Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:
Red face I must hide the sugar free candies!!!

I went to Walmart today and bought three different types of sugar free candies (Creme Savers and Golighty Creme Doublers)

I was very impressed with the way they tasted. Been snacking on them all day. Here at work and ate a few more......no effects whatsoever.

I feel guilty eating all of this candy, must hide them quick! Tummy is starting to grumble, it sounds like a thunder/lightening storm in there though it does not hurt or anything. Drinking tons of water and trying not to think of how delicious those darn candies are!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 22:05

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Maybe they won't affect you and you can keep eating them? I bought sugar free taffy candy and they were yummy but made me stall. It's crazy how small things like sugar free candy are so good when you're on this diet!!! My rule of thumb is to not bring anything that I shouldn't have into the house, chances are I will be too lasy to go to the store for just one thing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 22:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

Ahh I have the same problem, I'm actually typing this as my stomach is making those same noises! I bought some Russell Stovers Peanut Butter cups and they have been the death of me! lol They taste so good and right on the package it says "Excessive consumption may cause laxative effect"... But do you think that stopped me? No..
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 22:45

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Actually they just made me kind of gassy, nothing more. My tummy is back to normal now. I saw the russel stovers chocolates and ran the other direction. Those would be worse than the hard candies for me in terms of stopping.

I managed to put the candies away a couple of hours ago and there not even a temptation anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 23:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 129/125/110
BF:
Progress: 21%

I know whatcha mean. I am suffering from those sugar alcohol effects once again. Ouch..so painful. I vowed last time I ate them I wouldn't buy them again, but I did...and I am in pain. I even tried drinking some pepto bismal before eating the candies. When will I learn? Well, maybe I can sleep off the cramps and the gurgles.
Hopefully everyone feels better soon too!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 23:54
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Those things never tasted good enough for me to indulge! I'd much rather have a LC cheesecake in the fridge...but I thought I'd mention a thread by Violet, called "been bad and gaining"... about how these bars and treats can really lead to a bad scene...

Something to keep in mind

Last edited by DDMariana : Sat, Apr-12-03 at 23:57.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 01:46

Stats: 130/130/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

How I fixed my sugarfree candy addiction (unintentionally):

Ate a bag of sugarfree Jelly Bellys.... they are small... they are pretty... they are delicious... quite innocent looking.. afterall... I used to eat Jelly Bellys all the time on my fat free diet kick... DID NOT PAY ATTENTION TO WARNING (which was about this big Excessive consumption may cause laxative effect.

Spent a whole afternoon and evening.. into about 9 am the next morning with horrible stomach cramping and etc...(details unneccesary )

An experience like that will make you think... I now limit myself to about 5 or 10 a night.. and it is not hard to do They still taste damn good but they are the devil!!!

Good luck to all of you! - Amber
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 01:52

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

So you fellow SF candy addicts know, there is a new challenge: Kick the Sweetener!!

I don't think it's going to be very strict, but I know that I personally need to LAY OFF these evil items. It's just so bad to eat them as a habit. Anyway, feel free to stop by for sweetener-free support!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 06:17

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Found some new sf candy in the bulk foods section of my grocery store. Was getting nuts and seeds for hubby and happened to see candy bars called something like "Truly Sugar Free" by Landies. They had chocolate raspberry, milk chocolate, hazelnut chocolate and several other flavors. I picked a few up for hubby when he feels like he needs something sweet and he shared a taste with me and they were absolutely delicious. The hazelnut one had 14 carbs, 1 fiber and 13 sugar alcohol (can't remember which one...but I think it was malitol) for an ECC of O net carbs.

L
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:58

Stats: 186/186/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

yes, recently over did the RS sugar free P nut butter cups, truffles and pecan carmel candies! tastes SOOO good! grumbly intestines and lots of gas, no diarrhea. but i ended up gaining 1.5 lbs!!! that and having three half ears of corn on the cob in 1 week. who am i kidding, its the candies and the equal sweetned soda that did it. i'm on OWL level and about 1/2 way there to my goal weight. had to lose 25-30 lbs total. started atkins 3/2/03. this is my first weight Gain, my first slip-up. BAH HUMBUG!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I over-did it this past easter weekend. Bought myself a box of s/f belgium chocolate sea-shells. OMG! I though I'd snack on them all weekend, but finished the box on day 1 instead! I felt sick the next day... but surprisingly enough, they didn't have that "laxitive" effect known to accompany Maltitol. Whew! Thank gawd for small favours! Good thing is, I made it through the long weekend without a cheat in sight!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:54

Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

i like to eat bakers unsweetend chocolate, butter, splenda and some crushed pork rinds, put it in the freezer so they form a "bar" and it is almost like eating a nestle crunch. So addicting.