Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 23:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Re: Advice Please: Day 7 and not a single pound lost!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Anshim
- Should I keep my calories at or below 2200? (~12 x my current weight)

That sounds good. I wouldn't worry about calories too much at the beginning. Ketosis is a process that doesn't depend on a caloric deficit. Crazy, I know.
Quote:
- What is the best fat vs protein ratio?

The generally recommended ratio is 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, and 5% carbs. I find my foods usually balance about like this on their own, especially with good use of dressing, oil, and butter.
Quote:
- Am I eating anything that has caused other people to stall?

Sorry, didn't check for a journal. Common stallers though are sugar alcohols, aspartame, and dairy.
Quote:
- I'm lactose intolerant, but to my surprise I haven't had any of the normal symptoms I get when I eat certain cheeses and definitely ricotta and cream. However, even if I don't show symptoms, could the dairy be creating a stall internally?

Interesting thought. It's quite possible. Do you take Lactaid or other enzymes to aid in digestion? Why are you eating cheese if you know you are lactose intolerant anyway, missy?
Quote:
- There were two days that I went over 20g carbs, according to FitDay. If I go over 20g, does it mean I officially "restart" induction?

Nah. I would only recommend restarting induction if you eat bad (high GI) carbs or other things not on the allowed foods list. If you went over with legal substances by a few grams, I wouldn't sweat it.
Quote:
- I'm tempted to wait another week, and if I don't lose anything significant, I'll get a bottle of Xenadrine that's gotten some good reviews on this website. From the threads, it seems Xenadrine might kick start my weight loss. Any strong opinions on this?

I'd definitely wait until the end of induction to judge your progress. You just may be slow getting into fat burning mode. Once you're there, you may just be a fat burning engine! I'm not that into things like Xenadrine, so I'm not the one to ask. I would be afraid they'd mess with my metabolism in the long run. That's just me, I know some use them with success.

Phew... hope that helps a bit. I'll check out your journal. Alina's questions are up there too. Water is a MUST, salt and TOM will make you retain water, and going from low fat may mean your body is soaking up all the protein it can get right now for the first time in your life! That is a good thing.... it just may take a while for it to register on the scale.

Best to you!