I'm staying on for life!

You can always try giving less information-say "I'm watching what I eat" or I'm sensitive to certain foods and have to be careful". Get creative!

Good Luck, and hang in there-

#9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:26

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Why is it that people don't think its rude to tell you that too much fat is bad or too much cheese is bad...yet we worry about offending them?

Next time just tell them to mind their own business, you don't tell them how to eat and you didn't ask for their advice on your menu.

I'm tired of people treating us like crap. I guess I don't get it much or people know better.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:48

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 193/173/125
BF:
Progress: 29%

It would seem reasonable that if you were to stop the Atkins WOE that you would gain all your weight back and more. Most people probably go from Atkins back to a low fat diet. This would mean they are taking a larger number of carbs in, and since carbs are what make you fat, that is all the explanation you need. Plus most people that are on "diets" gain their weight back because they did not make their particular plan their WOE. I hear so often peope blame the Atkins diet when they are the only ones to blame. I can say this freely because I used to be one of those people.
I do get some people that say bad things about Atkins but I normally blow them off or sometimes ask them some questions I know they cannot answer because they have obviously never researched this plan.
On a lighter note, I do have to say that I have had more of a positive experience with talking to other people about Atkins. I have a support group started at work and we have about 15 people in our group. Many more people are asking for information now that some people in our group have hit 15-25 lbs lost. I'm also doing a healthy lifestyle pilot program with a local hospital and our local tv 10 news. Today I got an interview with tv 10 news and they specifially asked me about Atkins, so i got to give a positive message out to the public. I'm going to try to keep mentioning it in the next 7 weeks. I feel everyone deserves to know the truth!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sometimes I get really tired of defending what I choose to eat too and I agree that it's really nobody else's business what I choose to put in my mouth. As I see it, there are several options:

1) If someone is rude enough to comment unasked about what you are eating, you could always respond with an equally personal question such as "are you wearing cotton panties or nylon? Nylon is very unhealthy, you know". Another variation of this would be, "Thank you for your concern. Where were you when I was stuffing myself with Twinkies and ice cream?" This approach is not for the faint hearted.

2) If someone asks how you lost weight, say something like, "I'm cutting out sugars and starches and eating more veggies". This approach is usually met with the comment of, "oh..that sounds very healthy!"

3) Tell people that you have an allergy to wheat/grains and sugar gives you a migraine.

4) Tell people directly that you are low carbing and if they start in on you about how unhealthy it is tell them that you'd be more than happy to discuss the topic with them once they've read a book on the subject and actually understand what it's all about, but until then you'd rather not discuss it.

5) Ignore the naysayers and outlive them all. After all, living well and in good health is the best argument in favor of what you're doing there is.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 22:17

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Here's what to say...

Where's the nearest health food store, I'm outta bacon!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:35

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

How 'bout, "Put some sugar on my hiney and bite it, ya rube."

Just a thought... Now, back to my anger management class.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:33

BF:

I love all these replies! I also could threaten to breathe on them with ketosis breath.

tee hee.
roxie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:02

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

who cares what people think. you are doing this for your health and if you are overweight getting any weight off helps.

i think people are just jealous cause they cant believe it. but the results can NOT be denied.

so next time a naysayer puts it down ask him when did he last eat steak and bacon on a regular basis and still lose 35 lbs.

and laugh all the way to the smaller size section at the clothes store.

hey hey down 4 dress sizes in 3 months. i would almost pay someone to do this diet. i got my mom on it and we'll be both be laughing the girls in her office who are still eating nothing but rabbit food and not losing.