Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:24

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question Low-Carb Weight Watchers?

Anyone doing a low carb version of Weight Watchers? And if so, how has your progress been? - what foods do you eat? - is there a carb number you try to uphold? Curious - - trying to figure out what to try next since ATKINS has lost its interest and I am having a tough time sticking with it (thus, not losing anything in 4 weeks).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Lisak17 is, here's a link to about the point in her journal where she started: Lisak17's journal
I think she's doing pretty well on it.

Here's a sample menu ripped from the headlines:

breakfast: crustless spinach quiche w/egg whites instead of eggs
snack: strawberries and string cheese
lunch: grilled chicken salad minus the yummy avocado and i am using low fat dressing instead of high but making sure the sugar and carbs are not high
snack: string cheese and 1/2apple or tangerine
dinner: either lean meat/chicken/crab and broc/cauli.
snack: sf jello
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:36

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks Angela - I will read her thread -
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I'm doing something I call "Shoogasizing" which is in essence, a lower carb version of Weight Watchers. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm getting very good results. Whether it's points or calories, they do count.

I'm using real butter and mayo, but not nearly as much as I was using when I was doing Atkins. I'm trying to choose carbs that are high in fiber. I snack on Kashi Good Friends cereal (I eat it dry right out of the box) which is very high in fiber. I also eat about 2 cups of sugar free pudding a day. I make it with skim milk. I eat protein at every meal and I eat all the green vegetables I want.

So far, I'm really liking it.

asugar
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:42

BF:

Asugar - what are the "basics" on the plan you are doing? In other words - do you eat fruit? Is there awebsite with faqs on this - -
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:55
Registered Member

Since I've never liked too many fruits, about the only fruit I've eaten since switching to Shoogasizing is about twice a week I've had a banana. I cut it up and put cinnamon on it and nuke it for 45 seconds and add a little ff cool whip...........tastes just like the inside of a pie.

There really aren't any FAQs, b/c Carol and I made up the term, "Shoogasizing" b/c a few people on the forum call me Shoog!

I try to choose chicken or turkey over beef or pork, but I do eat beef and pork. I eat poached eggs on whole wheat or oat diet toast just about every day. I make sure to include protein at each meal b/c carby meals just don't fill me up. I do better if I eat eggs for breakfast than if I were to have something carby like a bagel, so I don't bother to eat bagels.........they just don't fill me up. I eat lots of veggies. I count points. I bank points. I use butter but sometimes use butter buds instead if I need the points for other things. It's pretty easy to stick to so far. Basically, I can eat anything I want...............I just can't eat everything I want.
asugar
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/156/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 73%

Wow, thanks for the good tips. My husband and I have been talking about the very same thing. He has reached his goal and I am just about there. Upon that happy event we are switching to a more normal diet. Don't get me wrong the Atkins plan has been great but for a family of four with a vegatarian daughter and a son that is not big on meat it makes for interesting meals.
I have the weight watchers program and all the counters from my sister-n-law so we're ready to go as soon as the weight is off.
I think both plans have good points and with some thought they can be combined to satisfy my needs and also my families.

Loribell
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:47

BF:

We I found my old booklets and the counting points thing won't work. But the Shoogasizing plan seems to be just a lower-carb, lower fat, lower calorie WOE - - am I right on this? I can do this with no problem.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:10

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have been on WW for about 3 years. I lost 40 lbs, then gained most of it back. I tried to get back on, but found that it actually gave me too much freedom. Yes, you can have that piece of pizza, but the problem was that one piece led to another, to another, etc...

If you like veggies, you might be able to do lo-carb WW, but the problem is that fat has so many points. It seems you would almost be forece to do a low fat/lo carb version of WW to stay within your points, which IMO could be both unhealthy and not fun.

I will be curious to see if you can figure a way to make it work for you. Will keep my eyes open to see how it is going

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 12:23

BF:

Well after doing research I have decided to try the SOUTH BEACH DIET - low carb/lower fat plan. I will see if it works...have nothing to lose (except weight and inches!

(http://www.prevention.com/cda/featu...0,5023,00.htmlD
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 12:33

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Good luck with South Beach. It looks like it involves a lot of choice (less restrictions) so be careful! I wish you success. And hey, let us know how it goes.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 19:07
Registered Member

Quote:
But the Shoogasizing plan seems to be just a lower-carb, lower fat, lower calorie WOE - - am I right on this? I can do this with no problem.

Yup! So far, I'm really liking it. I don't count calories, instead I count points. CarolCA stumbled across the Southbeach Diet shortly after we changed plans and she ordered the book and is very interested in the SouthBeach Diet, too. It's very similar to what I'm doing. She's been counting calories instead of points, and she broke a stall and has been consistently losing since she switched plans, too. Good luck to you whatever you decide to try.
asugar
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 00:21
Registered Member

Stats: 163/149/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Me Too! Me too!

This thread came to me at just the right time. I, too, have been on a 4-week stall - even though I have been sticking to Atkins religiously - and really really need to see some downward movement.

I have been toying with the idea of doing a lower-fat version of Atkins, possibly with a few more 'good' carbs added now and again.

This e-mail chain has convinced me that the time is right!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Joan
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have been doing the low carb WW after not having much success on Atkins when i tried doing it for the 3rd time. The first time on Atkins i was very successful but my success was not as good the 2nd and 3rd time around.

I really like doing the low carb WW because i think calories really matter for me and Atkins was allowing me to eat too many calories because of the high fat. I also miss my fruit!!

We should all make our own little support network and journal with one another to help each other.

Lisa
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 06:01

Plan: protein power
Stats: 133/???/112 Female 164cm
BF:size 10/ 8 /(6/4)
Progress: 0%

if ur interested in doing a lower fat low carb regime may i recommend 'turn up the heat' by philip L goglia, i think there is a website 2.