Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/180/158
BF:
Progress: 48%
Smile designer protien bars

I have purchased some designer protien whey bars, as I am desperate for a sweet fix... I got them from the picture of health website, and thy sat they are perfect for those on the ketogenic diet- here is the supplemnet facts
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Bar (70g)
Servings Per Container: 12

AmountPer Serving % DailyValue*

Total Calories 260
Calories From Fat 60

Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%

Cholesterol <5mg 0%

Sodium 150mg 6%

Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 1g

Protein 30g 60%

Unaccounted Calories 65 calories

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein and Whey Protein Isolate), Glycerine, Yoghurt Coating (Polydextrose, Fractioned Palm Kernel Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk Solids, Yoghurt Powder, Soya Lecithin, Salt, Sucralose and Natural Flavours), Water, Maltitol, Rice Flour, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Citric Acid, Zinmag-6 (Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Aspartate, Pyridoxine, Zinc Monomethionine), Potassium Sorbate, Sucralose.

Do you think it would be ok to have one of these occassionally???? I'm dying to have one.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:42
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Donna,

I'm sure it would be okay to have one from time to time. Just be a bit wary of the maltitol. It's a sugar alcohol, and they can cause stalls in some people. They can also have a nasty laxative effect. The only way to find out whether or not they'll affect you is to try 'em.

For more info on sugar alcohols, have a look at Doreen's excellent article in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers, matey.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 00:38
Registered Member

Plan: Lofatcity (Picture of Health) Atkins type
Stats: 96/92.4/64
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi,

I've had them - and they have caused no problems for me.

Hope you can enjoy them also. I suppose all things in moderation is something we can aim for.

ozgal
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 01:16

Stats: 235/227/198
BF:28%/26.5%/20%
Progress: 22%

Where did you get it from? And how much are they?
I wonder if I can get some in Perth!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 15:35

BF:

hi, I got them online from www.sizematters.com.au they have heaps of lo carb stuff!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 18:44

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 89/84/68
BF:40% 40% 20%
Progress: 24%
Default Thanks Donna

Hi Donna,

I have just started a low carb diet. It doesn't seem to be as harsh as the Atkins. I am allowed berries and nuts even in the beginning. Lucky me. As long as it still works. My keto sticks show that I am burning up. I am allways pink or purple which is good. Thanks you for introducing me to the sizematters web site. I felt a bit left out of it by not being able to access any of the Atkins products. But now I see that Aussies can get a few things too. Have you tried any of the Designer Gournet protien bars? They are on special at the moment for $39.95 for 15. This sounds pretty cheap, I wonder if it's because they are yuck?

anyway thanks for the advice
Nadia
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 02:06

BF:

hiya Nadia,
Yes I ordered a box.. they do have a bit of a funny smell, but otherwise quite edible- I usually have one after some exercise...so what protien diet are you on?? I do find the induction of atkins a bit harsh....need a bit of a change...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 02:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Induction is a bit harsh but its only for 2 weeks and trust me once you get past those first couple of days - you feel like you can do anything!!!!!

I can't say anything about those protein bars - personally I avoid them for a number of reasons, but if you want the sweet fix and can handle sugar alcohols - go for the Darryl Lea chocolates, or my personal favourite Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate - about 3g carbs per square and pure indulgance - and better than anything it is not a frankenfood and has no sugaralcohols...

Just my opinion

Fiona
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 04:14

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 89/84/68
BF:40% 40% 20%
Progress: 24%
Default Hi Donna

Hi Donna

I am on a diet that my naturpath put me on. It's called the ketogenics diet. It is pretty much exactly the same as OWL of Atkins. I wish that I knew about all of this stuff before he put me on it because I probably would have done the 2 week intro. I do feel heaps better than I did before but have had a disappointing last two days. I have been having very low carbs and my keto sticks are much lighter than ususal. I wonder if my metabolism is slowing down or I am having something that I shouldn't. It has made me a bit cranky. Especially since I went to the gym. Anyway I hope I'm still losing. Good luck with your low carbing, I've been a bit tempted to stray lately but have kept in check with my strawberries and cream. YUM

See ya
Nadia