Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Resisting the urge for new pants

How do you all do it? I am at a point right now where I absolutely hate most of my pants, just because they look too baggy. I have a couple that fit well, but I can't where those two pants all the time. So I end up wearing the big ones, and I feel like a slob. Not because I look bad, but because I like to show off my weight loss - yes, I know, very vain!

I want to go out and buy some new ones, but I know it's such a waste of money since I plan to lose more.

What's your solution? Wear out the comfortable ones 'til they're done, splurge on new ones, or suck it up and wear the baggy ones?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 18:11

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Cool maybe the Goodwill???

I admired a girl at work for her outfit and complimented her with what a beautiful sweater , is that hand-knit? She replied yep, from the Goodwill - $3.00. Besides you won't be wearing them all that long.... before you'll trade them in for a smaller size.

just a thought,

Jan
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 18:26
Registered Member

Stats: 166/148/140
BF:
Progress: 69%
Talking Clearance Racks

Check the clearance racks when they have an additional percentage off. I'm in the same boat with my pants. I went to Belk and was browsing a "Take an additional 75% off!" rack for sweaters. I found a pair of size 10 pants, originally 34.99 and I got them for 5.99. The boost to my size 12/14 self-esteem was well worth it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 18:45

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

I agree that the goodwill is a good place to shop for in between clothes, especially work clothes. I'm sure it's different for women, but they usually have quite a good selection of dress shirts and pants.

My pants really started getting baggy after I shed about 20lbs. I don't mind when my jeans sag a little bit when I'm wearing casual clothes. But at work I'm supposed to dress business casual, so I didn't exactly want to have my slacks sagging down like Eminem while working :-)

I've got quite a bit of things there, and if you shop on certain days when everything thing is 50%, like holidays and sundays, it can be very cheap.

Plus you can find alot of older looking clothes so you can have that trendy retro look that everyone seems to like so much these days
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default i decided to wait

i've decided to wait for a while-though good fitting clothes can do a world of good for my mental state.

trying to hang in there as all the nice spring fashions are hitting the stores..

actually, if i just wait like 5 more kilos some old (but still nice and well loved) clothes will fit again!

nix
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:18

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Thumbs up

I agree...thrift shops/resale shops are the way to go for those inbetween sizes. I bought a pair of jeans at a resale shop a couple of weeks ago and I feel soooooo good in them! I'm going to slowly start getting rid of my bigger clothes that way. One pair in, one pair out. That way I won't have those fat clothes cluttering up my closet and enabling me to gain the weight again!

Tricia
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 09:41

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you can afford, replace those old baggy things. The thrift shop is a great idea, shopping at sales is always a great idea. But don't wear stuff that makes you feel like a slob. We want to feel better about ourselves now! We've lost weight, we have terrific skin from all that water, and nice muscle tone from all the exercise. You deserve to look good. It really doesn't have to cost a lot of $$$.

Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 10:11

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I consider myself lucky I have pants/shrts/skirts ranging in size from 14 to 8. I kept my better clothes when I started gaining weight, in hope that I would go back to wearing them one day
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 10:17

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:

Yep, you guys are right. I should definitely shop the Goodwill store. My neighbor, who is a yard sale junkie, also suggested I tag along with her on Saturdays. Of course, you can't exactly try those clothes on, so I don't think that'll be in my future.

Actually, there is one other place that I thought of, Suzie's Deals. It's a chain discount store out here in Cali, and everything they sell is $5 or less. Maybe I'll cruise on over there this weekend.

Nix: I know what you mean, I can't help but go and look at all the new Spring clothes, but I'd hate to waste money on something I'll only wear for a little while.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 10:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I also have some of my size 12 jeans left. I've been wearing those and getting rid of the size 16s and 14s I've been wearing. I *had* to replace a pair of size 14 capris because they looked REALLY awful. I bought a size 12 and they are very nice. I do basically all of my clothes shopping at Target/Wal-Mart, so it's not that expensive - especially at the rarity that I buy clothes. And it made me feel good to be able to get something in that size - like a reward
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 11:39

Stats: 162/144/127
BF:
Progress: 51%

I go back and forth between refusing to buy anything until I reach my ultimate goal and wanting to reward myself for my progress. The other day, I tried on some capris 2 sizes smaller than I wore last summer. Guess what? Too big! I grabbed the next smaller size and swore that - no matter what they cost, I was buying them! It was the first time I have been in a size 6 since FOREVER!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 11:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Gathered in the back

I kept gathering my pants in the back and it got to a point that it was ridiculous. My work requirements are casual so I broke down and bought some more dockers. The killer was I just had bought new dockers with 38 waist and then unexpectedly went on this diet a few days later. 3 months later and I got 34 waist. Donated my old pants to Good Will!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:12
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You're a size 6 at 144 pounds? Or have you not updated your weight recently? That is too weird!

I only weigh a couple of pounds more than that, AND I'm almost 6 feet tall, and I wear a size 12!

Granted, sizes differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, but even when I was UNDERWEIGHT I never got below a size 9...

(so where is it you shop, again? )
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:19

Plan: Atkins - OWL
Stats: 295/230/220 Male 79 Inches
BF:??
Progress: 87%
Talking Whooshed past my old size

I know what you are all talking about.
I had just bought two pair of size 44 jeans, black and regular blue; plus two new XXL shirts and then started Atkins.
I bought the clothes after Thanksgiving, and started Atkins on January 2.
Needless to say that the two new pair of jeans are on consignment, along with two pair of carpenter shorts, and two pair of dockers dressy shorts.
The funny part is that I thought I could fit into my size 42 dress pants and I'd be ok for a while, but I passed that size rather quickly. Now, I have really old size 38 jeans that I wear, and no dress pants to speak of.
I did get new shorts though, out of necessity. One pair of 40, and one pair of *yeah!* 38.

Incidentally, I have lost 32.5 pounds since January 2, with a couple of stalls, but my inches keep decreasing.

John
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:22

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

I say get yourself a nice pair of new pants in your new size, because, even if they end up being baggy later on, they can just be your new 'baggy pants' - you deserve the lift of a new pair!

And to Katana - the Gap is a great place to go to get a vanity size! I could fit into a six there when I weight 140 lbs, and I'm only 5'8. Usually, at 134, as a non-Gap shopper, I'm stuck in an eight... Sizes have changed so much recently, it's hard to know what a six or an eight or a ten is anymore!