Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 02:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%
Unhappy **sob**

What a stinker. Been soo good on my diet all week, never straying once, and what do I loose? A miserable 1/2 lb. Could not believe it. If I hadn't read about this happening in this forum, think I might have gone out and ordered a pizza *sigh*. Maybe the weight loss fairy might be kinder to me next week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 02:54

Stats: 130/130/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pamlyn,

Don't get too down about it. First of all, think what half a pound kinda looks like.. go grab a half pound of hamburger meat from the freezer. I know it is not an exact measurement or science, but I find that visuals help me a lot. Then think, ok that is a 1/2 lb that I dont want to ever see again and that I dont have to see again!!. Now, I have been reading a lot of posts on here and I have been seeing reports of weightloss from .5 lbs a week to 1.5 and up. I have 130 lbs to lose.. at 1.5 lbs a week that puts me at December 2004. That sounds kind of depressing, but then I think about how long I have been unhappy being overweight.. 4 years or so and that kind of puts it all into perspective. GRATS ON YOUR 1/2 lb loss!!! You are on your way to skinny livin !!

-Amber
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 03:48

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Ambylee,
Think of it as 2 sticks of butter. 1/2 lb fat.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 05:45
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

And also you could have done better on inches. I stayed the same for 4 weeks, I would have been happy to at the very least see a 1/2 pound loss.

I always try to look at it this way, you still weigh less than you did. Slow and steady will still get you there!!!!

Keep up the good work!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 06:02

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Don't forget...eating the way you are supposed to is cumulative....which means maybe next week you might lose a couple of pounds. You never know!!! Hey...a loss is a loss is a loss, right

Congratulations on that loss!

L
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 09:17

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I've also lost 1/2lb last week, but I've lost 1"around my waist, which I could not believe. I was looking at that tape measure and laughing like a child
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 11:30
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Pamlyn - how long have you been LCing?

To me it looks like you're doing great - what is it, 10 lbs down? Yay!

Also, are you measuring yourself? Lots of people lose either weight, or inches, but not both at the same time.

I hope you're exercising too, because you will be trimming yourself down, but don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat! So by working out you may not see the difference on the scale at times, but you'll be building that muscle, getting toned and slimmer, and burning fat!

Keep up the good work, and come cry on my shoulder any ol' time
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I am surprised you can read 1/2 lb on your scale! Sometimes I go a few weeks without losing and then, boom 5 lbs is gone. So, I wouldn't worry. After all, it is about how you feel, right?

Amber, I started out at 270 and am at 240. So, don't feel discouraged. Some of us are here for the "long" haul. It is hard to know you have lost 30 lbs and still have 100 to go. So, I cut my goals in to a lot of mini goals. That way I have smaller amounts to get to and I don't get discouraged at that BIG number!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:18
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Pamlyn,

Your profile says you started LC March 17. That puts you in about week 4. Weeks 3 and 4 seem to be notorious stallers. I know for me they were. I actually started GAINING my last week of Induction. What started out looking like a 14.5 lb loss ended up a 12.5 loss. Next week I gained a half pound!

Nonethless, six weeks into it, I'm 20 lbs down. If you are going to stick with this and be successfull you must learn to expect the ups and downs. They seem to affect everyone. Someone might say they're average 2 lbs a week or whatever, but rarely is that loss consistent. It's more like up two, down three, up a half, down 1....

Certainly that's been my experience. Try to focus on the big picture. I try on a pair of tight pants every morning to see my progress and take measurements every two weeks. The scale is only one tool you have, and by no means the most effective one.

Good luck!

K.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:22
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Pamlyn...

Trust the advice you have here...you're doing FINE. The fact that you did not gain is reason enough to celebrate considering how wonderful this WOE is!!

Be a happy cat!! Your body is going through LOTS of great changes...not always measureable on the scale! Inches, health, lowering sugar, cholesterol, metabolism, etc. That scale will not give you the picture...the LONG-TERM results will!

Hang in there!! Good job so far,

#11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:22

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I agree with what everyone else has said so far.

Just one more thing to add.

The next time you are sad about only dropping 1/2 pound, just go outside and SMACK your thumb with a hammer.
Sounds silly doesn't it? Why would you hurt yourself like that? Of course not!! Well, that's exactly what you would be doing if you ate a pizza.

If you are feeling down, instead of thinking of something harmful...try to think of something uplifting and praiseworthy.
I'm glad you didn't eat that pizza! I'm glad you came to this support forum instead.

My mother-in-law told me the quickest way to forget your troubles is to help someone else. When I feel discouraged about not losing as quickly as I would like, I turn on the computer and try to encourage others who are having a harder time than me. It works like a charm EVERY time.

Happy Dieting Pamlyn
Ho! Ho! Ho!

P.S. Just remember, the scale didn't go up!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:03

Stats: 247/206/135
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi!

Just wanted to say I'm in there with ya - but I am seeing the inches come off, and just think- 1/2 week is 25 pounds gone in a year! I'm okay with that!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 01:08

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Hi again everyone. Thank you all for the support. Did not mean to sound soo "down". Any loss is better than no loss. And no, I did not eat the pizza.
Weirdest thing happened tho. On the Monday when I had only lost the 200gram, well jumped on the scales Tuesday (could not help myself!), and WHAMMO, another 800g has gone. That would have made it 1 kg (2.2 lbs). Oh boy, thank goodness for all your support.
ps: scales going back into the cupboard till next Monday.

Cheers all
Pam