Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 23:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%
Unhappy past drug abuse

this may be an old topic...

does anyone in this forum have a history of drug abuse?? I do and can't help but think it has SOMETHING to do with my current metabolism problems....As i realize this may be a sensitive subject ....Please contact me however..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 01:07

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't had this problem, but if you go to the Focus Groups I'm sure there's a specific forum for Addiction, etc. I'm hoping there's somebody there who could answer your question.

Good luck to you. And congrats on your success in that area and continued success with LCing.

N.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not an expert in this, but a really good book that covers rebalancing your body chemistry is the Diet Cure by Julia Ross.

What I do know is that drug/alcohol addiction can be replaced by sugar/carb addiction. There's always a battle to fight...

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 22:15

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I did quite a few drugs in high school (1996-1998 mainly) and was thin all throughout because I exercised obsessively to stay that way..(swim team, biked everywhere, locked myself in my room to do aerobics..)

I find that now its hard for me to speed up my metabolism.. I have to REALLY FREAKIN TRY to lose weight.. sigh..

List of drugs used... wow, havent talked about this openly in a LONG time..
Acid (LSD)
Speed (various forms, mostly just ephedrine/psuedoephedrine...)

Ecstacy only a couple times, hated it..
I never smoked cigarettes, and I hated pot.. tried Coke once, hated it..
I only preferred uppers, things that made me hyper and happy.. (and things that obviously sped up my metabolism rapidly..)shrug.. I quit everything cold turkey with I turned 18 pretty much...

Go figure, now Im all settled down, have a house, and am graduating college in December.. so.. I was a smart drug user I guess.. heh.. Nobody would ever know my past by talking with or looking at me...

but I do believe that my freak diets, fasting, crazy exercise, use of ephedrine and LSD all had something to do with my metabolism not being as fast as it should be.. hope thats what you were looking for.. take care..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 23:57
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Thank you for your responses! I was afraid it might get some neg. attention. I am glad to see some really good advice and honest feedback. I will look into each of them.

As, a response anyone who has had any of these issues.

I personally have been clean and sober over 11 years. I suddenly realized drugs were wrong at about 16. lol. I battled a cocain addition. (among other things)

At 25 (I am 30 now) the weight started. Everyones first response is family members with diabetes. All were so by the age of 15. I have been diagnosed with a number of blood sugar/matabolic disorders not heard of in my family. I have asked and several Dr.s are split down the middle as the part my past plays..

I am honestly out there to see how many may think this could play appart. The reports I have found do not really dwell on the subject.

again thanks!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 04:54

Plan: Atkins & Hypnosis
Stats: 229/229/150 Female 63 inches
BF:not a clue!
Progress: 0%
Default peshka

Absolutely, I think past drug addictions are definately a part of your/my weight problem now.

Nicotine, cocaine, speed, all increase metabolism and decrease appetite. My cigarette habit alone caused a tremendous weight gain, because I would smoke when I was nervous, and now I turn to food, replacing one addiction with another.

I try not to live in the past, but choose to recognize the problem and get on with changing my life.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 09:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Another book that you may be interested in is Potatoes Not Prozac by Kathleen DesMaisons. It came about from her work with recovering alcoholics and focusses on balancing brain chemistry.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 01:42
Registered Member

BF:

yes potatoes!!!!!!!!! oopps I hate them! lol! thanks Karen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 23:36
Registered Member

BF:

Wow! Just a question...Why is this now in the WAR Zone?? Was it my potatoe comment...I just miss them. LOL If I have offended please forgive me....Just was confused by the choice of forums
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 23:49
Forum Founder

BF:

Hey Froggirl!

You originally started the thread in the War Zone and it was moved to the Addiction & Depression Forum. It's not a topic to "war" over!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 00:31
Registered Member

BF:

I not be so smart 'bout dem puters....lol Take care and thanks!!

This site has been Uber helpfull! Thanks for your help and advice!

Many Blessings,
Froggirl

P.S. 5 more pds bit the dust!!