Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/190/150
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default loose skin

Hi all,
I'm new to your site and have a question I haven't really seen answered anywhere. I have lost 60 lbs, and plan to loose another 40.... Do most people that loose 100 lbs need to have the loose skin surgically removed? I know exercise will help a little, which I am now finally doing, but I'm really doubtfull that all that skin will tighten up, specially my stomach and under my arms between my shoulder and elbow.... (a little under the chin) I'd like to know what others have done about this, surgury is expensive, but to go thru all the work of loosing 100 lbs, to have ugly skin, maybe I'll have to?....
Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:39
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Skin is very elastic. (think pregnancy) It is my understanding that a slow, gradual weight loss will reduce the likelihood of all that sagging.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:43

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I've lost close to 60 pounds over the past 2 years and have no loose skin. Skin is not like a rubber band, it will not snap to form in a few months. Although it is elastic, it does take time for it to "shrink".

While exercise helps tighten the skin's tone, losing weight slowly is normally the best route, aside from going under the knife.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 18:31

Stats: 177/177/135 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have that loose skin too. It has taken 2 yars for m to loos the 65 pounds, but at my heavist was during my twin pregnacy when I weighed 245. My stretch marks are huge and wid, and was told that no way would my skin go back as stretch marks are signs of damage is that true?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 08:53

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Unhappy

I hope it's not true!! I had a 10 1/2 pound baby last year, and have some stretch marks under my belly button. The skin around my tummy has flattened quite well, but now I have some "wrinkles" around the area when I bend over. Gross!! I was hoping it would eventually "snap-back" and smooth out.
Carole
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 11:26

Stats: 177/177/135 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started using viatmin E and the brushing that was suggested here, but I am not sure. Anyone really know???
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:47
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

As a mother of two I can tell you that no, nobody knows! There are a million products on the market but it is my understanding that only exercise has any effect on reducing sag. As for the marks....might want to start looking at them as well deserved badges of courage.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 09:14

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I know some of my marks have started to turn a faint white as I have lost weight. Also have been told a good suntan helps "hide" them pretty well. I personally haven't tried the skin brushing or Vietiman E.....figured I would worry about losing the weight first
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: Who knows!
Stats: 124/117/103 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:20% / 19% / 16%
Progress: 33%

What is this "Skin Brushing"? I had a baby 3.5 months ago. I gained 50lbs that weren't baby and have lost 35 of those pounds since I had him. So needless to say my belly is in need of some love. From what I've read (and tried) the cremes help reduce darkness of the marks but the only thing make the dimples go away the most is laser surgery and as for the sag...exercise will only do so much. (I'm already thinking of what 2nd job I'm going to apply for to save up for the tummy tuck. *sigh*) But I have to say my son was more then well worth it.