Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 199/193/159
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default vodka and soda water

0 carbs?

It says 0 carbs so why can't you have this on Induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/215/140
BF:
Progress: 26%

From what I understand, whenever you drink alcohol, this is burned as fuel first, then you burn fat. by not having alcohol in your diet, it forces your body to burn the next thing, which is fat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:59

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Um...for me, alcohol tends to impair my judgement rather quickly (as you can see in my avatar!).

4 oz of wine only has 2 carbs...

Last edited by MsJinx : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 15:01.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

WAIT that depends on what kind of wine! drier white wines are on the lower end of the spectrum. sweet wines, like chablis or white zinfandels, have more, and i can't remember where reds are but they are on the upper level.

although i drink carb-safe booze, i know that it stalls me a bit. i'd weigh 90 lbs if i didn't because i don't eat much and think all my calories are in liquid form!

that is correct, your body stops everything to burn the alcohol off first.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 19:03

Geez, don't tell me that. I don't like sweet wine, I love dry red.

Fitday just has sweet or dry - must investigate more. I only had 4 oz, and am still at only 15 carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 19:06

Ok, that was close. I checked on the Protein Power site - they list 3-4 effective carbs for dry white or red wine. That's what my protein counter book says, too. Geez, I need a drink!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 07:20
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

Jinx, it may have 0 carbs but it will prevent weight loss. I personally think that when you have little weight to lose (like you do), alcohol is a big staller.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 07:28
Registered Member

Stats: 251/240/170
BF:
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up Vodka & Soda Water

Nothing is keeping me away from a few drinks on a Friday night! It's hard enough to explain to my friends why I leave the bun off a burger or "no dessert" when I've always been a notorious dessert eater. But explaining trying to explain that water or a diet pop is what I really want to be drinking on a Friday night - they'd never let me live that down. Besides I enjoy a few drinks - it';s bad enmough I've switched from red wine to vodka & soda water and if it means it will take another six months to reach my goal weight, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Just like not giving up my coffee - I have to have something to look forward to.

Everything in moderation...especially alcohol

Tiff
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 07:59

Thanks DCMark,
I'm sure you're right and I am certainly trying to follow Induction to the letter, otherwise. HOWEVER, I'm really having the same problems as Tiffany. My fella is a vegetarian - thanks to me because I was one for 13 years. I already have to cook all my non-veggie protein sources while he is not around. I don't like to eat meat out because I'm against factory farming so that limits me to one bbq joint in town (great BBQ chicken and big salad!) - so, the only real entertainment I have is to SIP my 4oz of red wine with him and friends, and eat my part-skim mozzarella (have SERIOUS mold allergy - can only eat fresh cheese).

It's super tough for me around friends and family because #1) I've been on the veggie bandwagon forever - and still believe it can do a lot of good if you can stick to whole food in right proportion- I couldn't. #2) They think I'm trying to crash diet - and, as I am aware, I am within my proper BMI and am by far the smallest person in my entire family.

Fact is, I get to where I can barely function and spend most of my day lieing around - because of CARBS. I am not kidding - I feel disabled. Members of my family struggle with obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and all the other chronic illness that comes with poor diet - they can't comprehend that someone who looks fit ISN'T. SO, I am doing this program in secret - results will be proof to myself and them.

I'M STICKING WITH IT! Thanks for you support, you wonderful people.
Most Sincerely, the Jinx
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:00

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

NO booze during induction! Im not going to drink intill I reach my goal weight. I dont need alcohol stalling me! I think its better to wait intill your closer to your goal weight.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

I hear you Jinx as I love to drink. The other aspect of drinking for me is that it reduces my willpower super quick, and i find myself cheating. So its a double wammy!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:19

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%
Smile

In Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution on page 181 he discusses alcohol use and on page 492 it shows the carb counts on some. I think somewhere on page 188 or there about it says no alcohol on induction. With as little weight as you have to lose; you are more than ready to go on to OWL if you choose. An important fact that I had forgotten: Drinking alcohol postpones your weight loss because you burn the alcohol before the fat BUT once the alcohol is gone you go right back to being in lypolysis.

Just some info,
Aysiama
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:14

Plan: Atkins-induction
Stats: 188/177/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

I won't weigh in on wether to drink or not, I just want to share that when my friend who is a bartender was creating Atkin's friendly drinks for me...she added a splash of diet 7up and it made the vodka and club soda even better. Just an FYI. If you are gonna go off the wagon, make sure it tastes as good as possible. I have 1 a weekend. That's my "big treat" for now. Best of luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:25

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

If you want to make your induction period, work the best for you.........................NO DRINKING.................... However after induction, the odd one surely is a nice reward

Cheers Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:41
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Definitely no drinking on induction! It's only 2 weeks - why not do it right?

Afterward - you can have red wine, or vodka, or scotch, or rye (Irish whiskey), or gin...

So Tiffany - you can go back to red wine if you want to.

Just be aware that any alcohol can stall your loss. So, depending how much you have to lose, and how fast your losing, it is definitely one of those YMMV things, but use good common sense.

Personally, I'm one of those who won't give it up - I've given up enough of my favorite things