Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default How many are also counting calories?

Hi everyone-
Have not showed a loss in three weeks. I seem to be averaging
1450-1550 calories a day. Since 2/17 I have 23 days under 20 carbs, 14 days over 20 (up to a splurge of 90 gms one day). I am eating one-two ounces of cheese, one ounce of nuts and one advantage bar everyday. Maybe these could be the culprits. Am thinking of lowering my calories to 1250 per day. Is anyone else out there doing this? If so, how is the weight loss going?

This is a dynamite board-so glad I found it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:28
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

Yes, I am counting to make sure I don't get to little of them!

I average between 10-12 x my weight in calories. No weight loss in 3 weeks does not mean you're stalled. I had the same weight in 4 weeks but I was losing inches. Are you measuring???
Please, check my link on the documentary, it explains why we have to give out bodies enough food in order to lose weight.
Good luck!!!!
a

Last edited by Alina : Wed, Apr-02-03 at 10:33.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:50

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile

Pre regular exercise - I was counting (1200-1600)
Now that I exercise 4X a week - nope

The only thing I make sure is that I don't go way overboard (for me, over 2200 daily). I am still losing and feel great.

The only things I really keep track of is carbs - 30 max per day (if I can help it).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:59

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't count calories per se, nor am I overly meticulous over nutrient ratios of what I eat, but I do keep a written journal of everything I eat.

This is only for post analysis and to ensure my nutrient ratios appear balanced and my average carb intake isn't fluctuating too wildly along with ensuring my calories are consistent.

I differ with most on this issue. I try to create a 500/day calorie deficit until I reach goal weight, whether via food intake or excercise, ideally a combination of both (initially, I focused on creating a 500 deficit on food intake and another 500 on excercise, which worked fabulously for me--very brisk weight loss during this period). To that end, counting calories help, for me anyway.

Best of luck,

Frederick
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 11:17

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I would adjust the types of foods you're eating before lowering calories. Atkins bars would be first to go. If that doesn't help, watch the nut intake. My prob with nuts is the "going overboard" factor. An ounce of nuts is really not very many. The cheese probably isn't a problem in such small amounts.

No loss is three weeks is pretty typical, especially right after induction. Your body copes with that initial loss by hanging on tight. Also, you could be losing inches and not weight. Have you been measuring?

Hope that helps.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 11:28

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I stay at about 10x-12x my weight. Thats 1500-1800. Somedays I go as low as 1300-1400, but those days I usually stay alittle hungry, I'm just not in the mood to eat. But in general don't go to low in calories.

Lora
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Having read the responses to this, i'm now i little worried.

I only started atkins this week and, because it says 'liberal' amounts of meat and fat are allowed, i haven't paid any attention to calories so i just looked back over what i've eaten for the last couple of days and my calorie intake is about the same as it was before i went on the diet - although i'm still under 20 grams of carbs and i'm not eating more food than i should ('pleasantly' full after eating).

Am i going o have problems losing weight?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:59

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I sincerely doubt it, Fingerz! If anything, my caloric intake has increased and I feel like I have lost incredibly well. I'm very pleased with the weight loss I've experienced and am regularly about 1800-2200 a day...lots of fat!!!

Everyone I've talked to said they did not have to watch calories until they got down to the last 5 lbs or so. That being said...I wouldn't worry about it at all at this point.

L
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:42
Registered Member

Default calories

Gosh, thanks for the replies. I guess I'm okay on the calories and will just stick it out for a couple more weeks and see what happens. I am swimming 3-4 times a week, 1/2 mile each day, and rarely am hungry. My measurements haven't gone down since the initial whoosh-clothes seem about the same also. Might have to forego the advantage bar-but that's my "on the way home from work" treat and keeps me from being hungry at dinner.
Of course, the antidepressant I take could also be the reason I'm not showing weight loss-I hope to talk to my doctor about changing to a natural supplement instead.
You guys are the best-thank you!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:43
Registered Member

Default 10-12x weight

By the way-I don't remember reading in the Atkins book about the 10-12X weight in calories. Just to eat until satisfied. Anyone know where the 10-12x weight came from????
Thanks again.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:51

Stats: 179/171/135
BF:39%/37%/30%
Progress: 18%
Default 10x weight

I was actually researching this yesterday--it seems that most people believe that a good measure of the number of calories you need each day when you are trying to lose weight is 10x your body weight. I saw as high as 15x on one site.

Personally, I have done Atkins and Protein Power before, watched everything I put in my mouth and lost weight--but I soon drove myself crazy thinking about food--adding it up, thinking about what I couldn't have, etc. Next thing I new, I was off the proverbial wagon.

This time around, I am shooting for 500 calories per meal with no more than 10 g carbs per meal and a snack of 300 calories. About 1800 calories a day, 30 g carbs.

Melissa
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 14:29

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

A lot of people have calorie questions... I want to take a minute to remind you of the part of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution that discusses "The Metabolic Advantage."

Here is an article from the Atkins Center website that explains in more detail: Mastering the Metabolic Advantage

All calories are not created equal.

Hope that helps.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 14:33
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederick
I differ with most on this issue. I try to create a 500/day calorie deficit until I reach goal weight, whether via food intake or excercise, ideally a combination of both (initially, I focused on creating a 500 deficit on food intake and another 500 on excercise, which worked fabulously for me--very brisk weight loss during this period). To that end, counting calories help, for me anyway.

Frederick

Frederick are we to call this the Frederick Method - sounds like a great plan.

#14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:11
Registered Member

Default Metabolic advantage

To Skamito-
Thanks for the great link to the Atkins site on the metabolic advantage. It offers a study that was not in his book. Good Stuff!!! I will continue to eat as I am and wait two more weeks and see what happens.

Thanks Frederick-that gives me an alternative if my present WOE doesn't drop the weight.........

#15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:16
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

This thread is great. And up it goes....
NO LOWCALORIE - NO STARVATION - NO YOYO!!
Sorry, felt like screaming..LOL