Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 06:16

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Chiming in! That egg drop soup with plain old chicken bouillon is my favorite comfort food in winter. Throw in a handful of pork rinds. After the snap, crackle, and pop, they turn all noodle-y. Very filling.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:53

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Chiming in! That egg drop soup with plain old chicken bouillon is my favorite comfort food in winter. Throw in a handful of pork rinds. After the snap, crackle, and pop, they turn all noodle-y. Very filling.

Barb! You have done flung a craving on me!

Also, supplementing Vitamin D3 (with K2) is a fantastic health booster.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 21:11

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

What are shiritaki noodles made of? I tried a LC noodle that required slot of rinsing with water. It was horrid. I'd love to find a noodle that works. I love soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I can't really comment on cold remedies. I just got over one, I think time is the only answer; you'll either get better or you wont I think keeping hydrated and salted down is a good idea - And as far a low carb soups go, I make variations of Pho with shirataki noodles and bone broth. I think the highest carb thing in the soup is the fresh bean sprouts. So if you start with bone broth, add some kind of meat, seasoning and shiritaki noodles you'll have some good soup.

Here's a few pictures of prepping it in sequence http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/keto113-140/PhakeFho

And what it looks like right before it goes down the eating hole...

#19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 22:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Yah, sorry slwloser, those pictured above are the "yucky" kind that you rinse out. these are made of konjac and water, mostly water. I have completely gotten use to the smell and texture of the noodles. They are NOT pasta so I treat them that way.

I occasionally use the House Brand shirataki/tofu noodles https://www.house-foods.com/tofu_shirataki_usa/ these have a texture more wheat or rice like but still have the konjac smell on opening. You might try these if you run across them. One package is 2 net carbs according to the label.

EDIT: i found a picture of using them in another soup. The picture is kind of gross but you'll see the noodles have a different look and color to them. They are not translucent like the 100 percent konjac ones are.

Last edited by thud123 : Sun, Jan-15-17 at 22:55.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 04:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 410/320/260 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi. I'm not going to bug you about the cheating time - I read your other thread. I'm a sports fan and I probably would have done the same at such an event. Few regrets. But something worth mentioning is that carb cheats can trash your immune system. I bet you wouldn't have gotten sick if you stayed somewhat LC. I haven't had a cold since 2011, and I work at a post-secondary institution in which not that many students are local. It's an absolute freaking germ factory. Every September/October, coworkers are sick left and right, when all the new students and traveling students bring their germs. I "should" be sick at least 3-5 times a year, like I was pre-LC, and I guess like the average person, but it just doesn't happen anymore.

I agree with the previous soup suggestions. There are lots of ways to have LC soup. We also have a ton of recipes in our Soups/Sauces/Apps forum. My favorite one for avoiding colds is Thai coconut curry. If my fiance is sick, or I feel that telltale ear ache/scratchy throat, coconut is one of my weapons to nip the bugs in the bud. I eat as much coconut oil as I can stand. It contains lauric acid, which has strong anti-viral/anti-bacterial properties.

Hope you're feeling 100% again soon.

Thanks. This did occur to me as well. i think they were probably related. This cold really came from nowhere and was really pronounced for 3 days or so but has since mostly subsided.

I think pausing the diet restarting it, the travel/drinking, and then the fact that going into the trip and upon my return I had been failing to get enough sleep probably triggered it. If there is any silver lining from this it's that I probably got a handful of nights of 10 hours of sleep when I was probably averaging 5 hours of sleep the 2-3 weeks before.

I did have another soup cheat but on both occasions I opted to skip the next meal of the day and basically do a 24 hours period of no meals (noon to noon the next day). Seems to have worked. Will look to be better prepared with low carb soup options the next time around.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 09:21
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Heated chicken bone broth! I crave the stuff when I'm sick! I also add a little cayenne pepper and garlic for a little kick (garlic is supposed to be good for the immune system, too).
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 11:05

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

And if anyone isn't supplementing Vitamin D3, they probably should. My immune system has definitely improved by taking it.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 12:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I bought those noodles once. Melted cheese over them in the microwave. Took the plate out a little too quickly, they slid off the plate and flew across the room. Sort of traumatic.