Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/205/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default skeptical co worker

During my 2nd wk. of Induction, I mentioned to my boss (a cardiologist) that I was doing Atkins. The RN popped up and said it's hard on your kidneys. Poor misinformed medical professional. I found the section in Dr. Atkin's book where he addresses the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis and taped it to the wall. I told the boss it is ketosis (fat burning) not the other end of the spectrum. He said he thought it was okay for a few months to be on ketosis. But the RN is pig headed and not at all convinced. We have snacks in our office and since I began the life changing Atkins have not been tempted to munch on the HIGH carb snacks. The nurse, on the other hand, eats her lunch around 11:30 usually in the staff lounge. She snacks all afternoon and has food stashed in her desk. She is overweight and one of our blunt patients told her she was as big as an elephant. I think he is exagerating somewhat but she could stand to lose as much weight as I have as goal. I just wish she could try the Induction and feel the freedom from being on the slippery slope of eating cookie, then chips, then cookie, then chips. I had been that bad before Atkins. I hear her on the phone to our patients when their cholesterol is elevated following lipid profiles and she tells them eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and get exercise. Well she's partly right.....about the exercise at least. Most of our patients think a potato is a vegetable . Oh well. I wish more folks would just try the diet if nothing else, just for the feeling better aspect.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

That is so hard to have to work with. When I was first starting LC last year, I worked with a girl who was also a personal trainer as a side job. When I said something about doing LC she went on and on and on about how I was going to hurt myself and blah blah blah. I didn't know any better at the time, because I had read the book, but I didn't know anyone else who was also doing LC. I'm sure that's why I probably quit then. I wasn't able to stay on this WOE until I found this forum. It also helps that the some of the girls I work with now have either tried LC or are doing some form of it - or else they don't have any judgement on what I'm doing, which is great!

To be more on topic of your post, I really can't stand hypocrites like the woman you work with. How can she tell those people what to do for their health when she's scarfing down the entire vending machine menu? And then, from what you say, she's also one of those people who yaps like a know-it-all on something she knows nothing about. Those are really pet peeves of mine. Really irks me *stepping off soapbox now*

Well, you just stay true to you and what you know is the right thing for you to do. Stay here with this forum, and you'll be doin great!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:09
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

So let me get this straight. The cardiologist says it is OK and the nurse does not? Hmmmmm, let me see......who do I believe?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 20:52
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

My coworkers stare at me every lunch, wondering what meat and cheese or salad concoction I have. Sometimes it is annoying. However, they have literally watched me melt 30 lbs away. I have had several people in my office notice and it feels good, even if I get the odd stares.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:52

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Just tell the RN you traded your old crack smoking habit for this new LCing habit. Maybe that will shut her up.

Amy Mc
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Amy, you just made me laugh so hard water came out my nose!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:24
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wow, I feel so lucky! About 1/2 of my coworkers are on some form of LC diet, so it's no biggie when I roll up a piece of beef and cheese for a snack! In fact, it's kind of nice because the snack table usually has a LC option.

Hang in there. The ultimate revenge will be your healthier self!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 19:06

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Well, you know what they say...the best way to show her is by example. When she sees how well you are doing, it may encourage her to try it. That's what happened with my hubby His induction will be over Tuesday I swear I could tell today that he had lost!!! He doesn't weight, so no help there, but in his clothes, I could already see it.

L (who has one boss that does Atkins whenever he feels like it and one who always has a can of Slimfast in the fridge).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 19:44

Stats: 200/176/155 Female 68 inces
BF:not sure
Progress: 53%
Talking

I get the same things from my co-workers.
They are all telling me it isn't healthy, and I just sit back and watch all the high fat & high calorie foods that they are shoving in their mouths. A lot of them are a lot heavier than I am.
The best part of all this is going to be a few months down the road when I am wearing shorts and looking real good....

Lori