Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/192.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:not a clue
Progress: 33%
Default Low Carb Oatmeal

YUCK!!!!!!

I just wasted $7.00 on a can of low carb oatmeal.
I was really looking forward to a nice warm little bowl,
It was horrible! Does anyone have any recipes or
suggestions?

(I wasn't sure if I am allowed to say the brand)

Thanks

onebzzymom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/156/125
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I agree

I tried the Flax-o-meal in butter pecan!!!! Yuck! Give Keto banana nut a try. It's not so horrible.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 00:54

Stats: 213/192.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:not a clue
Progress: 33%

the brand I tried was the Keto plain oatmeal.
Maybe I will try the banana nut, some flavoring to it might
help.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 03:37

Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Personally, I love the keto blueberry or strawberry with cream.
The lowcarb success cereals, butter pecan, vanilla almond, cinnamon, etc, are made with flax seed, which can take some getting used to. I put in a pack of splenda and some butter. I've actually learned to enjoy it, but must admit it took me a while.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:08

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

The Keto strawberries and cream isn't too bad if you put in a little cream and lots of butter. It isn't my favorite, but I"m starting to think you get used to the taste of things after a while.

I bought 8 cans of Atkins Chocolate Royale and the first can was awful and most of it went in the trash. I tried again and added some DaVinci's SF white chocolate syrup, a little cream and a little splenda in the blender and it was okay. Did this another time with a bit more cream and no syrup or splenda so it would get thicker more like a milkshake and this time it was really good. Then I put them in the freezer to let them get really, really cold with little bits of slushy ice in them and they were absolutely delicious with no help at all.

Anyway....that's my long winded way of saying the first Atkins shake I didn't like, but I have one left of the original eight and now I think they are delicious. Going to get some strawberry and vanilla this weekend

L
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:20

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I saw some negative reviews of the Keto hot cereal old-fashioned oatmeal flavor so I opted not to get it. Next time, before you try a product, browse the LC Products forum to see how others liked/disliked it. I saw decent reviews for the apple/cinnamon flavor, so I tried it. My non-LCing husband thinks it tastes like "some bizarre applesauce" but I kind of like it. To each his own. I also use twice as much water as the directions call for otherwise it would be a solid block. The reason I kind of like this stuff, is the fiber and protein content is high so I have NO cravings or any hunger before lunch. You can also doctor it up, as another poster mentioned, with Splenda, cream, or butter. Try some of the others flavors, don't let your bad experience with the old-fashioned oatmeal flavor color your future endeavors.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:43

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

I just have to say that I LOVE flax-o-meal!!! It is soooo good! I have mine with just a touch of splenda.
Of course, I should point out that I never liked any hot cereals before I started Lcing except for malt-o-meal (very grainy) and flax meal reminds me of that, thick and grainy. I love it!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:25
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I use the Keto Apple/Cinnamon and I love this stuff...can't get enough. I've not tried the other flavors yet. I also put twice as much water in mine, yummmmmy.

Gail
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:27
Registered Member

Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've tried them all, and actually like most of them. Currently I am making my own hot cereal:

.25 cup soy grits
2 tbl flaxseed meal
1 tsp almond flour
1 tsp unsweetened coconut
1 tbl vanilla soy protein isolate
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
splenda to taste
1.25 cups of water

Mix dry ingredients together first. Add vanilla and water. Mix well. Put in one-quart-size microwave safe bowl (smaller bowl will overflow). Nuke for 4 minutes. Can also be made in saucepan on the stove. Add cream to taste

Not everyone will like this, cause individual tastes vary. But I really love it. It has about 300 calories, 7 effective grams of carbs, and 14 grams of fiber. I make a bunch of servings at one time and keep them in zip lock bags, so I just have to add the liquid and throw in the microwave. Saves time in the morning.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%
Default My 2 cents

Just gotta say, I love the Keto plain oatmeal! I don't like stuff with fake fruit flavors, so I haven't tried the banana or strawberry. But for me, the plain is a real treat... Actually makes me feel like I'm cheating!!

Go figure - we're all different!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:40

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:?/20%/18%
Progress: 113%

In my cupboard there is Flax-o-meal butter peacan & cinnamon. The cinnamon is a shade less disgusting than the butter peacan. I would have to say I prefer..........................................EGGS!

OTOH, Flax-o-meal makes a TO DIE FOR granola!!!!! Honestly, It is the best flavour, texture..You name it..It is very expensive, but I have 1/3 of a cup for breakfast on occassion. Pour on a little whipping cream..Mmmmmmmmm..Cinnamon Nutrageous is the best!

Joy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%

Hey,

Is flaxo-meal something you can getin a regular grocery store, like in the oatmeals section? Or ya have to order it special?
I have seen many talking about it, but don't recall ever seeing it in the store =/
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:03

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:?/20%/18%
Progress: 113%

I found Flax-o-meal and other lowcarb products in only 1 store in my area..From what I understand, no one else brings them in..(I'm in canada, and most of these products come from USA)

Joy
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 13:42

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

toeie, you would probably have to go to a specialty low carb or nutrition store if there is one near you, or order online if you want flaxomeal or keto hot cereal, etc. They are not usually in the regular hot cereal section in a regular grocery store. Maybe someday...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 13:58

Stats: 235/195/150
BF:??????????
Progress: 47%
Default soy grits-------------------

What is this ? I got some soy kernels, are grits ground kernels???
I don't know what to do with the kernels either, but I was in a bigger store & saw lots of soy/LC items that aren't available in my area so I "power shopped"---can you tell I'm still kind of new????????? I think I am learning tho, slowly using recipes instead of the spendy "ready mades". Yesterday I made a LC ice cream recipe, what a great treat! My scale isn't moving so fast, but, my pants are sure getting baggy! I don't really worry about the scale anymore, UNLESS it started going the wrong way!
I truly think this WOL is do-able for me