Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 12:18
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default Soy versus Whey

I have noticed that most people here are using whey powder. I have a can of Soy Supplement for women. I bought it when I used to go the gym a couple of years ago and only used it a couple of times because I thought it had too many calories. I tried it yesterday and it's not great tasting but swallowable mixed mith yogurt. I know its too carby for most people on Atkins but at 14 carb per dose not too bad for some of the other plans.

Someone told me they use a Designer Whey that has only 2 carbs per dose.

So I guess what I'm really asking is - is Whey preferred over soy because of taste or the lower carbs? Is there a Soy Protein Powder that is lower in carb? and, what's the fat content in whey high or low?

Does Whey provide the same benefits to women as Soy is supposed to - I don't know what those benefits are exactly but have been told I should take a lot of soy products as I am female.

I'm considering starting to use a protein supplement powder as a way to increase protein without adding a lot of cals or fat. I need one that uses no artificial sweetners, and no sucrose - fructose is acceptable.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 13:57

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Is soy good for women??? Something to do with estrogen? I'm quite curious cos I'm 53 and into menopause (or past it? Not sure when the dividing line is.. but no more TOM for ages now, like over a year?). I don't have too many hot flashes, never did have night sweats.. but fatigue and *ahem* reduced libido are still issues.

Both of those are somewhat better since LC'ing though - maybe cos I feel a bit better about myself now that I'm trying to lose weight? And the fatigue would be better if I'd get to bed at a decent hour when I have to get up early!! LOL I guess I'm just not reconciled to not having my youthful stamina any more.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:50
Stepford Malfunction

Jeany

Supposedly soy has many benefits for women - not being very good at taking vitamins/supplements (got a cupoard full and I hardly ever take one ) I haven't paid much attention to what the benefits actually are - . I am a few years younger than you and my symptoms so far are - dwindling Tom - more insomnia than usual - an occasional "warm spell" I'm always cold so I guess this is my version of a hot flash - and on occasion I feel absolutely exhausted quite suddenly - I guess we could be doing worse. My mother had a very hard time - if I keep on getting off this easily I'll be happy. Oh how could I forget to mention "slowed metabolism" that I can definitely do without
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:18

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I popped into another health food store today and got thoroughly confused.. There is soy protein, there is whey protein, there is egg protein.. LOL Saw a product called Egg D'Lite which looked interesting for baking. But so far the only shake type stuff I've had is Designer Whey. It tastes good and is LC, but how it compares to the other brands... well, I'd need to take my laptop with me!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I believe that soy protein isolate (soy protein powder) has slightly more protein than the whey protein powder, which is why it is preferred by some body builders.

I have only tried the soy so far and the taste is, well, less than perfect. Which could be why I've only ever tried it the once...

My soy powder is carb free, as I believe the whey protein powder is. So I would keep looking until you find the product with no carbs.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 20:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%

Ok I know its all confusing. Most of my customers buy Whey. Whey contains more protein than soy per serving. Whey usually taste better and contains more amino acids. It also contains immunoglbans which are good for your immone system. soy is a phyto-estrogen plant it is not the top choice for bodybuilders. It is however the top choice for women. It helps in menopause and pms. It helps to lower cholesterol and good for your bones. most all protein powders are low carb it is the meal replacements that have the carbs. The best tasting powder i have had is something called permi-lean ? i forget how to spell it. I hope that helps any ? on supplements just let me know.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 07:34

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

I have read alot of scary things about soy lately, so I am steering clear of all soy products. Go to www.mercola.com and do a search for soy, good info there.

Koko, I use whey protein, and am happy with it. I have alot of digestive problems, and the whey seems to be a calming influence on my stomach. Plus, it tastes better, the soy is just so gross!!

-Denise
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:31

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've recently seen that website as well. Someone on the SB board pointed me to it. I'm not using soy products anymore. I used to eat a soy shake for breakfast; but am not eating more eggs and meat instead.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 09:23
Stepford Malfunction

Default Thanks Everyone

I got some "Whey Gourmet" Low in Carbs, Cals, Fat and high in protein. I also finally got some L-Glutamine and Stevia. I don't go to the city often so being able to find this was a big deal for me.

GNCLC Girl - I even bought a GNC gold card The selection of supplements at the Wallmart where I am is not very good and since I go to town so seldom its much easier for me to go the GNC so I figured I might as well get the card if I planned on using the powder on a regular basis. Wow all those supplements really are quite overwhelming!!!!

Thanks again for all the tips
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:29

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

You can get supplements far cheaper online than GNC. I used to have a gold card to GNC until I saw some prices on the internet.

Someone recommended vitaglo.com to me, which I've used.
I've also used nutritionexpress.com with good results (and prices)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-06, 15:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Optimum nutrition 23g of protein and aroud 1-2g of carbs 0g of fat taste great and great price
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 08:24
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Men should never take soy. Don't know about women.

Why would any of us need to take whey or protein powders? If you eat some eggs for breakfast and protein at lunch and dinner -- you are getting all the protein and amino acids you need.

The only reason I would see for taking them is if you could not cook a meal and needed to eat on the run. A lot of the protein shakes and bars have them -- but again these are not a good meal.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 18:19

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

There has been a lot in the news over the years about the benefits of soy in all forms, although most "alternative" practicioners have long been wary of it. Weston A Price also has a section on soy. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

Recently I saw an article that indicated that some in "mainstream" medical are starting to question soy's role in cancer. Replacement estrogen is considered at least a contributing factor in at least breast cancer.....so is replacement estrogen, natural or artificial.....but phytoestrogens for some reason have always been given the green light....in fact promoted for women! Makes no sense to me.

I avoid all soy except fermented...and only have very small amounts of it. I check all labels for soy, and if possible buy the item without soy. I figure small amounts probably aren't bad....but soy is in so many foods in so many forms that it scares me.

Now, I do use HRT for menopause symptoms. I use the patch, which I feel is the safest way to take it. Since it's absorbed thru the skin it doesnt' go thru the liver first and smaller doses are needed. I still have symptoms (you only take enough to control, not stop symptoms), but I'm functional. I had hot flashes several times an hour. Didn't sleep, very cranky, and would even get nausea from the hot flashes! (I never had morning sickness, maybe this is payback? lol) According to my doc my symptoms should gradually fade, and then we cut back or stop the replacement. With all I've read about soy, I feel that this is much safer and more effective than taking in soy and other phytoestrogens.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 07:06

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Soy is not beneficial, it messes up your hormones, whether you a male or female. It also causes hypothyroidism. Soy infant formulas are just dreadful. I highly recommend you do a search on soy. This is a good place to start: http://www.thewholesoystory.com/
whey is way better....but I agree, if you eat enough meat and eggs, and hard cheeses, you shouldn't need extra protein. What you need is fat. Too much protein can cause problems, too. Protein is converted into glucose faster than fat.