Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 02:06

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%
Default belated intro Willeke

Good morning, I visited this part of the forum in the beginning, when I had just started Atkins (for the tird time), but never really introduced myself, so here goes.
I first did Atkins in the seventies and it went wonderful. I was in my twenties and the weight just flew away, and I felt great.
It stayed right off, too, until the doctor gave me tranquilizers to cope better with the illness and death of my young sister-in-law. Those pills made me gain back 20 pounds in 2 weeks and took away my determination to stay on Atkins. So in the course of time I gained it all back and a lot more.
The second time was the end of the eighties. It went a bit slower, but still, it worked great. I was end thirties then and didn't even have a scale, but went by my clothes and it went fine. That was when I lived in Australia, and when I came back in the Netherlands, I was so stupid to not want to hurt people and say no when they offered me cookies etcetera, so there I went again.
A few years ago my doctor gave me Paxil, which made me gain 30 pounds in 3 months and when I realised that - I didn't weigh myself for I was careful with what I ate - it wouldn't go off however low in calories I went, and I felt dreadful on them anyway. In the course of 2001 I weaned myself off the Paxil - very very slowly - but still my weight wouldn't budge. I started
the Radiant Recovery Program, (Potatoes, not Prozac) and with that I lost 6 pounds or so in 10 months' time. I did the weightloss part of that program from January 2002, and I was hungry all the time, and that was not too good for my mood!
So then I decided to give that up and I switched to Atkins in November 2002. I feel much better and am never hungry and although I can't even have cheese or nuts and lose weight very very slowly, I am losing and feel so much better. I have even been able to do away with the BP medicine, which I am really pleased about.
I have adjusted my weight this morning; I had put my target on 200 pounds, but 180 would be more realistic, so here I am, still need to lose almost a 100 pounds, but with 20 pounds a year I'll get there, too!
I can't promise I'll visit every day, but will do so regularly, and will now go and sign in for the year's commitment, I like that idea!

Willeke
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

Good job so far!!! and Welcome
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 07:24

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Willeke!

Welcome!

I was curious, since you did Atkins in the past, are you doing it the old way this time, or are you subtracting the fiber? For 15 years, my sister (the thin) has been doing a short course of Atkins everytime she puts on a few pounds, and she doesn't subtract the fiber from her carb count.

Re Paxil: I took it for obsessive compulsive disorder and slept an entire year of my life away! I'd rather deal with the OCD than the Paxil!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:26

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default welcome

Welcome to you, Willeke!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Often or not, we always look forward to updates and information sharing. Stop by when you can...

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:28
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome Willeke and thank you for sharing your story with us. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the TDC.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:12

Thanks for the welcomes, Kathryn, Donald and Liz! It's so good to be able to go here to the forum and always find somebody who is willing to "listen" and give support!

Saski, thanks to you, too, and I will probably start subtracting the fibers when I am having more carbs. Because I lsoe weight so very slowly, I eat very little carbs, only those in a little bit of cream in my protein rolls and the ones in my vegetables, and I only eat "safe" ones, i.e. no peas or carrots or onions etcetra, but cauliflkower, broccoli, spinach, celery etcetera.
I eat cheese very rarely, and when I need some "comfort" food, I take a little cream with cocoa and that works fine for me - so far!

Willeke
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:40

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Greetings and welcome! One of the greatest boons of this WOE for me was coming off my anti-depressant (Zoloft). Now I can truly FEEL again!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:19

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Welcome-thanks for sharing your story-I'm glad you found us!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:54

Plan: DR. ATKINS
Stats: 267.2/216.0/150
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hello Willeke !

Welcome to TDC. Thanks for sharing your story. You have come to the right place for support and encouragement.

I look forward to reading from you often.

#10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 21:28

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Welcome to the club, Willeke,

I am a newbie at this, should have done it years ago instead of wasting my time and money on WW.

There is so much good info here and encouragement.

Happy to have you aboard.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:59

Gee, even more welcome messages! How nice to be received like this! Thank you, too, Celtinore, Jane, Donna and Chloe Mae!

Willeke