Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/205/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy splurged and gained

I was doing good. Hit a plateau. Got discouraged. Pigged out on chips and salsa for lunch with a chicken taco salad(didn't eat the shell) ,and then had cheese fries and a salad with honey mustard for dinner. I also snuck in one Easter peep and 2 low-fat oreos. Okay, here's the worst part. I showed a 5 pound gain this morning. Thats 1/2 of what I lost during induction! Can anyone tell me something that will make me feel better or give me some advice to get me back on the fastest track in the right direction? Thanks -steph
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 11:02

Stats: 230/???/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile

First a hug

Secondly, I understand. I've been there and back and there again. The good news is this, you proved the Atkins theory right. Carbs, even in some chips, sets up craving for more carbs. I guess you could consider it a lesson learned. I didn't really understand what he meant in the book about not having just one taste of high carb foods as its the kiss of death, till I done it myself. I personally, am carb addicted. So I don't even have low carb products that resemble high carb foods. (examples, low carb chips, breads, candy), cos it sets up craving in me anyway.

I just started back on this wol but I totally remember it all very well.

As far as getting back on track, I believe the best thing thing is to go back into induction, that will A. stop the cravings again B. put you back in ketosis

Glad to see you didn't just give up!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 11:11

Stats: 215/205/140
BF:
Default RE: Honeybare

Ok..Induction it is then. I am going to eliminate cheese this time. I read somewhere that this may help get somone off a plateau. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement!! They REALLY help. My husband just doesn't know how to motivate me as well as others who are going through it themselves. Keep up the good work yourself, OK!! Maybe I'll talk to ya later. _Steph
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL

I have done that so many times and the theory is true one never enough a thousand to many...Just jump right back in there and start again...and yes a lesson learned!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 17:42

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's good advice...pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back up on the LC wagon!
But when you say you hit a plateau, how long were you stuck? In my expereince, I can stay at the same weight for weeks without budging and then whoosh!

I think it's smart to question your program when you do plateau, but don't let it get you down. Stay the course, skip the fries and be patient. Have faith in the WOE and yourself. If you have to have snacks, make them LC. You'll be glad you did! I let lmyself think that every slip up erases a full good day's LCing. It helps keep me on course.

Good luck!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 17:51

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Put it behind you, and keep on going. You will get there, and we'll be cheering when you do!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 18:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Suddenly upping your carbs will make you retain a lot of water. My guess is that 3 or 4 of those 5 pounds are actually water weight that will disappear in a few days if you cut way back on the carbs.

We all have bad days; the important thing is to get right back on track again. Just tell yourself you are going to do it and then do it!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 19:49

Stats: 287/256/170
BF:
Progress: 26%

It happened to me too. I cheated while I was on vacation (Cancun) and I got back home with 7 lbs more. Finally, it ended up being water retention. I went back on induction and lost everything back the first week. It'll probably do the same for you!

It's behind you now et tomorrow is a new day!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 16:25

Plan: Atkins/south beach
Stats: 240/230/140 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Steph, I have lots of experience with splurging and gaining. I also found that after being compliant and being in ketosis a splurge might take 2 days to show up on the scale. Hopping on the scale aftera splurge and seeing no change I'm thinking wh'hoo "I got away with that" only to find the next am to pay the price........that's even if you're compliant the day after the splurge.
Know that you WILL pay the price.
I also found that after staring on Atkins too many times that I want to admit it's harder to get into ketosis. I'm not sure why but it holds true for me.
Get back in there and give it hell.
I'm going to try and do the same.