Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Crap!!!

Well, I thought I would never be writing in this thread, but I have been having an affair with carbs the last month. Well, since Valentines Day to be honest. My wife made little sugar heart cookies for my girl, and I couldn't pass it up. Since then I can't seem to go a day without something bad to eat. And let me tell you, sugar sucks. When I began LCing, my cholesterol was 200 with my HDL at 46 and my triglycerides at 48. I had my blood drawn last week and now my total cholesterol is 282, my HDL is 44, and my triglycerides are 185! Thank you beer, ice cream, candy...ALL CRAP! Plus I gained 10 pounds back!!!!!

Now here I am, 15 minutes after my doctor's office called me with these latest numbers and I am freaking out about continuing a low carb diet thinking that I am going to die of heart disease at a young age all because I could not resist a stupid heart cookie!!! Rather ironic, huh?

Somebody please tell me something encouraging...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Two questions??

How do you feel when you eat high carbs???

How do you feel when you low carb???

Am I right or I am I right??

It's hard I've slipped myself. But as soon as I get back with the program I feel 100% better you will too.

Where there's a will there's a way !

Good Luck Ellen

Some cheerleaders for extra encouragement

Last edited by geel : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 18:11.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: South Atkins
Stats: 299/285/220 Male 74 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Thanks Ellen

You're right, and I know LCing is the way to live. In fact, my doctor actually told me to go back on Protein Power, follow it strictly, and he'll check my numbers again in 45 days.

Sometimes I think the problem with LCing is that once you are on it and doing great, you feel so wonderful you think you can revert to eating like a teenager again. Then two months later your blood work is a mess and you feel like crap and you have no one else to blame.

Well, thanks for the encouragement. I am back in the saddle with 70 pounds to lose by Christmas. Everyone is so nice in these forums.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins/testing CAD
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Welcome back to sanity..

Isn't it amazing how fast we can spiral down! It just goes to show you just how much we have to be aware that we have a serious problem. When I was young losing weight was more for vanity than anything else, but not anymore. I lost two sisters this year suddenly to heart failure, both with carb issues just like me and very overweight. That put reality right in my face because I sure don't want to be the next in line.

So I totally understand the seriousness of those numbers the doctor gave you and of your sincere concern. I have to make this work too. I'm trying to see a cookie or a candy bar as poison because for me they are. What I'm starting to do is learn different recipes for making special things for myself that aren't made of poison so when others reach for that type of food I can reach for mine. Avoiding feelings of deprivation are for me a real key to insuring my success. I wish you the very best success.