Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/178/140
BF:
Progress: 12%
Question Nuts during Induction?

Are you allowed to eat nuts during the Induction phase?

This is only my second day on the Induction phase and things are going good. I was just feeling a little hungry and went to the store in my building to grab a little snack. I picked up some cashews thinking I could have 2 tbsp. Now, it seems that I was supposed to avoid nuts until after the Induction Phase.

Can someone provide clarification on whether nuts are allowed during Induction please? And seeds?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:28
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%

I didn't eat any nuts during induction....you should be strict with yourself on induction. Follow it to the "T".....the 14 days will go by fast and then you will be so happy you did...it seems that once you go past that you can add a bit of nuts and boy do you appreciate them.....be careful about the nuts...some have a bit of sugar in them....almonds are the best....if you need something crunchy try pork rinds...

Good Luck....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:34

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I find that I get cravings after eating them - I'm on day 1 of induction and am staying away from those lucious macadamias in my cupboard...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:36

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Post According to the book...

The answer is yes. Under the Rules of Induction in the book, it says that you can use foods like nuts, HOWEVER you need to be aware of how many carbs are in the nuts. Most of your carbs (Induction) are supposed to come from green leafy veggies. So be AWARE.

Nuts can stall some people. I stayed away from nuts on induction because the amount I was allowed wasn't a big enough serving for me. Just like chips, You can't eat just 1, or 2, 3, or 4.

Here's some quantity/carb info on nuts from the book:

Almonds (15) - 4gms carbs
Brazil Nuts (10) - 4gms carbs
Macadamia Nuts (12) - 4gms carbs
Pecans (10 halves) - 4gms carbs
Pistachios ( 50) - 5gms carbs
Sunflower seeds (1oz) - 6gms
Walnuts ( 1oz) - 4gms

Also be aware of the SALT, for many salt causes water retention, so they stay away from very salty nuts.

I hope this helps. you can slow use fitday.com to plug in what you eat, it gives you a carb amount for everything.

Have a great LC day
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default I just gave the cashews away!

Okay, I am a bit bummed that I strayed but I just gave the cashews to a co-worker!

I want to be super strict during the Induction phase!

Oh well, you live and learn.

Thanks for the info!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:26
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have found that a handful of macademia nuts curves my appetite. They are low in carbs and high in fat. Nuts have not slowed my diet. I would just be aware of carb content, as different nuts have different amounts of carbs. Also, almonds are a source or calcium.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking Walnuts

I was looking at my journal and I did eat some walnuts. The amount of carbs equals the amount of fiber....you can subtract the amount of fiber from the amount of carbs to get the net carbs.

So..they are the lowest of all of the nuts I found thus far that I like. So....I think as long as your weight loss does not stall then go for it....if it does then cut back.

You never know what is going to work best for you until you try it. Everyones body is different. Don't beat yourself up. It is not as though you went through the MCDonalds drive thru and ate a big mac...bread an all....

Keep your chin up!!! You can do this....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i think nuts can be a trigger food for a lot of people, you know, make you say 'to heck with it, i want to kill me a baguette' type of food.

the thing about induction (in my eyes) is that it's a time to eat very simple foods and let your body adjust to things, while getting over foods that may not be in your best interests - these foods vary for everyone. gives you a nice long think about what you've been putting in your body.

i've such an addictive personality that it's best for me to stay with salads and grilled meats for a bit to 'get over' the foods that tee me off.

as far as nuts, however, they don't really bother me or trigger me. my appetite has dropped so low that i generally eat nuts each day as i'm trying to get in all the protein i can while staying under 20 carbs a day. i sprinkle unsalted sunflower seeds on my salad to get the extra protein in me.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:58
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I thought you were NOT allowed nuts on Induction.

Peace
red
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 19:54
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy I read my Atkins Books

When I got home I flipped through the Atkins book (aka The Bible) and appears that nuts are not on the acceptable list of foods for Induction. Or, more precisely, the books states, "should be avoided for two weeks."

I took it easy on the veggies at dinner in order to try to compensate.

Oh well, I will just have to be better tomorrow.