Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Breakfast turns my appitite on....

I know we are supposed to be eating breakfast, and I am, but I was never much of a breakfast eater.... I'm just NOT hungry in the morning! Now I make myself eat it, and it seems like I'm hungry a lot more than when I didn't eat it. If I do skip it and eat closer to lunch time, I eat less during the day. It's like it turns on my appitite or something. So do I really need to eat it?
O'suz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 21:59

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

It dosen't "turn your appetite on" It turns your metabolism on which is what you want! You should be eating every couple of hours, 5-6 small meals during the day instead of only lunch and dinner.. That also keeps your metabolism fired up. You don't have to eat a whole, big meal for breakfast. Even just a small salad, or a few ounces of meat would be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 10:45

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I'd suggest you include some fats with your breakfast. Some olive oil on a salad or some fatty ham willsatisfy your appetite and you won't feel hungry for hours.

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 11:31

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Default I hear you..

Osuzana,

I never ate breakfast before starting LC. If I did, I was starving and stuffing myself the rest of the day. Since starting LC, I have 2 eggs, cooked in a little butter, and three slices of bacon almost every morning. The high fat, high protein mix shuts down my appetite easily until lunch. You don't have to eat bacon and eggs, just try to eat a high protein, high fat breakfast and that should do the trick.

It does take some getting used to when you're not a breakfast person as I never was before. I have my coffee with heavy cream, which is an appetite suppresant (caffeine), and then don't eat breakfast until about 1 or 2 hours later. Admittedly I get up very early.

Good luck and keep trying until you find the right combination,

Jones
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:39
Registered Member

Thank you all for the input,
This morning I did add some fat to my breakfast, and I had it at 9:30 am. I went untill 1:25 pm before I realized It was lunch time. So I'm having celery stuffed with Tuna salad as I type this. I was having 2 or 3 poached eggs for breakfast and left over meats from the night before. Really no fats in there at all. This morning I made an eggwhite omlette with fresh italian sausage added and also some cheddar cheese, mushrooms, and a little green pepper. I topped that with some of my outrageously good homemade salsa! It was very good and I was very full! And I will eat my breakfast from now on!!!
Osuz
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 03:06

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%

Why egg white? Unless you have a sensitivity to something in egg yolks there's no reason why you shouldn't eat the yolks too.
Robert
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 03:49

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:

Outrageously good salsa? Will you share with us?? Pleaaaase?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:38

BF:

I used to have the same problem before I started LC'ing.. the days I did eat breakfast, it seemed that I continued eating all day long. I'm sure that's partly why I got into "non-breakfast mode" originally.. However, now I find that if I have an LC breakfast, usually a low carb muffin or eggs in some fashion, it doesn't happen any more! Perhaps it's the fat and protein? I donno.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:51

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Actually, there is some truth to the "not hungry if I don't eat breakfast" theory - but that is not a good thing. And here's why: your body has gone into semi-starvation mode at that point, meaning that your metabolism has been slowed down too. I think that sucks.

At any rate, eating your breakfast does indead turn on your metabolism!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:42
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Unhappy Torn on Breakfast

I'm a bit torn about the breakfast issue - in my former life I never ate breakfast - I normally did not eat till about 4:00 in the afternoon - but I was not overweight then either. On the day's I did eat breakfast I was hungry all day long.

Since I have been trying to follow all the rules I mostly have been eating breakfast - and I guess you get used to it because after a while the hungry all day long thing seems to calm down a bit.

The only reason I eat breakfast is because I have heard it turns the metabolism switch on. I have to disagree though with Misa - I have just read the Curves diet book and according to Gary Heavin - studies at some famous clinic or other (he knows the name it's just I forgot it) have proven that it takes the body 72 hours to go into starvation mode - so skipping breakfast is not going to send you into starvation mode according to him. I'm not trying to change anyones way's here just stating something I read - It has been making me wonder though whether eating breakfast is worthwhile considering it seems to be an appetite stimulant for some and it won't hurt to wait till later in the day why bother -
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 19:08
Registered Member

RCFlrtcher
The reason I dont eat the egg yolks when I make an omlette is because I dont like them in the omlette. It is kinda weird though because I LOVE them poached and a little soft!

jeanyyy....
Here is my really yummy Salsa recipe;

1 med. red onion chopped
1med clove garlic minced
1 or 2 jalepeno peppers chopped (including seeds) (to your taste)
1/2 small green pepper chopped (no seeds)
2 small cans (or 1 large can) Hunts petite diced tomatoes
juice of 1 large (juicy) lime (2 limes, if lime is small and dry)
bunch of fresh cilantro chopped (to your taste)
1/2 to 1 teasp. ground cumin (to your taste
1/2 to 1 teasp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Chop it all up and mix it together, and there ya go!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 20:50

BF:

Thanks, osuzana!!