Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%
Default beef jerky

I noticed beef jerky in the stores have 2-5 carbs per sereving. If I made it my self with werchestshire sause and salt and pepper and liquid smoke and deyhrate it myself, it shouldn't contain any carbs am I correct.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:48
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I guess you would have to count the carbs in the worchsetershire
sauce and if the liquid smoke has any it would be probably still be better than the store stuff - most of that has sugar in it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:10

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I make jerky with soy sauce, worch sauce, lemon pepper and garlic powder. I lay the strips out in my oven and turn the heat on really low. It is delicious! Everyone I make it for says I should start my own jerky business. It kind of messes up your oven - have to make sure you wipe it out really well after, but other than the high sodium - I wouldn't even bother with the carbs from the worch sauce. It would only be a very small fraction of a gram of carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:23
Stepford Malfunction

chocy???

What kind of beef do you use and how thinly do you slice it - I would like to try it and I don't care about the oven there's a little guy lives inside it and when I push a button he cleans it for me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

I'd love to try this myself... Yeah, what kind/cut of meat did you use? And what exactly did you mean about it messing up your oven? Unfortunately I have an old gas oven, and I have um, no clue how to clean it!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:57
Stepford Malfunction

DarkRose

That is so funny - when I was single and lived in apartments my freinds used to say I moved when my oven got too dirty - I was notorius for notcleaning the oven. When we bought this house and I had to choose appliances my main requests were - self-cleaning oven and frost free refigerator.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:21

Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I usually use top round or london broil, just recently I was short on time and tried the thin cut round steaks and it worked well. They are already about the right thickness, you just marinate them and lay them on the racks, no slicing involved! But, you can get a top round or london broil and just slice it about 1/8'' against the grain.

The marinade is mostly soy sauce. The amounts sort of depend on how much meat you have, but say maybe a cup of soy sauce and a couple tablespoons worch sauce. Then quite a bit of lemon pepper - maybe a tablespoon? And a little garlic powder, a half teaspoon or less.

Let the meat marinate at least 5 or 10 minutes. If you let it go too long it will get very salty. Mix it around a few times. Then, I use the cakes like you use to cool cakes or cookies. I place them directly on the oven racks and then lay the meat in a single layer on those. I put foil on the bottom of the oven for the first 15 mins or so, until the meat stops dripping. Then I pull the foil out.

You really want your oven set about as low as it will go. I don't have a thermometer, but it is so low you can pull the racks out with your bare hands - but if you hold on for more than a few seconds it gets a little too warm. I have gotten to where I can just sort of stick my hand in the oven and wave it around and tell if it is the right temp.

It takes a long time to dry out - 3 or 4 hours, at least. Just keep checking it and you can tell by look and touch if it is done. Watch the edges and you can see how they change. You want the whole thing to look like that. You don't want any of that grey color left, but you don't want it to go too long, or it will get hard and crunchy.

I have given out this recipe many times, but I have never known anyone else to try. Let me know if you try it and if my directions were good. This is one of those things that my grandma made and she taught my mom and my mom taught me, so I have no idea if I am telling people how to do it right.

Good luck! You will know you did it right if the meat is not too tough, a little soft and chewy and you can't stop eating it because it is so good
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:37

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I make it about like Chocy. Soy sauce, worcestershire, a little garlic and a dash or two of cayenne pepper, Marinate overnight and dry it in my handy-dandy food dehydrator. I usually use eye of round but top is good, too. Anything as long as it's not fatty. Has to be very lean.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:51
Stepford Malfunction

Wow thanks Chocy and Barb

I'm itchin to try it- my little oven mans havin a tantrum tho.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:11

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

you might want to do a search of the recipe section for beef jerky. There are lots of different recipes and methods, with feedback on how they work!

N.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Haven't made jerky in a while; I must dig out my dehydrator!

Just a note though ... soy sauce and worcestershire are NOT carb free. And my experience has been that most of the marinade does absorb into the meat slices. All that gets removed in the drying process is water .. so the carbs stay behind.

According to Fitday, one cup of soy sauce is 20.07g carbs/ 2.04g fiber. 2 Tbsp worcestershire is 2.84g.

Definitely home-made jerky is lower carbs than most store-bought stuff, but still a good idea to count a gram of carb per ounce of finished product.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 08:22

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

funny that this thread showed up. i was looking for jerky recipes saturday. i ended up using soy, wors, and carribean jerk seasonings. dried in the dehydrater. came out great!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Default Another Way to Make Jerky

If you have access to a meat slicer you can make your jerky with ground beef.
We mix the spices in the ground beef, line a baking pan with plastic wrap, press the meat into it and put it in the freezer until it freezes solid. Lift it out with the plastic wrap and put it on the meat slicer and slice it thin. Then use the over or dehydrator to dry it. It dries in less time also.

It's really good and easier to chew!