Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Question fat stomach?

most of my weight is in my stomach. Will this diet attack that area? I heard that this diet is very good for losing stomach weight. What else can I do to help my stomach weight to come off. I currently walk an hour a day. I have only been doing atkins for 4 days just looking for some pointers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 21:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Yes it will! Actually, Atkins states that carrying most of your weight gain in your stomach is a sign of insulin resistance.

Exercise of course helps. I really like weight training and doing ab work, because as the fat comes off, you can see nice muscle cuts. Plus, this helps reshape your body.

Walking an hour a day is wonderful-it will help rev up the metabolism and build muscle in the legs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 05:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 50/50/43
BF:
Progress: 0%

try hulla hooping.......
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:28

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Hi, there!

That is one of the #1 things I've noticed since I began LCing--my stomach has shrunk sooo much! It's wonderful. I've lost 6 inches off my waist in 2 1/2 months...

N.

ps-ab workouts will strengthen muscles-try crunches, pilates
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

While it's not possible to spot reduce (reduce fat in specific areas of your body by doing more exercises for that area) doing a certain type of cardio will better target abdominal fat. Cardiovascular exercise that is high in intensity and duration better reduces abdominal fat than moderate cardio will.

You can find information on high intensity (HIIT) cardio in the General exercise forum, or by using the "search" function on this forum.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 06:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I've lost almost 20 lbs. and hardly any seems to have come from my stomach area. This was the last area I gained in and maybe it just seems like I haven't lost there (haven't measured yet...so can't say for sure) according to how my clothes fit.

I guess it could be that I just had so much to lose from there that I haven't caught up with myself yet.

Anyway...good luck to you in losing yours

L
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 08:08

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have to agree with whyspers. My waistline is the last place I'm losing. On WW I lost first in my chest , and then in my stomach and face. But on Atkins, I lost first in the hips and butt. Next came the chest and face and lastly the waist.

I don't know if it has something to do with retaining muscle mass on Atkins or just because we're eating sufficient quantities so our stomach doesn't shrink.

Amy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 08:39

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Default Cast iron abs

Hi all,

Alas, I agree with Nat about spot reducing. You can do crunchs 'til your abs are solid as cast iron -- under a layer of fat.

It seems sort'a perverse. First on, last off. Or, a sort of Murphy's law: the first place you want to lose weight is the last place it will come off.

Ever notice how many men of a certain age, otherwise slender, have pot guts ? I can't believe how sloooowly the weight if coming off. But it is coming off. Folks, we will persist, and, someday . . .
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Stats: 223/193/185
BF:
Progress: 79%

Just keep on losing the weight. One day you'll get up and your pants will fall off. I have been at it for 3 months and I just went out today and bought 36 inch pants, down from 38.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%
Default You can sopt reduce!!

I've just got to say it..despite what all the exercise gurus say, I've been able to do it so I know it's possible.

Generally speaking we gain & lose in particular areas based on our body type. I'm a natural hourglass so I generall gain first & lose last in the lower abdominal region.

For many years I accepted that to get rid of my 'pouch' I just had to lose from every where else first (which leaves me skinny, with a big gut).

A few years back I discovered Bodyflex. PEOPLE, IT WORKS! I have no connection to the people who sell this system and they did not invent the exercises, but the principles work.

Combining deep breathing exercise with exercise that targets certain areas does seem to make the fat come off those areas faster. My first week of Bodyflexing, I lost 3" on my lower abs with no dietary change (my diet at the time was 90% fast food). I have never seen results like that with any other program.

Now whenever I want to whip the old abs into shape quickly I do about 3 weeks of BodyFlex (15 min per day, 3 - 5 days per week), improvement is evident within a week.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 14:47

Stats: 185.5/185.5/160 Female 66 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pooch
Just keep on losing the weight. One day you'll get up and your pants will fall off.

YIKES! Now that's a scary thought! The only downside to LC-ing: involuntary disrobing when rising from a seated position!

Sharon
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 01:42

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Have to say, I wasn't suggesting that spot reducing works when I suggested crunches/pilates. Just to firm up muscles, which might make her feel like she's doing SOMETHING about it while she loses all over.

I agree with first on, last off theory. I gain last on my face so I lose first on my face. My big butt will forever be pulling up the rear

N.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:25
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've been at this for 18 months and have lost approx. 5 inches on my waist...it seems to be the last thing to go. My legs and butt look great my stomach and upper arms are horrible. Does hula hooping really work?

Gail
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by gkeenan
Does hula hooping really work?
NO. But HIIT does (explained in post above).

Nat
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 19:33

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default fat stomach or bloating?

I carry most of my weight in my stomach too, but I found out that a lot of it was bloating due to a high carb diet. Although my stomach didn't magically dwindle down to a six-pack, it did shrink after starting Atkins.
Of course, I still have a large layer of fat across my belly to get rid of, but when I am bloated it looks twice as big.

On occasion when I "treat" myself to popcorn or a homemade chocolate chip cookie, I just wind up with a belly ache and lots of bloating the next morning.

If bloating is part of your problem, LCing might help!

Amy Mc