Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy So so sick of the same old same old

Hi.

I am sick of anything legal to eat.

I live in New Mexico, and needless to say, New Mexican fare is VERY popular. It's not carb friendly. Nope. Not at all. Tortillas. Rice. Beans. Almost every sauce has flour in it. Sopapillas. The list goes on. Fajitas are not New Mexican- or Mexican for that matter. Not an option.

My MIL is in town, and really wanted an authentic dinner. I felt like such a idiot trying to find something to eat on the New Mexican menu. It turned out to be a salad. I am soooo sick of salad-

I've been busting my head trying to figure out somewhere to go tomorrow night- and I keep coming up with the same old choices- a hamburger pattie or chicken breast, steak, or the dreaded salad.

I am sooo sick of the same stuff all the time. Believe me, I try to mix it up- I know all the spice tricks and then some.

I am sick of being with people who really can eat whatever they want to and not worry about it. I am sick of being the person who has to be worked around.

I am sick of feeling restricted, and restricting-------HELP!

Last edited by slack32 : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 22:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/156/125
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default hang in there

Hi Slack,
I know how you feel. I live in texas. Surrounded by queso, tortillas, etc. I am pretty sick of salads too. I made a nice stir fry tonight. You may want to look in the recipe section for some inspiration. Hang in there you are doing so great!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 23:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey, Slack!

My husband is from new Mexico! We lived there for about 4 years after we first got married (Roswell, Farmington, Albuquerque, and Rio Rancho). Anyway, I used to say that the only thing green in their refrigerators besides green chilis was mold on the cheese! Of course, I grew up in the South. We never ate pinto beans (blackeyed peas, lima beans, butter beans, and zipper peas, of course, but never pinto beans). And I had never even heard of a green chili.

If your MIL is only in town once in a while, go ahead and cook her a special authentic meal and just make something else for yourself. The same goes for taking her to a restaurant. I think a good one was Beinvenidos. Great food! You could probably order high or low carb meals there.

As for the same ole, same ole...just try to broaden your horizons. Check out some cookbooks from your local library. Browse the recipe section of this forum.

For a change of pace, try throwing some pork loin chops in the crock pot. Add seasoned salt, garlic and chopped green chilis. Add just enough water to stew them until nice and tender. YUM!

Don't forget how good a pot roast is too. Throw one of those in your crockpot as well. Most people can eat pot roast once a week and never get tired of it. If you stay home all day, cook the roast in a cast iron skillet on low with a teenie weenie bit of water a-l-l d-a-y l-o-n-g. Just put the fat side up so the juices will run down and baste the roast as it cooks.

One of my husband's favorite meals is pork roast. Put it in a roasting pan with a lid or cover it with foil. Add just a little water in the bottom. Rub the roast all over with olive oil and then cover it with seasoned salt. (Don't buy a shoulder section that is covered all over with skin. It's too tough to eat, and you will have to go through the trouble of cutting the skin off. Plus you pay for that extra weight). Cut up a head of cabbage about 30-40 minutes before the roast is done. Throw it all around the roast and spoon the drippings all over it to grease it up real good . Cover it again and cook until the cabbage is as tender as you like. Sometimes I also throw in a few carrots and a chopped onion, but these are higher in carbs.

I make chicken soup by boiling a chicken, picking it off the bone, straining the broth through cheesecloth (to get the fat chunks and blood froth out),returning the chicken to the pot with finely chopped celery, and adding all the salt I want.

It didn't seem that you listed many vegetables in your post other than salads. If that's all you're eating for veggies, I can see how you would quickly grow weary of them. Lettuce is pretty tasteless.

Try cooking asparagus, zucchini, or squash in a frying pan with butter. Stir fry I guess you could call it. Make sure you choose small, tender ones. The large ones are often tough and bitter. Snap the woody bottoms off the asparagus.
If you cook green beans, buy them fresh and snap them yourself. Frozen ones are soggy, and canned ones are just plain nasty! Boil them in water and add a tablespoon or two of safflower or sunflower oil to improve the taste.

Have I gone on too long?

Amy Mc
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default mmm love mexican food

ok, i love mexican and make it like every week or 2:

tortilla-less:
fahitas: mm yummy steak or chickin with herbs and peppers and onions topped with (legal on induction) sour cream and guacamoli and olives

shell-less tacos:
you know the drill, lettuce, tomatoes...taco salad

shall i say more?
and the good thing is i don't have to cook a separate meal for my boyfriend, I just give him all the tortillas!

mm. just thought of somthing new: like a fish fahita....

better get cooking!
nix