Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:01

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Reading up on CAD

Hi all. Ive been doing atkins since Jan. I lost 13 lbs the first month then completely stalled and lost nothing till I did the meat fast a week ago and lost a couple more but am stuck again. Since Atkins doesnt seem to be working well Ive been reading up on CAD. After reading I have a question.

Concerning the reward meal. I love salad and always have a salad with dinner anyway... HOWEVER I hate almost all cooked vegetables. I just cannot eat them. its really not an option.

Is everyone on cad strict about that before dinner salad? I am wondering if its possilble to just have a great big salad as the vegetable portion of my reward meal and skip the pre dinner salad.

Also.. how strict are you all on getting exactly 1/3 of each thing and how do you come up with it... for example.. if I was going to order a pizza. .... does that mean I also need to cook up some meat also?

Oh sorry but one last question... what if I am not in the mood for something carby one day and just have a steak and salad for supper? does not getting the 1/3 carbs hurt my progress?

Im pretty scared to change. so much in this book seems so different and some in conflict then all Ijust learned and made religion from atkins.

any advide is appreciated sorry for all the questions. I found the book lacking answering alot of what seem like normal questions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:37

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I have to say I can't see a problem with eating an extra portion of salad as part of your RM veggie. It's getting the veggies, one way or another. I'm not religious about the salad befor the meal. It's usually with it, though I have on occasion missed it altogether.

I'm still working on balance. Clearly, if you get a chance to peek at my journal....I have my work cut out for me. Basically, I just keep it in the 60 and try to eat like a rational person with some sense....most of the time.

Pizza? Cheese is protein, crust and sauce are carb....order a salad and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure steak and salad are ok. Don't remember reading or hearing that the carbs were non-negotiable.

Now that I have totally confused the whole issue....here's the clencher. Almost all of us have a little different twist, because as the "old-timers" here will tell you (soon, I'm sure)...it's a matter of finding what works for you and getting comfortable with it. We're all a little different. My suggestion...jump in, read and learn, find your niche. You're gonna love it.

Welcome...
Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 20:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

What Deb said. Just steak and salad won't hurt. Did you take the test on the Heller's site? Find your own balance. If people who can't stand salad can have extra cooked veggies to replace it, I can't see why you can't have extra salad to replace the cooked veggies.

Good luck!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 05:10

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool Hi Jaden

Great to see you are becoming a CAD-ette I don't have much to add to what the others have said, but I wanted to welcome you on board.

I have definately had a hard time getting the RM balance down and to tell you the truth, I don't sweat it too much. I aim for it, but some days I overload on carbs at my RM. CAD is still working really well for me though. I must say though.. the 60 minute limit to the RM is non-negotiable, same as the concept of not having any snacks (unless you are doing the plan where you have one CS a day). Feel free to peruse my journal too, if you like, to get an idea of where I am at.

Good luck and feel free to post all your questions and concerns
Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:02

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

hey vel

Im not a CAD-ette yet still doing atkins. Im... scared!!! every lb on atkins has been a struggle and Im so afraid of blowing it with this RM and gaining some back

Btw about snacks. I didnt see anything in the book about not being able to have snacks. actually if I remember right it said 2 meals and any snacks should be LC.

Sheila did mention I "got the wrong book" the newest one.

Do you all have an opinion of which book is more accurate?

jaden
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You are only allowed a total of 2 low carb meals, 1 low carb snack and a reward meal on CAD/CALP. There are no other snacks allowed.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 19:01

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Depending on what version of the CAD plan you follow, you may not be able to have a snack. What is important to realize though is that your desire to snack will diminish greatly. I have not had a snack in 8 weeks and honestly do not miss it. This from the popcorn queen!