Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 20:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Is whey powder a dairy product?

am cooking for someone w/ dairy intolerance, want to make protien bars so i use a significant amount. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 21:33
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi lattegrl

My understanding is that whey is lactose-rich so you should avoid using whey powder for lactose intolerance.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 22:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi S.

Yes, plain whey powder is very high in lactose and carbs. I'm guessing that you mean whey protein isolate powder? Check the label, most of the better quality whey protein powders are microfilitered, and lactose has been removed.

If the concern is an allergy to dairy protein ... it "may" be ok. Most people with dairy allergy (as opposed to lactose intolerance) react to casein protein .. and this is removed during the filtering process. The proteins remaining are usually lactalbumin, lactoferrin, lactoglobulin and some other lacto-peptides.

~~~~~

Just out of curiosity, what were you planning to use as the binder, since most of the recipes call for cream and/or cream cheese? Perhaps almond butter or creamed coconut (plain raw coconut that's been puréed and compressed into solid blocks) might work, if the problem with dairy is severe.

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Thanks so much

doreen you got me checking- what i have is Whey protien powdered drink mix, EAS brand, the label (in part) reads :
1 scoop(28g)
cals 115
fat cals 20
Total carbs 3g
fiber 0
sugars 3g
protien 21g
calcium160mg
stevia 25mg

ingredients: whey protien concentrate, whey protien isolate natural and artifical flavors, lecithin and acesulfame potassium.

I buy this at walmart and use it in protien bars, and added to my waffle and pancake mix, i just started on my 2nd 12 oz can of it since starting atkins, i like the smell and taste of it. would love your comments.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 21:58
Forum Founder

BF:

Not sure what you want me to comment on? The recipes sound great, I say go for it As for your friend with the dairy problems ... if the protein bars contain the equivalent of one serving of the powder or less, and as long as you didn't use other dairy ingredients, they should be fine as far as lactose is concerned. If it's an allergy to dairy proteins, that might be another story. Best to ask and find out for sure.

That's a nice gesture for you to make the bars for them

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Whey Powder

Hi Doreen,
I have a question, and you seem very knowledgable. do you know the carb count for plain whey powder?? I found it and have used it to replace the whey protien powder for some recipes. Its whey cheaper!!
I use it in muffins etc. that my kids eat - and I eat them too. If it's higher carb, I will just leave it for the kids, 'cause it will still be better than store bought muffins or the other kinds I used to bake, and cheaper than using the whey protein powders.
thanks
Carolyn
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 10:16
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

hi Carolyn,

Plain whey powder is very high in carbs; higher than skim milk powder even, since it has most of the lactose leftover from the cheese- or butter-making process. Which is where whey comes from

Plain whey powder is approx. 75% carbs by weight, which translates into 54g per ½ cup (dry). Ordinary skim milk powder is 52% carbs by weight, which is approx. 18g per ½ cup (dry).

Plain whey powder improves the texture of baked goods, muffins etc, but it's not really a nutritional booster, especially if what you want is more protein ... whey powder only has 9g protein per ½ cup, as opposed to skim milk powder, which has 12.5g per ½ cup.

~~~~

The whey protein isolate powders are expensive because they're purified and filtered ... nearly all of the lactose carbs are removed, and the end-product is 90% protein or higher. Plain whey powder is only 12% protein.

If you can afford the carbs, you might consider using skim milk powder and the more expensive whey protein isolate in a 50:50 mix for your muffins. They will still be whey lower in carbs , less lactose and more protein for your $$$.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:58

Plan: calp or atkins
Stats: 195/185/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default whey powder

I to am allergic to milk. Your question sent to the epicurious dictionary. According to them whey is a by product of cheese making so I dont think i would use it.