Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:48

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%
Default Phenominal Success.., but

I cannot believe how fast I am dropping pounds, (15 pounds in just 3 weeks) I couldn't be happier with my results thus far...however, my legs ache really bad, and the back of my right thigh has a knotted muscle, they ache while i'm sitting or laying, and boy are they stiff when I stand up, i feel like the lower half of my body belongs to a 70 year old....my legs do tend to cramp up, the calf muscles, so I upped my potassium intake, I take magnesium, and a multi-vitamin, and this does help prevent them, though sometimes it feels like they are on the verge of cramping....

Anyone have any suggestions, or thoughts

Thanks

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you working out? I get them once in a while, but it's much more likely to happen the night after a good leg workout. It's also likely to happen if/when I drink alcohol - so dehydration probably doesn't help. Are you drinking enough wah-wah?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:58

I should be working out , but no, I am not....I could probably use some more "wah-wah" though, ...water and exercise are probably the 2 biggest things I need to incorporate more of in my life....I drink around 32oz, which is more than I used to drink, but I'll try drinking more than that today to see if that helps...my legs are very muscular, so maybe they are dehydrated, it only just started with this WOE...

Thanks..

I will report back tomorrow

Debbie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 07:54

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

My suggestion is to increase your protein and make sure you are getting enough calcium. Lack of calcium will cause leg cramps and muscles don't heal as quickly from exercise without enough protein.

You are doing so well with your weight loss!! I'm jealous!

Amy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:05
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Debbie!

Awesome progress!
My little advice: this WOE is a natural diuretic, flushing out minerals from the body, so two very important things are:

- drink lots of water!
- take magnesium and calcium supplements

I understand some people don't like water, but on this WOE it's really important, our kidneys need it since they are working overtime getting rid of all toxins that were stored in fat.

Take care!
Alina
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:11

Kristine:

My legs were aching very badly (hurt like with the flu, but relevant to only my legs), however I did down some water, felt like I was going to float away and today when I woke up, the aching was gone, just not the "almost gonna cramp" feeling...so I will drink up some more today.

Amy:

I have thought about taking just a calcium supplement (even though calcium is included in the multivitamin i take, but its only 40% of RDA, so that is an option to add more) And I'm jealous of you!!! You've broken not only the 200 barrier, but the 190's barrier too!! Way to go...

Thanks for the suggestions
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

You may want to have a look at taking some Potassium as well, thats what helped me get over that weak leg feeling, as well, in the Dr.A books he says to increase your carbs a bit if you are getting weak legs, while going up stairs ect.

Are you taking Blood Pressure meds?? Check with your Doctor about the Potssium first.

Cheers Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:59

Kathy:

My blood pressure has always been normal, aside from pregnancy, (which i'm done and over with, never to happen again ) And I do take some potassium supplements, it says one a day, but it only provides 3% of RDA, so I've been taking 5 a day, just wasn't sure if I should take more than that.

Alina:

Thanks for your response, and you among others have hit on a weakness. Not enough water....and I don't take a calcium supplement, which is on my list to get.

Thank you Everyone for your suggestions!!!