Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:09

Plan: OWL
Stats: 141/135/125
BF:Dont have a clue
Progress: 38%
Talking New to Atkins but Does it really work?

Hi I am Harley logging in for the first time. I began Atkins about two weeks ago. The books are so wishy washy. First it says do Induction then next it says you dont need induction if you only have 1-20 lbs to loose. Yet I cut down drastically on my carb intake and actually measing things as never before. I have lost 5 pounds but now I cant lose anymore WHY not? I still have my jelly roll around my belly. I am 135 now and would like to go back to 125 can anyone please tell me which is the correct thing to do? I find the Induction in the new blue books very vague and thergore I am going by the older book. If someone knows more than I do please tell me. I take in NO sugars, potatoes, pastas, sauces etc. I eat lean meats fish eggs, soy pan cakes two small ones and veges in the list. No fruis for the last three weeks. so now what?
Harley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:27

Plan: OWL
Stats: 141/135/125
BF:Dont have a clue
Progress: 38%
Question Never Done a Diet in My life

Hi ya'll

Does anyone really beleive this Low Carb Diet or life change? I am diong everything and still holding the weight WHY is this? I initially lost 5 lbs but I feel it is just TOM weight and therefore I have not lost anything really. I do not eat sweets of anykind or shape never did. I do not eat potatoes, pasta, breads cereals fruits for the past three weeks. What more can I do? Atkins blue books says no inductin if you only have 10-20 lbs to lose so why is this not working? I am swimming, walking and still I am holding the 135? Can someone please advise me? the blue book also does not clearly identify the induction phase at least after reading and rereading i still have not found it listed except the tiny blue blurp at the beginning I think page 5. I would still like to lose ten more lbs to be back to 125. It it essential I lose this. I have spine problems and it is necessary to be very light. And so the eccess fat I have I must rid myself of besides feeling sexier and looking better. Can anyone please advise me?
Thanks so much
Harley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:38

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Hi there Harley,

I'm writing you back because you and I are just about the same height, and are looking to lose about the same amount of weight. I have done induction and have only lost 1 lb., but I'm sticking with Atkins, as I lose weight terribly slowly - I'd like to know it's coming off, no matter how long it takes. And because you have so little to lose, it makes sense that it won't come off in a week...

In my experience on these boards, people who are trying to lose over 30 lbs. tend to lose weight much faster than someone who is trying to lose only ten. We can keep an eye on each other, if you like, as we're so close in our aims!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:51
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Log in to www.fitday.com to check your actual carb count. There are numerous reasons why we fail to lose, not the least of which may be that you are close to your goal weight and those last pounds are the most difficult to lose. You may be eating too little and have placed your body in starvation mode. You may already BE at your goal weight (your body's that is, doesn't always agree with our own ). Then there is the fact that losing 5 pounds in 2 weeks is good and a quicker weight loss is neither practical nor desirable. Your body needs time to adjust so you may find yourself in a holding pattern for awhile.
Remember - this is an ongoing way of eating, not a diet!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 112/112/112 Female 5'5"
BF:20%
Progress:

I don't know if this will help but it's my own experience. I am fairly slender but wanted to lose a few gained pounds so my pants would be more comfy. I actually gained weight (heresy!) thinking I would not have to watch my intake. I find that I must indeed watch my calories as well as limit carbs. ..especially since you sound like you never ate many carbs anyway you may not benefit as much as if you were insulin resistant to any degree. Anyhow, my lipid panel was so totally great compared to my past ones, that I am a devout low carber.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:08

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I agree - the closer you are to goal keeping track of calories really helps. Especially if you don't lose much on Induction.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:16

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

NOW, I DO NOT MEAN GO WAY LOW OR ANYTHING!! I just mean check out what you're eating on fitday.com - might offer some answers.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:59
Registered Member

Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

At 5'7" you are at goal weight. If I were you, I would be jumping for joy...

However, I remember back when I was skinny I could never lose enough weight either. At 5'10" I was personally happiest at 120 pounds, although my body insisted on being 150. Sometimes we have to just listen to our bodies, and let it go at that. Frustrating as it may be.

Last edited by Laika : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 21:02.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 01:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
so now what?

Start resistance training or Pilates which will give you a leaner, meaner look. It will also boost your metabolism and turn your body into an efficient, fat burning machine.

It would probably be a good idea to get your body fat % checked out at a gym.

Here's a rough guideline for women:

18-39 years 21-32 percent
40-59 years 23-33 percent
60-79 years 24-35 percent

Lowcarbing is not a quick weight loss "diet". It's learning a way of eating that will keep you healthy for the rest of your life.

Most people can expect to lose 10% in the first 2 weeks and 5% every month afterwards and you have already surpassed that.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins style
Stats: 267/249/195 Male 76 inch
BF:
Progress: 25%

Yeah I'd say it works. Keep at it and listen to the kind folks advice in here, good stuff
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 13:26

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Exclamation

If you go over to the other boards and read around, you'll see that these periods of seeming stall are almost always followed by a whoosh of several pounds disappearing. Stick with it, this is not a quick weight loss plan, it's a permanent lifestyle choice-

All the Best
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 13:28
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Talking This is my Way of Life now

This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.
Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month. So at your weight it should be slow.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know....at 5' 7", you're already at a healthy weight for your height and your body is likely to fight you getting any lower. Not that it's not possible, but most people find those last 10 pounds towards goal the slowest to come off and trying to actually get below a healthy weight for your body is going to take even more time and effort, even at induction levels.
Dr. Atkins recommends that if you have 20 pounds or less to lose that you actually start at 25 or 30 grams of carb per day (ongoing weight loss).
Has your doctor actually told you that you need to weigh less than your ideal weight? Most orthos that I know of would more likely recommend special exercises to strenghthen the back muscles and physical therapy rather than additional weight loss if a patient was already at a reasonable weight for their height because going lower than your ideal weight/body fat percentage carries health risks of its own. It's also no guarantee that you won't continue to have problems with your back.
How much you decide to lose is up to you, but be aware that it's likely going to be a difficult process even on low carb.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:31

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Ditto...

Ditto on what lkonzelman said. this way of eating really melts off fat, not muscle. And if you are eating high protein and excerising, you are probably building muscle. Muscle weighs more that fat, so you may be losing fat but the muscle you are building outweighs it so it looks like a stall. I'm not saying this IS what is happening, but I have seen it here on these forums and in my own experience. You might be better off taking measurements rather than getting on the scale.
Hang in there, Harley!

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 20:30

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Question

Hi Karen,

In your above post you mention you should lose 10%, then 5%.

Of what ?? Is that 10% of your starting weight or 10% of your goal?

And the 5% ??

Thank you.