Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default How Much Weight Should I Gain When Starting Exercise?

I have been LCing for almost nine months now and am guilty of not exercising. I have been happy with my weight loss to date, but I know if I started working out (cardio & light weights) regularly, the last 4.5 lbs. will go quickly. I have not made any dietary changes. My TOM is coming in 2 weeks, so it’s not that. So, I started working out Sunday and my weight has been steadily increasing each day, to the tune of 3 lbs. But I know not to FREAK out because I am gaining muscle mass. But therein lies my question. I read somewhere on here that muscle volume weighs twice the amount of fat volume. So how much should I expect to gain? I don't have anything to judge it against since I've not really exercised while losing the first 21 lbs. I am sore all over, I am discovering muscles that I never had.

I just figured I am so close to goal that now is the time to focus on continuing to eat healthy and to make sure I get some exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 07:14

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't know the answer but suggest trying general exercise forum. I do know, however, that when you strart to do strength training your body will hold on to water (your muscles do actually) so that could account for some gain. Maybe you could go by your measurements more than the scale?? Hope somebody else can answer your question, specifically!

N.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 07:50

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

My trainer once told me that the average woman, anyway, doesn't tend to put on more than 2-3 lbs. of muscle when lifting weights over four months - though that translates into lots of muscle. I had the same question for him when I had a weight gain, and he said that it was water - which it was. Not TOM water, but water that your body needs to repair muscles. Don't worry!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

paradise, I consistently gain 3-4 lbs of water every time I step up my exercise routine, and hang on to it for about two weeks. I gained it when I started lifting weights, then again when I added in cardio, then again when I upped my weights, and I'm sure I'll gain it yet again now that I'm starting Body for Life. Like orzabelle said, it's just the effect of stressing your muscles. If you're working to the point of being sore, it's breaking down muscle fibers, which need additional water to repair themselves.

If you're not already doing so, take your measurements -- exercise really does make a difference there, and it's a big mental boost to see that you're still getting smaller even if the Devil Box disagrees .
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 09:02

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

The Devil Box - ha ha - never heard that before.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 17:40

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I gained almost 10 lbs on Tuesday morning after intensely exercising on Monday. It seemed I could drink, drink, drink, and drink some more water and not have to use the bathroom much
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default but what a trade off...

since the muscles increase your metabolism - you'll come out ahead in the long run!

Jan
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 05:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Mini-Whoosh?

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. This morning, I got on the scale and 2.5 lbs. of the 3 lbs. of exercise "water" was gone. Does this qualify as a mini-whoosh? I took a break yesterday, my muscles are no longer sore. Time to hit the weights again.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am a semi weight lifter

When i weight lift 4 times a week I tend to see my weight go up 5-7lbs while when I rest I lose 2-3lbs

I mean look at it this way.. I basically eat the same thing everyday for 4 months and see a steady weight loss but then boom I hit the weights for 2 weeks and all of a sudden gain 5-7lbs... Me being conscious I think I'm gaining weight.

But logic tells me I'm gaining lean mass.
Which will help in the long rong.

Just have to stick with the mentality that not all weight gain is bad as long as you are regularly exercising then you need not to worry.

wes
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 07:02

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Exclamation

I gained 2 lbs but lost many inches. Actually have been stuck at 158 for a while (was down to 156). I love the fact the inches are sliding off but I wish I could the scale go down as well
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is so reassuring! I too started exercising last week and I have seen a 2.5 lb weight gain. Now I know it's not all in my head, it's all in my muscles!