Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 19:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/174/135
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default My face is breaking out?? Could it be the fat?

Okay I'm on day 3 of induction and my face is looking bumpy..I mean I'm breaking out in the chin areas and I'm wondering if this happened to anybody else with sensitive skin? I have had a low-fat diet forever and my body is definitely not used to high fat foods. I'm not too worried but I hope it doesn't last...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 19:53

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Same thing happened to me. I am now on week 3 and it seems to be getting better.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:24

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%
Default Me, too!

I'm half way through week 6 and my skin is trashed, raw, scaly patches all over. I've been trying everything I can think of to clear it up and haven't figured it out yet. I have such sensitive skin. I did read a thread here recently where several products were recommended. I've tried some of them to no avail.

My understanding is that with the weight loss, the fat cells release the estrogen they store and that increase in estrogen into the system is the cause of the breakouts. This is particularly true for those of us with sensitive skin.

If I find a solution, I'll post it.

Jones
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:07

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

THere are threads in here some where about this problem... and how maybe it is "toxins leaving your body"....??

My face actually cleared up on week 2 of induction....

But I cannot tell if it was that alone... that same week I started using Neutrogena Deep and Clear or Clean... every night... So I do not know which one was the answer...!

Keep up the good work!!

Take Care,
M-
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:24

Stats: 217/174/135
BF:27%
Progress: 52%

OH good I'm not alone! I started using phisohex tonight so I hope that helps. I can't really see any 'toxins' being released, it wasn't like I was living on drugs or crappy food. I really think it's the animal fat because I NEVER EVER have eaten animal fat. We'll just have to wait and see..thanks for the help!! Hey and we are all pretty close in weights and goal weights!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:00
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

happened to me, too. THOSE ARE TOXINS so be glad they are leaving your body LOL Passed after about 4 weeks so hang on. Drinking 3 liter of water/day helped and I used SOS formula from Clinique.
Good luck! You are doing great!
a

Last edited by Alina : Wed, Apr-02-03 at 23:30.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 23:41
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
the fat cells release the estrogen they store and that increase in estrogen into the system is the cause of the breakouts.

Yep, you're absolutely right, Jones.

It's not the fat you're eating, Lowcarbabe, it's your fat cells shrinking and releasing hormones.

Your skin will return to normal soon, as your body adjusts to low carbing. Meanwhile, try to look at eack li'l zit as a victory sign!

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:23

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I saw someone on another forum post about this problem. My skin actually is better than it was before I started. My pores seems smaller and my skin feels very soft and healthy where before it was rather dry.

L
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:44

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

For me, it took til about the 2nd month before I saw changes in my complextion, and they arent nice ones either
It's starting to look a little better, but for a week or so, my face was very red and blotchy, small white heads, dry patches.
My son is on Accutane, and he said to me one morning, I think you need some too Mom! Yuck

Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 19:39
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have noticed this too - lots of red bumps around my hairline. I feel like I'm 13 again! Hope it does go away after another couple weeks.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 265/258/165
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thank you for this thread. I was getting worried, with a face that looks like I am 14 again! Glad to hear it passes.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've been doing this for 18 months and in the last four months my face has broken out like you wouldn't believe! I've NEVER had acne in my life! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it...nothing works!

Gail